Teacher's Pay

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

Steven Ramadar

LV

Teachers are the basis of every jobs because they pass on their knowledge to us. Whether or not they can teach well they still do. The amount of work they have to do and problems they have to deal with (including students and Tim Goopesingh) IMO the pay isn't worth it.

They should offer some kind of incentive for more people to be encouraged to teach.

What do you all think?

I agree, but even so there are still many who get involved only for the money and despite avoiding their own classes or just neglecting to teach (basically just collecting pay for showing up when they feel like it and doing what they want anyway), ranks or connections keep them employed. Whatever incentives keep the good guys in should also discourage the slackers from wasting time and depriving students of a decent education.

I agree, but even so there are still many who get involved only for the money and despite avoiding their own classes or just neglecting to teach (basically just collecting pay for showing up when they feel like it and doing what they want anyway), ranks or connections keep them employed. Whatever incentives keep the good guys in should also discourage the slackers from wasting time and depriving students of a decent education.
Agreed. Good point. But as with any profession there would be shakers
are you a teacher i need to know before i answer that
No but my mum is

As far as I know, teachers get paid pretty well already, compared to other service jobs. Not to mention, shorter working days and more vacation time. I strongly disagree with the need to pay teachers more for them to perform better. There are allot of unemployed qualified people who would jump at the opportunity to teach and I believe allot of the teachers today have become complacent. Although it doesn't help when parents leave all of the children's responsibilities to the teachers. And some of the children today belong behind bars....drugs, under age sex, violence, drinking, theft, bullying, it's soo sad...

As far as I know, teachers get paid pretty well already, compared to other service jobs. Not to mention, shorter working days and more vacation time. I strongly disagree with the need to pay teachers more for them to perform better. There are allot of unemployed qualified people who would jump at the opportunity to teach and I believe allot of the teachers today have become complacent. Although it doesn't help when parents leave all of the children's responsibilities to the teachers. And some of the children today belong behind bars....drugs, under age sex, violence, drinking, theft, bullying, it's soo sad...

I'm in agreement with this, i don't think teachers deserve an incentive to do their work better. Normal pay is enough incentive to work, to me Trini's always think they deserve an increase in pay especially the public service but with any increase of pay it will not change the mindset of the workers. You will still get the same bad customer service.

Teachers salary actually start at $4000-$5000 and goes up to only $15000 for principals. And unlike 10 years ago teachers gave to get degrees to even start. Soon it will be masters.

Also look at the 'quality' of most children now. Rude, hard to discipline and most of these problems can't be solved because it stems from the home. Its the worse to spend a day in my mother's school. Can't hit any children when they're rude and if she does she runs the risk of being fired.

Common misconception is that teaching is an easy job. It is only an easy job if you don't care about the children.

I go to school and trust me when I say teaching is no easy job

I agree with Steven. For teachers that actually care about the children and do their jobs right, it's not enough. They aren't only serving as educators, but as guidance, protectors, advocates, and in many cases they are often the closest thing to normal, healthy figures of authority and nurture. I've had teachers that have impacted my life in so many great, positive ways I can't help but admire them greatly for putting up with the wayward students and uncooperative parents with the pay they get.

$4000-$5000 is maybe fore pre school teachers, i know that primary school teachers get around 6000-8000 thousand and secondary school teachers around 8000-14000 plus.
Yes teaching is a hard job but its the case where you apply for the job knowing this. Its the way a person applies to be police officer knowing the risk and the salary should they get a better salary due to the increase risk they face every day.

What if it was possible to track their progress and reward those that worked for it? Probably as a general incentive for service jobs in general. I don't think police officers are paid enough to risk their lives, safety and family's safety either btw.

$4000-$5000 is maybe fore pre school teachers, i know that primary school teachers get around 6000-8000 thousand and secondary school teachers around 8000-14000 plus.
Yes teaching is a hard job but its the case where you apply for the job knowing this. Its the way a person applies to be police officer knowing the risk and the salary should they get a better salary due to the increase risk they face every day.

