Police brutality in Trinidad and Tobago

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

Steven Ramadar

LV

Police brutality... Against animals now?

Refer to pictures

a8a3u4ar.jpg

vyma8uma.jpg

Re: Police brutality... Against animals now?

I don't know what to say..this is very sad..without calling the TTSPCA they just shoot them without giving them a chance ! Hope these MFs rot in hell

Its not no lie and its not a movie its reality to this day the same people who took the oath to "protect and to serve" are the same people abusing their privilege and their power. More than 60% of the police service officers either take bribe, beat up innocent people or steal.
The same people who should be upholding the law are breaking the laws so when you decide to report a crime the police now ah days deems it as a joke and cares less about the matter.
Why is it that the commissioner of police is not making it his number 1. parity to charge and address the criminal activities that is happening in the police service.

What i believe that will stop criminal activities in the police service is for every 2 or 3 years let every police officer under go a polygraph test and ask them questions about bribe and criminal activities during the police service.

That's a good idea but a polygraph is not always the best way to go. What if the policeman wife leaving him and he worried, his heart rate and blood pressure will be sky high. That might sound like a joke but it's the only situation I can think of atm

I can safely attest to the fact that the police know every "criminal element" within their jurisdiction. However the only time that they make a move on them is when something happens. The problem arises in proving that it was them. No forthcoming witnesses, lack of evidence, etc make it difficult. However there are some "blocks" controlled by the very same people who are supposed to be taking them down. The fact remains that the protective services in this country consider themselves above the law and have a "do as I say not as I do" approach to everything. Have had many personal experiences with such, and one which almost cost me my life ( in retrospect). A high percentage on $$ and the ones who wish to make a difference are stifled by rank. Reformation of the system cannot happen unfortunately because of built up years of service and seniority. So we basically spinning top in mud here. Unless someone can shed some light on a proper solution

What you guys think about the cameras on the police vests that they planning on implementing to stop police brutality?? Do you think it will work?

Knowing Trinidad, police would come up with all sorts of excuses not to wear them and it might be for certain ranks too !

They did this in a state, I think its California, not sure. It worked . If I remember correctly reports of use of force decreased by around 60? and complaints about officers decreased by around 88%. So yes it may help

The government wants to bring in 'drones' to help stop crime, but they don't even have properly trained or even physically fit policemen/women.

This might turn out to be another incident like the cameras on light poles. Billions of dollars spent to implement them but no one to watch.

I honestly think that policing a society isn't the sole responsibility of the protective services. I think that the media as well as shareholders and stakeholders in the very programs we are conditioned to watch play a very important role in it all. And to even take it a step further, what motivates criminal activity? Need? Want? Greed? Habit? Excitement? The average petty thieves steal out of need. Those who have mainly out of want and greed. Conditioned criminals are habitual. Some just do it for thrills. But whatever the reason it is personal and can only be controlled by the mind of the individual. Putting blame on just the police won't help. Society as a whole needs to work on taking responsibility for the state that its in

10898176_843043429079953_5684213704403397124_n.jpg

Police officers slaps and abuses a man in a wheelchair. What have this country come too.

[video=youtube;ZHURjqpBgfw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHURjqpBgfw[/video]

While there must be some sort of "explanation" for this, the police officer identified himself and his face is clearly seen in the video. I wonder why it's taking so long for justice to come to those involved when two parties are so clearly seen, or at least for the representing authorities to have some sort of statement or "defense". While this instance is certainly not the first evidence of contrary behavior, I was under the impression that officers use force in self-defense or on those resisting arrest. (??)

A side note: I found it a bit disturbing that the person filming and passersby were laughing and joking about the matter and that even though people felt they had the authority or obligation to become involved by filming, commenting, or stopping to watch; not a single person there made an effort to defend the man, or at least query what was going on. Even if the man was a complete nuisance (which the officers implied), he still has his rights and under no circumstances is it ever okay for a person to be treated that way by anyone. That's why we, as citizens, are able to file reports against people who behave in such aggressive and violent manners towards us. I doubt a single person there made an effort to inform the man of his rights (the officers certainly did not) or assist him in getting justice after the abuse took place.

