TSTT Emergency Service

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

LadyDeath

Senior Marketing Officer
Staff member
LV

THE Telecommunications Services of Trinidad and Tobago (TSTT) yesterday launched an emergency messaging service. However, in the event of a natural disaster, only customers on Bmobile's network will be alerted, according to TSTT's executive vice-president of mobile services, Lisa Agard.
Speaking at the launch of the programme at the head office of Ministry of National Security in Port of Spain yesterday, Agard said, "We were more concerned with the platform that we developed for connection to our customers. ... I would say, however, having regard to the size of our customer base, which exceeds 800,000 prepaid customers and about 120,000 postpaid customers, that we more or less hit the entire population of Trinidad and Tobago, so there is absolutely no question of any national of Trinidad and Tobago not being able to receive an emergency SMS (short messaging service)."
She made the comment in response to questions from members of the media as to why the service was not being made available to all cellphone users, including those who use Digicel's service, given the fact that it was to be used in cases of emergency, including natural disasters.
Partly owned by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago, TSTT is this country's major telecommunications provider as well as the parent company of Bmobile. As such, National Security Minister, Brigadier John Sandy, said this was the reason it was chosen for the programme.
"I am advised that this is how it is intended to work. Once the ODPM releases an advisory, it will first go to members of Government and the first-response agencies. It is intended that the ESMS will cover effectively both islands of our republic. If there is an emergency or disaster specific to either of the two islands, then the broadcast will facilitate only that specific territory," Sandy said.
Under an agreement between TSTT and the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management (ODPM), TSTT, has agreed to allow its subsidiary, Bmobile, to absorb the cost of sending the messages

This is a great idea however i think both networks should implement this ..

LOL my idea came true ODPM collaborated with both networks for the emergency service. i got a txt last week from my digi stating that it will be working yay

Thats a good thought. It shows that the system works in case of a disaster but I'm not sure the calling system will work. They will be flooded by calls and jus as it happen some years ago , it will crash. But the TSTT Emergency Ser.is a start to something good

Yup any little earth quake their lines does crash lol

Back