The starting pay is actually around $4500. Every year it increases buy $150 and every 3 years TTUTA negotiated for a raise. You'll never understand how a teacher feels until you sit in a class (primary or secondary)

Steven hits the nail on the head, Shadowhunter paints the reality.
Its very very very true that a lot of teachers, namely the majority of young teachers, they have a very "don't care" mentality, they are just there for collecting pay or passing time. Its almost as if they are nonexistant because the children who fight the odds and go to school every single day really waste their time and resources under these teachers who care nothing but for themselves.

I wrote CSEC in 2012 and I can safely say that at my school, I had to either do the work myself or take lessons for 75% of my subjects. There were too many absentee teachers, too many lazy teachers or teachers who just couldn't deliver content in a logical, chronological and sensible manner due to them not knowing the actual work or because they didn't really care.
On the flip side, I've had and continue to have lecturers and tutors who have a large conscience. They are people who are very caring and considerate and want to see everyone perform at their max capacity. These are the people who really deserve to be teachers, I say that because there is great demand for the teaching job. Added to that, there are teachers who are very passionate about their jobs and they like delivering to these youths knowing they can be an integral part of their life. Such teachers are slowly disappearing and it doesn't help with the pressure from Tim G.

Starting at the basics, Primary school, the children are very rude and insolent. Their behaviour is unregulated at home and the school is expected to deal with it.
The problem is, these teachers, their hands are tied. They really have little effective measures for dealing with indiscipline. The parents think they are the employer, they feel they can override the teachers and speak to them as they wish. There is very little respect for teachers at the primary level nowadays and it doesn't help that young kids, 6,7 and 8 years of age know more vice than the teachers themselves in some cases.

To say they deserve more pay, I think yes because prices are rising and if a teacher is the sole breadwinner in a family, it can prove very difficult to survive on the salary. That can also apply for other fields as well. Don't quote me with the macro economics please lol.

-I think that Guidance Counselors should be permanent in the schools and not be there for 2 days of the week. Too many teachers have the play the role of parents and counselors while being a teacher and that should not be the case.

-They are also teaching students at UTT child psychology and student assessment to proper handle foreign situations outside/inside of the teaching environment and detect children with learning disablilties so that they can get professional help from correct institutions. This would help teachers to understand their student body .

-Also i think that Metal Detectors and Security guards need to be placed at entrances checking each and every individual before they enter on the school compound. This is to provide teachers with a sense of safety inside a classroom.

- Lastly i think that teachers are getting holidays more than everyone and shorter work hours. Sometimes they have to complete assessments for the ministry and carry home children's tests and projects to mark.

So with all this said, yes raise their pay but with normal working hours e.g 8-4pm or 7:30 - 3:30pm so they can complete all their extra work and not bring them home.

Look at Police- Day and night they are working putting their lives out on the line everyday , being exposed to drugs , guns , criminals who can later target them and many more stressful situations . Their salaries after deductions is like 5000-6000. I think personally that is not enough ! Just like teachers they know the job before applying .

I've had teachers smoking, sleeping, and chatting on the phone in class, taking away from students' education. There have been teachers who walk in and say "allyuh do what allyuh want but be quiet in case de VP pass, I eh feeling like teaching today". To the students that aren't thinking about the long term results, they rejoice and encourage it, to those that do realize their education is going down the drain, they know what they are missing out on and are unable to do anything about it.

As LadyDeath said, the student teachers in universities are learning how to handle difficult situations appropriately, but many of the teachers we have today come with 20+ years of experience in the classroom that does not include that kind of knowledge. I think parents and teachers need to work together to help students progress or everyone has a hard time. Both parents and teachers need to be updated with the new strides being made in education, and once both are working on the same page, for the same results, things may run a lot more smoothly.

In many schools in the states, parents are more than welcome to meet with teachers and discuss concerns, suggestions, and ways to continue working together. It's actually mandatory at least once every term. Teachers receive feedback from parents and students, members from the board of education, and their work is reflected in their students' assignments, yearly national exams, and district wide competitions. They use their vacation and after-school times for mandatory teaching workshops on everything from new subject matters to guidance and psychology. Teachers that cannot measure up to these expectations are fired. I think this is best, and much better than the belief most parents have of being the only ones in charge and completely overriding the teachers' requests (which can encourage disrespect to them) or teachers that disregard what goes on in the home and expect to be the sole authority in children's lives.

