Piparo Residents Fear Mud Volcano Erupts

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!
A

alexk

mud%20volcano.jpg

Loud rumblings from Piparo mud volcano following Tuesday’s earthquake have stirred up frightening memories for the survivors of the deadly eruption on February 22, 1997.

Concerned residents are calling on geologists and the relevant authorities to conduct more tests and surveys to monitor the activity at the volcano.

Sporadic loud noises emanated from the volcano while mud pitched up on two occasions from the mounds while the Guardian was at the site on Friday.

Housewife Jasmin Mohammed said they would usually hear faint sounds from the volcano, but the noises had increased since the earthquake. “It really scary. Yesterday morning and last night it making noise non-stop. We hearing it here because the sound wave coming down this way so we will hear it more often than the other side. Yesterday, my son went up and he said he hearing a sound like a wave,” said Mohammed.

She said around midnight on Thursday the noises were so loud that she could not sleep. “Just because of the earthquake, I a little more concerned and shaky about it.”

Recalling the 1997 experience when the volcano erupted, she said “That is something I never want to experience again.”

Another resident Sheriffa Solomon, 64, said during the early hours of Friday morning she heard “like big waves crashing. It get a little louder since the earthquake”.

Solomon, who was displaced for six months after the 1997 earthquake, said those memories came flooding back to her. “When I heard the noises I was thinking where to go when this volcano erupt again. I don’t ever want to go through that (1997 eruption) again.”

Solomon said she was getting a strong scent of sulphur in the area. “That has to be coming from the volcano. They should come and check so at least they could allay our fears.”

However, retired police officer Samlal Harrilal, who lives very close to the volcano, said while he has not observed any increased activity, the experts should still monitor the volcano.

He was also concerned that a cell tower which was mounted about 50 to 75 feet from his home could fall as a result of frequent land movement.

Harrilal complained that since the 1997 eruption the village had been neglected and was in need of proper drainage.

Geologist Xavier Moonan, who visited the volcano the day after the earthquake, confirmed that the volcano had become more active. “We are keeping a close eye on it because that’s the one we anticipate will erupt next. Based on the cyclicity, it is expected to erupt in the next five years, but events like the earthquake could possibly trigger an eruption. We have done a number of surveys on it earlier this year and we will be doing more later this year.”

Back