Volney in HOSPITAL??!!

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

RauCous

LV

HEART SURGERY FOR VOLNEY
Kamla: We're hoping for the best
Joel Julien joel.julien@trinidadexpress.com
Wednesday, June 23rd 2010

JUSTICE MINISTER Herbert Volney is scheduled to undergo heart surgery today, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar said last night.

The Caribbean Heart Care Medcorp Ltd team led by Prof Theodorri of Italy is expected to perform bypass surgery on Volney around 8 a.m. today.

The surgery is expected to last about two hours.

Volney was 57 years old on June 8.

After experiencing "discomfort" on Monday night Volney admitted himself to the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex (EWMSC), Mt Hope yesterday, Persad-Bissessar said.

LENDING SUPPORT: Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, left, and Health Minister Therese Baptiste-Cornelis at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex last night.

Volney visited the hospital around 8.30 a.m. yesterday, the Express learnt.

He underwent several diagnostic tests at the hospital’s Cardiac Catherisation Lab yesterday.

He was at risk of suffering a heart attack, test results showed.

Tests determined that Volney’s "arteries are blocked" and bypass surgery would be the best option to solve the problem, Persad-Bissessar said.

Volney had blockages in his arteries two years ago, she said.

Angioplasty, the technique of mechanically widening a narrowed or obstructed blood vessel, will not adequately deal with the blockage, Persad-Bissessar said.

The surgery was ordered for Volney today, Dr Clifford Thomas, the cardiologist who performed the diagnostic tests on Volney, said.

His two-hour procedure is the first scheduled for today for the Caribbean Heart Care team.

Volney is expected to be out of office for approximately two months following his surgery, Persad-Bissessar said.

Legal Affairs Minister Prakash Ramadhar will hold on during Volney’s absence from office.

Volney’s Cabinet colleagues, Health Minister Therese Baptiste-Cornelis, Ramadhar and Persad-Bissessar visited him yesterday.

After visiting Volney for about 15 minutes last night, Persad-Bissessar told reporters at the hospital that he was in "very fine spirits".

"I think he will be fine and we are hoping for the best," she said.

Baptiste-Cornelis said Volney’s decision to use local health care was testimony that the "health care provided can work for all of us".

Also present yesterday to lend Volney support were his wife Tricia, sons Christopher and Justin, friend and former UNC minister Carlos John and other family members.

Seriously what goin on there.. I find the lack of conspiracy theories disconcerting.

That's dred.. I wish him all the best and luck during his surgery. I hope that he has a successful proceedure and a speedy recovery. After all he has work to do..lol.

Damn he so young to do heart surgery but thats what happening these days. hope he gets better :)

Back