Of course we know that there are unruly children (and parents, other teachers and members of staff etc) to deal with in the schools and this could be considered a risk on the job, but not everyone thinks like that. For those that see the unruly children and run from the responsibility, maybe that's best for them. But there are so many teachers out there who genuinely feel that this is their calling, and go out applying for these jobs and showing up every day striving to make a difference, work hard to actually educate these children, and do the right things. Even though they are aware of the wayward behavior, that doesn't make it right for them to deal with. Many teachers go out of pocket and even use their vacation times and/or after school times to continue providing the best educational experiences for students. Also take into consideration that many teachers lack the proper support [that I believe] they should have. Often times parents work against teachers, and even principals discourage teachers due to budget cuts, preferred budget allocations, or because they simply don't want to make the other teachers (or those there because of special contacts only) look bad. When students see this, it makes it that much easier for them to rebel against their teachers as well. If everyone only saw these negative factors, no one would "want" to teach. With no teachers, society is pretty much screwed. The good guys in the system that really go all out and try to focus on the positivity there and what good they can bring, they aren't rewarded enough IMO. Not in any service job.

I think with each generation the children going into schools have more and more deplorable behavior, add to that inflation always rises, never drops, and for the teachers that are updating their knowledge and getting the mandatory degrees now, that's even more work to put out before actually getting the paid job and for many, student loans and expenses to subtract from the paycheck they haven't received yet as well.

Lady Death makes sense. I always wondered how teachers felt safe without knowing if students had weapons on them.
The issue of dealing with special needs children is something that in these times teachers need to be properly equipped to recognize these situations and deal with it accordingly but i don't expect them to go very in depth in this practice as there are schools for people who have these special needs and so the transition between switching from a regular no-care to a special needs provisional school should be made easier and more obvious.
At university level they deal with it direct on campus which is also adequate as long as students show respect for these people and regard them as humans(in trinidad especially).

As for lengthening the hours to mark papers and projects etc, 8-4 or 7:30 to 3:30 is really not going to be enough time as it can take these teachers an entire day in tallied hours to complete marking all these things by itself. I also dont think many teachers mind the carry home approach.

However despite the challenges, every job has its challenges and with reference to police officers, they can do with an increase as those who pay rent and other things may find it almost impossible to survive on their sole salary. The same goes for teachers.

I think it should be mandatory for teachers who do not have the university experience to go back to school, at least through workshops or part-time training sessions to come up to speed with the newly educated teachers. Yes, many of the older teachers may have years of experience over their younger colleagues, but in many cases that doesn't make them any better qualified to handle sticky situations.
Eg. A teacher I knew with 15+ yrs of teaching experience had some terrible bullies in her class who terrorized adults and children alike. Her solution to the problem was to put them on "ignore" and pretend they weren't in class even as they hurt other students in front of her face. Other staff members going straight up to the vp and principal supported this because they said there was nothing else they could do. I spoke to someone from the Ministry of Education who said the only other solution was to send the boys to the guidance counselor but
1. The teacher, principal, and parents needed to be willing and not a single one of them was and
2. Not a soul knew what the guidance counselor's schedule or name was.
Many children were traumatized and learned that bullies can overpower everyone, even adults. If any of the staff members in that school had the education teachers are coming out with now the results may have been different. Then again, the system itself is another force to be reckoned with. A lot of special needs children are often mistaken as "problem" children and ignored or ridiculed with no efforts made to assist the child or find out what the underlying problems are.

I believe now teachers are being made more aware of these issues and how to respond accordingly and with that added on to the traditional teaching responsibilities, one can definitely understand the need for pay raises.

You touched on a very sensitive point there, not even new teachers cant deal with extensive bullies.
They ignore the cries and the pain of the victims. If the parents dont do any thing then there isn't anything the school really will do.
Alot of ppl choose the ignore solution but it never helps the victims and and the pain they feel.
University education or not, it's up to the discretion of the involved people with the power to step in and at least try.

