Public or Private Healthcare

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!
Waw! Manga, i must say this is really good news. I trust that you are feeling better and recovering quite nicely? So sorry for what you went through but atleast you didn't have to study about financial worries for surgeries and thats an excellent thing.

I have heard alot of stories about Gulf *ERM* P. Medical . Some also say that if anything complicating happens its the same public hospital they have to carry you. Before i get married, i am saving up for LASIK eye surgery which is a corrective eye surgery for people with astigmatism. Depending on how bad your eyes are and if you are a candidate, after the surgery with proper intensive care, you might never have to wear glasses again. Of course i am going US to do this :/

Thanks LadyD, I am feeling much better. My wife also has an astigmatism, in both her eyes, I believe. She went to Value optical...total waste, but then checked Ferreira Optical (believe it's this one, closest to the elevators) in Gulf City. Their prices are the best we've come across and they have contacts that can help correct astigmatism. My wife said it helped her, you can probably give them a call.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Info man! Insurance doesn't cover the surgery because apparently wanting to correct your eye sight from degrading is classified as "Cosmetic" procedures. STEUPS! i will give them a call . I have heard from one of my friends that her sister in law went and did the surgery down here and it was awful. She had to continuously go back to the hospital.

What? Sorry to hear that Health insurance has soo many loopholes, you have to always read the fine print...smh.

Every single one of my experiences in public health care has been terrible, about half of them extremely traumatic, one of them with physical repercussions I have to live with for the rest of my life. Nurses, doctors, and administrative staff all forget that patients have rights too. There are big signs in Sando "No abuse of staff is tolerated" but the staff is given quite a lot of room to abuse who they want and quality assurance will not file complaint reports unless they feel like it. My experiences in Ptown are no better. From what I've seen and experienced, the only people who get truly good service are those who have a contact inside to pull strings or those who have a big mouth (lawyer in the back pocket helps too).

Agreed Shadowhunter, the nurses and general staff at the hospitals are usually rude and very outta timing.

Yep. I had one experience in St. Clair and the speed, courtesy, professionalism, and quality of staff was impeccable! Thought for a minute I woke up in another country lol

St. Clair's staff was exceptional. I have no complaints, wish the public hospitals would follow suit.

Back