First "Start Up" Car

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!
hahah we will continue to follow our passion! racing runs in the family!

we hard head to dow even bother telling us to stop.

heading up drags on the weekend hopefully, if it has, pics to come

i hoping to get a handle on my first official race as a legal driver!

yepp! No drags this weekend, so no driving for me :( but one day coming , soon!

I'm only 18. My parents sent me to do manual when i was 17(manual or go home yo). I learned to drive in a b14 for practice and the test and after that i learned in the family's Corolla Altis for a year. I was really good at managing the gears and I truly loved the feeling I got from driving a manual, so much so that I had problems staying fully alert in the comfort of the Altis a lot.

Now that I've started university, my parents sold the Altis and they've given me a Hilux which is basically like my first vehicle as I am the sole driver and "mechanic" for it.

Re: First

The first car I learnt to drive in was a car me and my dad built when I was 5 , it was a manual car with a 120y engine, rear wheel drive, with a datsun 720 gearbox and transmission if I remember correctly, I learnt to drive that all over the country when I was 5-7

[hsimg:2egd3nm3]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/14/ede3udyz.jpg[/hsimg:2egd3nm3]

Then I learnt to drive in a Ford Cortina that my dad had for drag racing , had a RB26DETT I think, was manual and lots of fun I was 10-13

Now going up for my license at 17 and looking to buy a nice little project car to run against my dads Mazda RX7 3rd gen ,I'm currently thinking about buying a laurel and putting a RB25DET in it and make it a street car, but I would like to make it a drifting car as well so if I have to go that way I would need a bigger budget lol!

Bro a Laurel with a 25 has been a dream of mine for some time... Its the ideal platform for skyline parts and the sound is just amazing

I'm only 18. My parents sent me to do manual when i was 17(manual or go home yo). I learned to drive in a b14 for practice and the test and after that i learned in the family's Corolla Altis for a year. I was really good at managing the gears and I truly loved the feeling I got from driving a manual, so much so that I had problems staying fully alert in the comfort of the Altis a lot.

Now that I've started university, my parents sold the Altis and they've given me a Hilux which is basically like my first vehicle as I am the sole driver and "mechanic" for it.

Nicee..I know how you feel.. Practised with manual B15 many years ago when i went for my license. when i started driving auto i second guessed myself for a week . If you are attending UWI look out for crazy drivers in TGR ..too much accidents in that place

Last edited:
Hi all I taught myself to drive at age 10 with my parents Toyota Corona MK11 by the age of 14 I was driving on the road got my license i week after my 17th birthday

Nicee..I know how you feel.. Practised with manual B15 many years ago when i went for my license. when i started driving auto i second guessed myself for a week . If you are attending UWI look out for crazy drivers in TGI ..too much accidents in that place
Indeed its uwi i attend... On a daily I have to ride pavements to avoid people from either running into my headlight or side swiping me.

Auto is cool but something with the manual keeps me awake lol

yea boi for real, manual just brings the entire car alive!

Ways sheppie! you didnt need to go to gym after ent? your hands mussbe buff buff without that power-steering!

Wow...I'm old, I started driving at 11, I practiced on an old box lancer PAP. I have a Suzuki Baleno right now....eyeing the new KIA Cerato though :)

Wow...I'm old, I started driving at 11, I practiced on an old box lancer PAP. I have a Suzuki Baleno right now....eyeing the new KIA Cerato though :)

How would you say the feeling of driving those older cars such as the box lancer compares to driving something from the post 1990 era?

Btw the new Cerato is awesome!

I remember long ago many of us could of practiced driving before getting our license by ourselves. I remember driving through my village without a license and no one would stop me or being safe because they were not much reckless drivers. Those were the days indeed! Now things are so different eh?

I remember long ago many of us could of practiced driving before getting our license by ourselves. I remember driving through my village without a license and no one would stop me or being safe because they were not much reckless drivers. Those were the days indeed! Now things are so different eh?
I can attest to this. The only place i used to drive without a license was in my yard. I continue to do this for vehicles which i do not have insurance coverage so for just about every other vehicle.
Its too risky to take the chance and even drive down the road and back without knowing what will happen.

