Weekend Estimates: 2-4 April 2010: Clash #1, Married #2

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

TFM

LV

Very, very early estimates via Deadline Hollywood:

Friday Estimates

1. Clash of the Titans - $30M.
2. Why Did I Get Married Too - $13M
3. How To Train Your Dragon - $11.2M
4. The Last Song - $7M
5. Alice In Wonderland - $3M

Thoughts:

Clash opens very similarly to Fast & Furious last year (which ended up grossing $70M OW), but estimates say Clash is going for $65M. I guess that's expecting a big drop on Saturday (word of mouth is poor). This film was tracking much bigger during the week so anything less than $70M and the biggest April opener will seem like a miss to some.

Why Did I Get Married Too almost doubles its predecessor's opening day and looks to get to $30M. Another hit for Tyler Perry and Co.

How To Train Your Dragon holds well, but I still think it should have held better considering how great its weekday numbers were. It's gaining a lot of ground on Monsters vs Aliens which is like a blueprint to its run. (MvA was another Dreamworks animation that opened on the same weekend as Dragon last year) Here's hoping it hits $30M.

The Last Song follows up a $5M opening day with a $7M Friday. Much better showing for any stars breaking away from their core franchices (like Robert Pattison "Remember Me", Kristen Stewart "The Runaways" recently) so this will be a win for her. Going for a $16M weekend.

Alice is hoping to reach $8M this weekend after losing many of its 3D screens to Clash.

Easter Sunday is like a black hole for movie grosses so it won't be able to recover much. All the movies will see a bigger than usual dip on Sunday, but they have Monday to do a little more.

Ok.. Just returned from seeing Tyler Perry's new movie Why Did I Get Married Too...and.. I must admit, that he has finally come home. Tyler Perry returns to form with this follow up to the first movie... I thoroughly enjoyed the movie...I mean..wow. It was a personal best for him in my book.. I can safely say that this movie outshines Diary of a Mad Black Woman. All the cast from the original movie returns for the sequel bringing familiarity and the troubles they had carried over since the last outing. The most outstanding performance was that of Janet Jackson. She stole the show. The raw emotion and powerful performance eminated from her in every scene that she had. The movie has alot of twists and turns and is an absolute joy to watch. The script while not entirely stellar, was solid and the acting was on par most of the time. There were times when the script somewhat dipped, but quickly regained its footing and direction. There were also the (what i call it) cheesy factors. Tyler Perry has this knack of having some really cheesy scenes in his film. The scene that is meant to take as an outright message. While its is present in Married Too, its not as prominent. Also in contrast to most of his film, this movie lacked the heavy religous factor. It also was subtle but enough to be picked up on. I can't say how much I liked this movie. The only downside i really had was at the ending, somewhat character revelation was ...errr...revealed and it was a total mis-match from the momentum the rest of the show had build. All in all, its a solid effort from Tyler and reminds us of why we like Tyler Perry in the first place.
Why Did I Get Married Too gets a solid 4/5.

Well, I only ever saw WDIGM and I thought it was entertaining, so maybe the sequel lives up. I heard good things about his first couple movies but apparently the quality started to decline somewhere around Meet The Browns.

It did. But like i said in my post above. Tyler Perry has redeemed himself with this movie. trust me. If you like the first movie, the sequel is a huge stride forward.. Go see it. You won't be disappointed.

Weekend Actuals

1. Clash of the Titans - $61.2M
2. Why Did I Get Married Too - $29.3M
3. How To Train Your Dragon - $29M
4. The Last Song - $16M
5. Alice In Wonderland - $8M

Back