I know teachers with over 25-30 years experience and they have never needed the further education to deal with the social issues in the school.

As for new responsibilities yes i see where you are coming from. The job is very stressful having to cope with todays youths and it doesnt help when they have the added duties of partial counselling.

Anyone here ever did character education, drama, science, social studies etc for SEA. Don't think so. The amount of workshops teachers have to go on to put in place the new program/syllabus this jack@$$ Tim Goopesingh put in place. All that time students losing out on days of teaching, teachers have to use their own money to purchase materials to record this 'oh so important' information that dictates what school they pass for. Just making it more complicated for both teachers and students.

With all this stress and no extra pay this is why teachers not teaching or dropping out of the profession (for primary school that is).

Anyone here ever did character education, drama, science, social studies etc for SEA. Don't think so. The amount of workshops teachers have to go on to put in place the new program/syllabus this jack@$$ Tim Goopesingh put in place. All that time students losing out on days of teaching, teachers have to use their own money to purchase materials to record this 'oh so important' information that dictates what school they pass for. Just making it more complicated for both teachers and students.

With all this stress and no extra pay this is why teachers not teaching or dropping out of the profession (for primary school that is).
Good point , I found this to be true as well. Also it's a lot of pointless additions I find. Like math and English were already tough as a 10 year old knowing you have to write this big exam which determine your future now the additional things just causes more problems.

Teachers now have to give more lessons for those who choose to do so and that means more of their time is spent working more intensely to cover more work.

Good point about the workshops. It causes too many set backs when a teacher already planned the work for the term, , now to have to take unexpected minutes and hours out of valuable classroom contact doesn't help the situation especially where more work is added.

Take from this what you will, but although I support teachers getting more pay and benefits, I support the additional subjects/workshops (though not at their own or any students' expense). In the U.S. students are required by law to write national exams every year from 2nd grade (equivalent to probably Standard 2) in Math, English, and Science. I believe they've introduced Social Studies separately as well. Regardless of the students' performances in class and their classroom grades, any students who fail these yearly national exams are prohibited from moving on to the next grade (not a very common thing). There is no rush for special test prep, students are usually not made aware until a few weeks before to prepare, and the pass rate is usually average-above average. Of course, they still have normal classroom exams, homework, and projects throughout the school year with no changes during this exam time. By middle school or junior high, students must be academically prepared (from elementary school) to take the mandatory 5 subjects minimum (English, Math, Social Studies, Science, and a foreign language) in addition to any two electives minimum that are assigned to them which can include cooking, art, band, string orchestra, chorus, dance, drama, physical education (which is now mandatory), debate, peer mediation, etc. That means students should have enough prior exposure to and understanding of these subjects BEFORE leaving elementary schools. Another big difference though is that instead of writing one huge national exam to leave primary school, students have to be tested (in specialized schools also interviewed) for EACH school they wish to try for (no lessons or special prep for this either).

I think Trinidad's level of education has been lacking for a very long time and encouraging more education from primary school onwards is a very good step to take. I think though that teachers should either do workshops during holidays or weekends, or if it must be done during the students' school day, adequate substitutes should be put in place beforehand with instructions of work to be done. Before anyone says that's so unfair, teachers should be left alone to teach comfortably! I agree, but the fact remains that the world is constantly changing, we are all in a never-ending learning process and information (especially that is being taught to the future leaders of tomorrow) needs to updated as often as we learn new things, old methods may be replaced or altered by new, improved methods, and while I understand that teachers are tired of dealing with boisterous children, uncooperative parents, and the government poking its nose around to change up all the hard work that went into their lesson prep, at the end of the day we all want what's best for the children and the more we can do to give them better than a somewhat standard third world country education, the better everyone comes out. Improving our standard of education is a huge step forward in my book, however inconveniencing it may be. I think these workshops and updates should be expected as part of the teaching profession. Instead of cutting down on it, more focus should be placed on increasing the benefits to compensate teachers for going through all this for the benefit of their students, and they should be told about all this upfront and recognized accordingly for their hard work.

Back