While there must be some sort of "explanation" for this, the police officer identified himself and his face is clearly seen in the video. I wonder why it's taking so long for justice to come to those involved when two parties are so clearly seen, or at least for the representing authorities to have some sort of statement or "defense". While this instance is certainly not the first evidence of contrary behavior, I was under the impression that officers use force in self-defense or on those resisting arrest. (??)

A side note: I found it a bit disturbing that the person filming and passersby were laughing and joking about the matter and that even though people felt they had the authority or obligation to become involved by filming, commenting, or stopping to watch; not a single person there made an effort to defend the man, or at least query what was going on. Even if the man was a complete nuisance (which the officers implied), he still has his rights and under no circumstances is it ever okay for a person to be treated that way by anyone. That's why we, as citizens, are able to file reports against people who behave in such aggressive and violent manners towards us. I doubt a single person there made an effort to inform the man of his rights (the officers certainly did not) or assist him in getting justice after the abuse took place.

It is easier to be apathetic in this country.

If someone had intervened, all that would have happened is the the police would have turned on the person and made sure to trump up a couple charges against him for being "too farse".

Me personally? I will go down fighting If it is me or someone close to me, police or not. But a random person? The most I doing is film the incident. There is not guarantee that the abused perosn will even be grateful you intervened to help them.

htbimp.jpg

I don't understand these people nah. Even if the man did something wrong they could of just kindly wheeled the man to the pavement and left him there. The man is handicapped! He is defenseless! All this didn't call for ! But being A Trinidadian with a DOTISH mentality, they slapped the poor man and left him holding his head. Mind you this man old enough to be officer SRP ( Sada Roti Police ) Rajcoomar's R Father! I was not surprised this happened.

And you know what i am not surprised about - The two police officers will more than likely be suspended with pay or transferred to another station.

It is easier to be apathetic in this country.

If someone had intervened, all that would have happened is the the police would have turned on the person and made sure to trump up a couple charges against him for being "too farse".

Me personally? I will go down fighting If it is me or someone close to me, police or not. But a random person? The most I doing is film the incident. There is not guarantee that the abused perosn will even be grateful you intervened to help them.

True, I didn't think of that. I've gotten in a lot of trouble standing up for those I care about and for myself as well, but I'm not always willing to go out on a limb for a stranger. In some situations you risk physical harm to yourself that could be worse than what the stranger/victim is experiencing. I guess if anyone there had opened their mouth they would have been knocked down by either or both officers, as bystanders then posted viral videos about who "look for ting". I don't know if justice has any meaning in this country anymore.

And you know what i am not surprised about - The two police officers will more than likely be suspended with pay or transferred to another station.

^I would be surprised if that actually happened. I'm expecting nothing to come out of this.

It is utterly disgusting to my eyes to see this video. What need is there to push a man in a wheel chair against another persons car? Is it that these officers feel because they west a uniform and carry around a badge they can take advantage of citizens?

I don't understand what need there was to treat the man like this. I don't know the whole story but either way the officers actions are inexcusable and the sad part is nothing will come out of the situation.

That is why when people shoot at police I say nothing. I hold my silence to comment for good reason.

Whether or not he spat or cursed an officer that gives then no excuse to treat him or anyone in that manner.

And the SRP officers have been relieved of duty and badges until the investigation is complete. I am of the opinion that the person who videotaped should be penalized for provoking the disabled man to return to the 'scene'

Whether or not he spat or cursed an officer that gives then no excuse to treat him or anyone in that manner.

And the SRP officers have been relieved of duty and badges until the investigation is complete. I am of the opinion that the person who videotaped should be penalized for provoking the disabled man to return to the 'scene'

Good points, they have no right to treat anyone like that.

As for whether the video actually provoked the man well I'm not so sure about that. Sometimes people do feel empowered to know they are being recorded for evidence purposes but given the absence of laws in Trini for video evidence, I'm not so sure we can really give that much legal consideration. Also, the man seemed like he was talking to the officers he didn't really seem to want to lash them or anything of the sort so I think its good that the videographer was there.

The man video taping was telling the disabled man to go back. Provoking him and therefore escalating the situation to the point where the man got slapped. Yes everyone has free will and has the power to make their own choices but at that moment I think his ability to make proper decisions was impaired

Back