How would you say the feeling of driving those older cars such as the box lancer compares to driving something from the post 1990 era?

Btw the new Cerato is awesome!

i can answer that question as well. now my corolla is a 1990 model, 1.5l engine with close to 100bhp. i'm eyeing a 96-99 ek civic with a 1.5l engine as well with similar bhp. the only difference is torque, type of ac, and how the power gets to the road. also drive tuscons and sportages as well as the sorento from kia, the new hilux and some foreign used cars as well. one thing i can say in all my driving, as old as my car may be its just as much fun to drive as the newer cars and even more so as i can now run down a sportage on the highway and beat it too (no engine or tranny mods). euro cars have the comfort overall as even my 1985 volvo 740 has heated seats, ac, 15psi stock boost, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc that all these newer cars have (except that boost).

i can answer that question as well. now my corolla is a 1990 model, 1.5l engine with close to 100bhp. i'm eyeing a 96-99 ek civic with a 1.5l engine as well with similar bhp. the only difference is torque, type of ac, and how the power gets to the road. also drive tuscons and sportages as well as the sorento from kia, the new hilux and some foreign used cars as well. one thing i can say in all my driving, as old as my car may be its just as much fun to drive as the newer cars and even more so as i can now run down a sportage on the highway and beat it too (no engine or tranny mods). euro cars have the comfort overall as even my 1985 volvo 740 has heated seats, ac, 15psi stock boost, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc that all these newer cars have (except that boost).
That sums it up but what i was really asking is whether its easier to drive the old cars because they arent as "bloated" meaning that you can actually see when you look out a window vs not being able to see your bonnet in new cars, do the inputs feel more raw and less assisted etc?

That sums it up but what i was really asking is whether its easier to drive the old cars because they arent as "bloated" meaning that you can actually see when you look out a window vs not being able to see your bonnet in new cars, do the inputs feel more raw and less assisted etc?

well the inputs are more "raw" as in you can actually feel the (steering, braking especially). as far as ease of driving it depends on the car. some older cars are without power steering which makes for a very responsive car at speed but a boat in tight spaces. non abs systems are prone to locking up but an experienced driver can compensate and maximise on it. yes they aren't as "bloated" as newer cars are as they lack "safety features" of newer cars and maybe some creature comforts as well.

well the inputs are more "raw" as in you can actually feel the (steering, braking especially). as far as ease of driving it depends on the car. some older cars are without power steering which makes for a very responsive car at speed but a boat in tight spaces. non abs systems are prone to locking up but an experienced driver can compensate and maximise on it. yes they aren't as "bloated" as newer cars are as they lack "safety features" of newer cars and maybe some creature comforts as well.
Not bad at all, I guess it's a matter of preference and skill at this point.
As you said the Volo 740 has all the comforts so maybe it's just that older style that's missing from modern cars.

I feel safer driving my VW Bora than my family's latest vehicles. My car is very hard and not made of those light weight material that newer cars are being maufactured from. My fiancee's vehicle literally bends in when someone leans on it .
Last year i got into a small accident with my vehicle and only the grill was bent. lol

As for road comfort , i feel nothing driving through rough roads and humps. I enjoy it because with newer vehicles one has to worry about every little thing.

I feel safer driving my VW Bora than my family's latest vehicles. My car is very hard and not made of those light weight material that newer cars are being maufactured from. My fiancee's vehicle literally bends in when someone leans on it .
Last year i got into a small accident with my vehicle and only the grill was bent. lol

As for road comfort , i feel nothing driving through rough roads and humps. I enjoy it because with newer vehicles one has to worry about every little thing.
Good point. The fenders on new cars are just beauty panels you can press your hand in it and put pits all over.
I think from what you're saying the only thing left that sort of fills that description is pickups and probably true body on frame suvs.

just an update guys i no longer have my first car. i let it go today in exchange for a very nice ek3. second car for the win!!

Back