What has been your scariest experience as a driver?

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

nirtime

LV

What has been your most scary experience driving where you thought for a second you were toast?

For me it has been holding brakes after a white Kia Sportage decides to follow very closely behind a one ton Hyundai Truck on the right lane of the highway. The driver of the Kia suddenly realises traffic is stopping and he stomps on his brake and pulls to the right of the truck to avoid hitting the truck. It was scary for me since I was driving behind this person and I had to hold my brakes and engage my engine brake. For a second I thought i was going to sandwich the Sportage between my front and the rear of the truck.
That was my scariest experience which later turned into one of my most angry experiences when I realised what exactly went on.

Let's see. I've had a few. First time was when I was driving the church bus up the highway and I was proceeding with a bit of pace on the incline after Gasparillo when as I broke the crest I met standstill traffic. Stomped on the brakes and I stopped with just a few inches breathing room.

Then the day I had my first accident. Was driving an enclosed truck for a company and was making a tight turn in upper San Juan and completely tore off the front of a car.

And again when I was picking my dad up from the airport and was kinda late so I was flying low in his car and a car just flew in front of me and slowed down for no reason. Almost spun out but then again I know that car.

So I've had my fair share of 'crap your pants' moments on the highway

Could have died on the Valencia-Grande stretch several years ago. Overtaking a line of cars and very... barely... cutting in front a maxi full of passengers to avoid a high speed head on with an oncoming car.

I can't even tell you what color or make of car it was I avoided, because the oncoming driver clearly made up his mind that he was not swerving nor slowing down. I just saw a blur pass me as I managed to avoid hitting the car in front me while slowing down.. I sure every passenger in that maxi respected my death that day...

The most scariest experience in my life as a driver when i was drive my Car on the hills at night.It was the scariest drive ever.My heart pumping out when i drove the car.

The most scariest experience in my life as a driver when i was drive my Car on the hills at night.It was the scariest drive ever.My heart pumping out when i drove the car.
That can be quite scary lol

Could have died on the Valencia-Grande stretch several years ago. Overtaking a line of cars and very... barely... cutting in front a maxi full of passengers to avoid a high speed head on with an oncoming car.

I can't even tell you what color or make of car it was I avoided, because the oncoming driver clearly made up his mind that he was not swerving nor slowing down. I just saw a blur pass me as I managed to avoid hitting the car in front me while slowing down.. I sure every passenger in that maxi respected my death that day...
God is good Saxman642 , you weren't ready to die just then. Its a good thing you got the dashcams now for these same reasons.

Waw scary stories there !

I was driving home 12:46am on Boxing Day 2014 coming home from Tabaquite to Chaguanas. I was driving in Palmiste where there are alot of curvy roads. Suddenly i spot this old car driving from afar on my lane with no headlights on. I started pressing my horn from afar ..The man never moved ..I began to press and press and even switched on my high beam and he's still heading in my direction. I swear my life flashed before me . He was in the middle of the two lanes now swerving nearning to hit me and suddenly i pulled to side of the road where it had a clearning nearly missing a light pole . Lucky i wasn't driving fast ! I could not even see into the car, the old thing had all the glass winded up and still continuing on its way. I wish i had a dash cam to record that !

Yeah its quite scary for me because its a horrible lengthy peaks of the mountains around my car.I just fell into depression when i saw the road.

Yeah its quite scary for me because its a horrible lengthy peaks of the mountains around my car.I just fell into depression when i saw the road.

Slowly does it, sometimes headlights aren't enough. Can be really scary lol.

Waw scary stories there !

I was driving home 12:46am on Boxing Day 2014 coming home from Tabaquite to Chaguanas. I was driving in Palmiste where there are alot of curvy roads. Suddenly i spot this old car driving from afar on my lane with no headlights on. I started pressing my horn from afar ..The man never moved ..I began to press and press and even switched on my high beam and he's still heading in my direction. I swear my life flashed before me . He was in the middle of the two lanes now swerving nearning to hit me and suddenly i pulled to side of the road where it had a clearning nearly missing a light pole . Lucky i wasn't driving fast ! I could not even see into the car, the old thing had all the glass winded up and still continuing on its way. I wish i had a dash cam to record that !

Thats a very strange situation. Good thing you were able to deal with it defensively. I'm really not sure what takes some of these people, its as if they are under the influence of something worse than alcohol.

On a single lane road where the opposite side hard a line of traffic and your going down the left lane that was empty, random guy decides to drive his like he stole it b16. Came head on with me, didn't know what to do so I ended up in the ditch kinda drain... thank god I didn't damage the van because I wasn't getting he to fix it

On a single lane road where the opposite side hard a line of traffic and your going down the left lane that was empty, random guy decides to drive his like he stole it b16. Came head on with me, didn't know what to do so I ended up in the ditch kinda drain... thank god I didn't damage the van because I wasn't getting he to fix it

Man kick on the 4 wheel and ride up he bonnet! Half d time them kinda fellas does drop d B series till it can't take a hump, could easily ride up on them with a stock suspension setup.

EXACT THING but the random guy decides to do a 3 point turn to escape traffic and pulls out on you just so !

