Please Stop Posing On Leatherback Turtles

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!
I hope the ones that don't get caught, get their license plates taken down and reported so they can still be charged.

We are the only country that have a high death rate leatherback turtle that are killed for their meat during leather back nesting season.

Canada especially is pretty disgusted by our behaviour as they have the leatherback conservation headquarters there, I hope that all beaches can do this but the reason that Las Cuevas did it was because it can have their blue flag certification removed.

Ohhhh (just googled blue flag certification lol) that explains a lot. It's really terrible that we have all these beautiful creatures right here in T&T, there are tourists that actually travel here just to see the turtles laying eggs and volunteer to help, and what will we Trinis do? Kll 'em and eat 'em. I know there are jokes about Trinis and their belly but this is so ridiculous. Even if the turtles go extinct, many of the offenders still will not care. Thankfully there are Trinis fighting to protect them but the offenders give all of us a bad rep.

I am sorry I didn't comment in this thread sooner.

Here is an interesting fact about the current turtle furor.

Some of the pics being currently circulated are OLD pictures!!
Example: the lady in the grey top on the first age

Those pictures go back to 2009/2010!

To highlight one articular case.

One of those pics when it came out in Jun 2009, made a guy called Qran Soogrim delete his facebook account as soon as his picture was shown on TV6. He even had to fly out the country to escape the negative feedback.

That same pic being circulated again. I check his facebook page yesterday. It was ok. today, all his pictures are gone!

You actions 6 years has come back to haunt you cause you post it to the internet.

You reap what you sow eh. I'm glad people are giving negative feedback, even for old pictures. I hope this deters others from following suit. But perhaps the dates of pictures should be mentioned as some will look for them as if they just did it. I hope those pictured have learned their lesson and stopped doing these things, but if not, the feedback may help with that.

On this note, do you think the people in the pictures should be the only ones getting negative attention? What about people with them, photographers, people posing near them, etc?

According to Papa Bois Conservation and Nature Seekers you can take pictures with them HOWEVER:

Do not take pictures with bright flash in the night.
Do not take pictures on them or touching them
You can take pictures standing by them at a reasonable distance
Do not feed them anything

Back