Divali

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

madsuya

LV

Divali is a nationwide festival observed by the Hindu community...this year its on the 23rd October...its Known as the "Festival of Lights," Divali commemorates the time when the Lord Rama returned to his hometown Ayodhya after defeating the evil demon king of Lanka, Ravana....Lord Rama was the king of Ayodhya who had, by his father's orders, went away from his country to live in the forest for 14 yrs....but the people of Ayodhya loved their king very much and waited for years to meet with him again.....when news of Lord Rama's return came to them again, the people of Ayodhya, in the honour of their king and to celebrate his victory, burst crackers, lit up their houses with deyas and decorated the entire city in the grandest manner......Year after year this homecoming of Lord Rama is commemorated on Divali with lights, fireworks, bursting of crackers and enjoying a festive meal of Indian delicacies. The festival gets its name Deepawali, or Divali, from the rows of lights that the people of Ayodhya lit to welcome their King.....
hindus cook an have prayers on this day...its a day for family and friends to spend time together...some foods an delicacies are....Channa and Potato, roti,curry mango,rice, dhall, pumkin, mourtani saheena, buganie, aloo pie....some sweets are kurma, goulab jamoon, barfi, ladoo an parsad.. Women usually wear beautiful saris, shalwars and ghararas.....Women can also wear beautiful tunic tops with regular pants or skirts if you do not have traditional clothing.

Men wear kurtas (long shirt and pants)
Children wear lovely shalwars, ghararas and kurtas.....i will b celebrating Divali this year as always....will u be celebrating?

i am a member of the hindu community , and i cannot believe Divali has come upon us once again! its been a year already?

wow

so much work to do now!

every year we host a huge celebration as we are some of the only hindus in our area, so everyone passes by to eat ah food, or to light a deya , or to show their children what the festival is about

every year we light over 1000+ deyas at our home, this year will be no different. Preparations begin now!

Wow dude thats great to hear, for us every year we light less. We used to light over 1000 deyas at some point years ago but now hardly people passing by us now, everyone are married and people dont like to come inside a Trace.

Hahaha well bro, soon it will be you someday lol but I understand, every year the numbers decline for our celebrations

But there are always some random passers by who drop in for some food and end up staying for the community, or to help relight deyas that have gone out!

This festival truly does restore my hope in mind kind, after the kind of things society changing towards!

You start fasting as yet? and btw when i divali Nagar? . I know its does normally be like a week before but i cant be sure.

Lovely ! If anyone has plans to visit the Divali Nagar a night we can all meet up! I love Divali season, it reminds me of togetherness, harmony, peace, faith etc. and also i love the food galore!

Divali nagar to me lost its meaning a long time ago, its become over too commercial. Its all about selling stuff and its become a flea market which is sad because it should be about promoting Hinduism.

For the past three years I agree it has become more of a commercial than cultural event. But the show that they have every night that show cases the different stories and dances is basically the one cultural part of the event apart from the few religious stalls. I believe it starts Monday

Divali Nagar starts on Tuesday 14th, October. This year theme is Lord shiva.
And i do agree that ever year its more of ah commercial flee market, but the program every night do teaches more of our culture and your origins. And the covered auditorium has all the information if people want to find out more but in reality every one just wants the give aways lol....me to:high5::heh:

Divali Nagar starts on Tuesday 14th, October. This year theme is Lord shiva.
And i do agree that ever year its more of ah commercial flee market, but the program every night do teaches more of our culture and your origins. And the covered auditorium has all the information if people want to find out more but in reality every one just wants the give aways lol....me to:high5::heh:

I bet you does be in them long lines dogwoman waiting for free stuff..

well i'm guilty for waiting in long lines to collect free stuff...that d fun in d nagar....i dont miss it...my family and i attend a couple nights...buh every year its getting so commercialize...every ting ppl have selling including underware....103 fm...101.1 fm an a few other booths give us free stuff....the entertainment is the best..this year i'm goin the night 3veni is playing....this is my thing an not going to miss out....

Ministry of Works & Infrastructure, TTEC and Jusamco are lighting up the Divali Nagar Walkover for Diwali! Work has started tonight....well now ppl will say the hindu community getting plenty thing from d government....buh Hindus have businesses an moving forward an showing light for all to see...

I heard today will be the opening of the Divali Nagar...Any news? Yes i usually go with my fiance and his family and collect free stuff as well lmbo! The food is also awesome!

well it looks like this year our family might not be going nagar for the first time :/ such a disappointment.

if i get chance i will go by myself yes , cant miss my friends performing on stage for the indian cultural showcases that they have!

plus i need a new kurta suit/ Sherwani ....my one from last year disappear :(

It will be nice to go this year however, my fiance is not impressed..he say he not risking catching Ebola..WTF! :argue:

Back