Yesterday night at around 11 a person with a almera almost write off my car was driving to go back to the highway and it has a corner b4 u reach ato stadium when going back to the highway this white almera cross over the line to come on my side on the road missing a corolla infront and coming to me it would have been a t-bone collision if i hadnt reacted and pull a little way into the grass and avoided, the speed he was coming at if i hadnt reacted and avoided it looked like if i had gotten the impact it would have flipeed my car into the bush..funny thing the driver pulled his car back under control and when i watched in the rear view mirror he did the same thing again a little further down .. i think he was drunk tho :/

Actually when driving in these situation so its on up yours what you have to do with the moments.That,s quite scary for me to drive on the hills at night.

This is by far the scariest experience I've ever had on the road and very people know about it. When I was underage, someone regularly gave me driving lessons. I was basically set until I reached licensing age for my license at that point and intended to learn manual by then. One evening, while driving back from an event, I ended up behind a trail of stagnant cars not very far from my home at the time. The licensed adult driver resumed the driving position and we first predicted that it was a roadblock, then a minor accident. As we got closer to people shrieking and crying, screaming and collapsing in tears, it grew darker. Many of the people were dressed in suits and dresses so my first thought was that it was a wedding accident.

Long story short, the victims were 5 young boys going to their prom. They sped around the corner and were crushed by a MAC truck speeding towards them with an alleged sleeping driver behind the wheel. All five boys died on the scene, though not all died immediately. (Driver had not a scratch on him) Our car reached almost parallel to theirs as we were stopped and told to wait for the victims to be cut out of the car as the relevant authorities were ready. The bodies were dragged out right in front of us to a neighboring yard just feet away from my passenger side window as guts fell out trailing behind them and I could see at least one chest rising and sinking too deep, too quickly and blood continued pooling around some of the bodies even after they were laid out. There were spotlights aimed at the car so the authorities could see clearly so we saw the last ones to be taken out skewered by the engine and other car parts before they were cut free. We were soon told to proceed driving as someone came out with white sheets and began covering the bodies, which immediately became soaked in blood.

I did not have a phone so I did not receive any of the texts or frantic calls to my relatives' phones that night. The next morning I was informed that a good friend who also happened to be a relative was trying to get in contact with me. The 5 boys were 5 closely related family members that lived right next to each other. She grew up with them all living with her or right next door. She was also there that night, not very far behind the MAC truck and heard the bang. Her brother had internal bleeding and died, choking on his own blood in front of her. She and her entire family were distraught and things were never quite the same. At the funeral, the faces were stitched up as best as possible but the bodies were completely sunken and in place of the normal mass of the bodies were flowers to make up the space. There was so much damage that all of the insides were removed and some of them could not be stitched together properly due to the extent of the damage. I'll end it there but the whole experience was terrible, and unspeakably worse for the close family and friends of the incident.

I did not get behind the wheel of a car again until a few years ago when someone forced me to try again. It ended quite poorly and abruptly with me having a panic attack and I tried one official driving class last year and ran out of the car shaking at the end. Progress nonetheless, but that entire experience is why I'm very uppity about car safety and still do not drive.

You weren't even driving. That sucks highly. Too bad it scarred you for life though. But an accident like that isn't something you get over like that.

I was driving until we stopped in the traffic, then I switched places with the licensed person in the car in case it was a roadblock. I don't think a breathalyzer was done on the truck driver and I remember he was not arrested and the family did not press charges. It made international news and was then quickly swept under the rug for the next news story.

At the end of the day once we step into a car that is the chance we take. Driver, passenger or just out of necessity, we are taking the chance. I've seen how trucks drive here, in this case the driver fell asleep and that is totally unacceptable.

I've personally almost gotten a truck driver fired once for almost rear ending me at the cut out to come off the highway along Nasaloo Ramaya Road(Divali Nagar road). Driving with a trailer loaded with fuel the driver thinks the tractor cab with a trailer filled with flammable liquids is a 4wd Pulsar GTi-R. Man almost could not stop in time and had to do all sorts of antics to avoid running into me. Then proceeding along the road he is tailgating me so I release the gas and he comes closer then backs off a bit. I see he makes attempts to over take by pulling the truck into the oncoming lane and I speed up each time he does that because there are cars on the opposing lane heading directly for this wanna-be sports car driver.

He eventually reaches up very closely behind me and I do not increase my speed, he squeezes between my pick up truck and the barrier at the cut out for those heading left into Movie Towne at the Round About. I capture this particular motion on my dash cam where he speeds through the cut out meant to go left into the mall area but instead proceeds to head up the roundabout at high speed and I call the transport company who owns the truck. Thankfully they were smart enough to put their logo on the truck. Thankfully staff were very understanding and courteous because I was not going to let that slip.

I had a passenger with me that day. I was lucky to be alive. I made it my business to do the right thing and call the company to report the incident. Most people like to tell me I am wasting my time, I am too serious about other people on the road etc... Had I not made a phone call and had the company not also received reports from other drivers about this same fuel tanker truck, who knows, someone or a family might have ended up just like the story above.

A lot of drivers with company vehicles tend to be quite reckless on the whole IMO. I think some of them just hope the company will deal with the mess if anything happens.

Back