Opening: 'Married Too', 'Case 39', 'Dolphin', 'Last Song'

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

TFM

LV

Drama lovers, horror seekers and animation enthusiasts gets some special treatment this week at the box office as four new movies fight to compete with How To Train Your Dragon which is doing big business right now - and rightly so, it's amazing.

Recommended: It's hard to really recommend a film this week because none of them really appeal to me, but if I had to pick one, it would be Case 39. Starring Renee Zellwegger, the thriller has been awaiting proper release for more than 4 years. That's right, this was filmed in 2006. It was scheduled to released in August 2008, then April 2009, then January 2010 but was never released. Normally, when a movie fails to find a release date it is because it is a terrible movie but like most people found out about Taken and having already seen the film, it is actually not bad at all.

The movie follows a social worker who takes in an abused child after she rescues her from a violent death at the hands of her parents. While waiting to be put into a proper foster home, Renee's character finds out why this might just be her last case.

It is surprisingly rated 18+ which is a very rare rating in Trinidad and reviews were mostly negative.

Why Did I Get Married Too is the sequel to the successful original Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married starring the writer, along with Janet Jackson and Tasha Smith among others. I actually saw the first film - it is the only Perry movie I've seen - and found it to be a good film, although I'll pass on the sequel.

The story follows the annual reunion of four couples and friends who reconnect their lives and discuss their relationships an all the problems that come with it.

Rated PG (but should probably be 14+) and reviews are terrible. However reviews for dramatic films rarely matter.

Miley Cyrus returns to the big screen in an adaptation of Nicholas Sparks' novel The Last Song alongside Greg Kinnear and Liam Hemsworth. It is however her real debut as an actress, as we exclude the Hannah Montana Movie for its character affiliation and Bolt, which featured only her voice as one of the main characters. The Last Song is her vehicle to hold as it places her front and center without the help of her alter-ego.

Her character is reunited with her estranged father after she is sent along with her brother to spend the summer at his beach town home. He attempts to reconnect with her through their common interest - music while she finds love and her self along the way.

The drama is rated All Ages but reviews are bad but critics are exceptionally harsh Miley Cyrus' acting. I don't think she's as bad as they're making it sound.

Finally, The Dolphin is an animated movie which I know absolutely nothing about. I didn't hear about it before I saw one preview before a screening of Alice in Wonderland and never heard of it again. There's no wikipedia page for it either and the poster is very nondescript. I pulled up its site to find its a FOX animated film created by mostly international companies. There isn't even a proper synopsis.

It is rated All Ages and as you can imagine, there are no reviews available. Skip it and see How To Train Your Dragon instead!

I've already seen Case 39. The movie wasn't bad. Not by a long shot. It wasn't great either. Renee Zellweggar brought her character some semblance of dept. But the role seemed more thrown together than if it was actually meant to be there. There could've been more develpment with Renee's character. Other supporting actors was as just as half-empty. Like they were just props in the movie to fill out the cast. But don't get me wrong, they do a decent enough job of moving the story along. As TFM stated, Case 39 is about a social worker who takes up a case (the 39th on her desk) of a little girl thought to be abused by her parents. She eventually saves the little girl from an almost certain horrible death by the hands of her parents. While the girl awaits a foster home, Renee's character decides to take in the girl in the meantime. Little by little she finds out that the innocent little girl may not be so innocent... I won't go any futher as to spoil it for those who have't seen the film. Case 39 is very similar to last year's thriller The Orphan. If you've seen The Orphan, you'll be more than prepared to know what Case 39 is about. It's basically the same film but with a supernatural twist. 3/5.

Tyler Perry's offering of Why Did I Get Married Too, the sequel to his successful Why Did I Get Married, looks interesting enough. I've seen the first movie and it wasn't half bad. Not nearly as entertaining as his first entry into mainstream movies with Diary of a Mad Black Woman. I think that Tyler has tremedous talent as a director. Its such a shame that he falls into mediocrity so often. His movies have become heavily cliched, repetitive and down right un-interesting in my opinion. His movies follow the same trail every time, that its almost like watching a Lifetime Channel movie on a big screen. The same formula over and over and over. He always tend to depict Black folks that are educated and well off as snobby people who forgot their roots. Looking down on those below them with disdain. And some underdog who is going through some really tough time and meets someone is rough around the edges too but their knight in shining armor. Eg. Diary- Woman well-off husband leaves her and she falls for a poor dude that is her prince. I can Do Bad all by myself- A well off black dude with a well off fiance meets an old school friend whos down on her lock. he takes it upon himself to bring her back to honor etc..and falls for her. The Family that preys- Well off woman with poor man, has affair with well off dude, thinking that He will leave his well off wife for her...etc..etc.. see my point? I hope that this time he returns to form.

Dolphin- I have never heard anything of that movie so I can't comment.

Last Song- i have never been interested in Miley Cyrus's Hannah Montana show, far less for the movies. So good luck to her and her efforts to leave Hannah behind and make a name for herself.

Good post Wispa!

I agree with you about Case 39 & 'Married Too'. Case 39 is similar to The Orphan but could've been a little better with some tweeking. Too bad it was shelved for so long. Tyler Perry is a mediocre director. I have a feeling if he gave up his material to a more established director, they would be better portrayed.

About The Last Song - Miley Cyrus has managed to created quite a successful music career by herself, away from Hannah Montana, so this movie will try to prove she can do that in movies too. Btw, I went to MT POS tonight to see Hot Tub Time Machine and The Last Song was almost SOLD OUT so she's got a lot of fans in Trinidad.

i suppose she does. After all, she is Hannah Montana. the latest success to Disney's tried and true formula of turning teens with limited acting/singing abilities and turning them in mega stars.... I'm sorry, but apart from her singing (which he father writes. Billy Ray Cyrus) her acting is errr..well... so Disney!!! i haven't seen her latest movie as yet. So i'll just have to see if "Miley Cyrus" not Hannah Montana deserves to be on the big screen.

@wispa: Her father only "writes" her songs in the tv show. Heavyweight writers do it in real life.

@richard: Clash is coming out next week apparently. Iron Man is supposed to hit May 2nd.

Back