what is an appropriate time to start dating?

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!
I personally think that it depends on the individuals' level of maturity. I'm 16 years old and mature enough to have finished secondary school. I'm now in a tertiary level school with 19 year olds and above.
Anyway, most parents don't want their children to get involved with their peers like that.. or in my case, not even TALK to someone of the opposite sex.
It's okay for a couple to go out together as long as they know eachother's backgrounds. If they're my age then their parents should take the time to get to know eachother. They can't simply assume that their son/daughter is not old enough for a relationship. They can make any amount of excuses they want, such as being a distraction from school, but some teens can divide their school work and their relationships and not let one affect the other to any great extent.
Some teens can't do that, though, and in some cases it doesnt matter how old they are, they simply can't divide it like that.
Some parents are just totally ridiculous in the way they treat their children, and don't see that by destroying a relationship, can actually make it worse for them.
So point is, it doesn't matter how old you are, as long as you can handle being in a relationship. You can't say that teens shouldn't be dating because it leads to sex, because many 20-something year old go out looking for sex as well. It's instinct and some people can control it, but others can't.

Re: whats an appropriate time to start dating?

Brilliant first post dude.
And I couldn't agree more. For instance I'm a 20 year old with the emotional maturity of a 14 year old. I know not to be in a serious relationship, I'm too immature emotionally for that. When I get comfortable with myself then I'll seek that level of relationship.

rau cous you must be ah only child!!!!!

Pokeamunkey said:
So point is, it doesn't matter how old you are, as long as you can handle being in a relationship. You can't say that teens shouldn't be dating because it leads to sex.

I still feel that some teens can't handle relationship matters even though they may be mature. In case of a girl she should be studying books rather than boys....When a relationship is not going well, do you think you can handle the pressure that comes with it and study!!!

^^ Lol. I'm the youngest, I've three older brothers so I always thought of myself as a child.
Some guys need to be studying books too, I dont think some know why the want a girl in thier life. Seriously if they're lonely I'd understand but some just do it for having a girlfriend's sake. As if they fulfilling the role to keep up apparences. After all what kind of dude doesnt have a girlfriend. Some dont know what they're getting into lol.

Pokeamunkey said:
but some teens can divide their school work and their relationships and not let one affect the other to any great extent. quote]

Its true that is soo trueee.....But one thing that i hate is when parents Send their child to a mix primary skool and an all girls school and expect their child to only talk to girls..Thats really sad

Some children mature faster than other children so its difficult to directly answer your question...but in today society most kids start dating from 14-16 years old

It may vary in some countries but i because people should start dating at 16 years no younger any younger than that will cause problems and if you are dating you young person like 16 years you should be around that same age not 6 years older like some people

Hmm. I think it depends on the maurity level of the child. I think that 16 is an appropriate time to start dating. At that age a child should more or less be educated to some degree in the dynamics of the whole dating scene. I would assume their parents would have talked to them about the aspects of dating. Also warned them against what line not to cross. Then again this cannot be applied across the board. Some parent never have those types of conversation with their children.

thats awesome. my bro met his gf at the age of 17 and now he a little older and thinking about marriage. HELP ME LORD!

-Karrie said:
thats awesome. my bro met his gf at the age of 17 and now he a little older and thinking about marriage. HELP ME LORD!
Well good for him...

Haha not good. I doh want him to leave me but he still young i find he should wait a good 3 years more

I didn't mean it literally. I got the feeling that he was a young dude.lol

lol.... the appropriate time to start dating is when you feel that your children responsible and mature enough to balance everything in one eg. school and boyfriend

Back