Old Vehicles In Trinidad & Tobago

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

LadyDeath

Senior Marketing Officer
Staff member
LV

We see these vehicles daily on the road that are slowing or causing traffic. Somehow if they end up infront of us we get frustrated. These vehicles are usually very old, rusting, loosing their form , breaking apart etc. etc. I especially cringe to see the old two door mazda vans carrying load and the tray nearly touching the road. Do you think these vehicles should not be allowed on our nation's roads? Do you think they pose a hazard ?

My Opinion: As a third world country, We have alot of poor people that cannot afford to buy a decent working vehicle and have no choice but to use it as their livelihoods are on the line. The Minister of Transport was talking about eradicating old vehicles from our nation's roads, and while i agree they pose a hazard, what will happen to these people's livelihoods?

Re: Old Vehicles In Trinidad & Tobago

First off, I own an old car. It works well enough for its age, but it can at least pass an inspection which is more than I can say about many a car in this country. Again it comes down to enforcement of laws in Trini. My take is this, in the event of a nationwide cleanup of decrepit vehicles, there should also be put in place a standardized valuation system for said used vehicles that those who can't afford new could at least be given a fair price on older or used cars. Regulation of the insurance companies as well would eliminate many vehicles from being on the road as we find policies being renewed on these vehicles without any company even seeing it.

Here is what I think would be a proper procedure for regulation of motor vehicles in Trinidad and Tobago.
First of all a standard valuation system for new and old cars alike based on the cost of the vehicle (cost of importation for RoRo), mechanical road worthiness (brake, suspension, engine, transmission, etc) and cosmetic appearance (lights, body panels, rust, etc).Creature comforts should have little bearing on this valuation but are necessary to deem the car roadworthy (seatbelts, fabric/leather seats, radio, etc).
Secondly, the inspection process needs to be more stringent in its application and enforcement. Yes we have a system in place for inspection but it needs to be improved on. Emissions testing should be put into effect in Trinidad so that proper tuning and maintenance can be a staple for all vehicle owners. Would eliminate all the black smoking diesel and gas cars on the road.
Next, after all is said and done with getting the car ready for the road, insurance companies should do a visual inspection of each vehicle (basically take pictures) which is accompanied by the valuation and inspection report for the vehicle in question. This eliminates the guessing game that we play with the companies when we say we have no accident to report.
If something like this is made mandatory in the months leading up to the yearly renewal of insurance, then owners would take better care of their vehicles and take more derelict cars off the road.
Think about it, getting b14's for what they are actually worth after a proper depreciated valuation. Newer cars would be cheaper without dealer markup. Less cars on the roads, means less traffic. Yes it may put certain persons out of a mode of transport, but at the end of the day it needs to be done.

To eliminate the lack of personal transportation, an efficient and effective public transportation system (preferably one that is available 24/7) should be put into place. But that's another discussion all on its own

I think the inspection would be a good idea. Maybe when given a fair price, they can use it as a starter for another vehicle.

I think its time that old cars be inspected and removed from the roads if need be because they can pose many problems to motorists

what alyuh talking bout posing a treat...do u know how many new cars give problems...we dont see coz as dey break down dey get towed...wit ah ole car d mechanic can come an fix on spot...an doh b callin d ole car hazards....i agree that d scary ons need to b taken of the road...buh i like meh ole car...it gets me to my location....the government should buy the very very ole care for scrap iron an stuff...

what alyuh talking bout posing a treat...do u know how many new cars give problems...we dont see coz as dey break down dey get towed...wit ah ole car d mechanic can come an fix on spot...an doh b callin d ole car hazards....i agree that d scary ons need to b taken of the road...buh i like meh ole car...it gets me to my location....the government should buy the very very ole care for scrap iron an stuff...

hahahah i agree with teagnie, i see alot of new Tiidas with electrical problems, saw a PDB Elantra the other day just cut off on the highway while driving at around 100km/h , so its not only the old cars that give trouble

and personally i love a Resto-Mod project

restore and modify ah ole car

ole car with big engine does make a happy Mr.Bollywood :amen::der::clap2::boom::heh::happy::faint:

i see a rich man using his older car for work and the new car for family use......or is it that he want ppl to think he lower class for they not to rub him....waste of time.....if u have a new car use and enjoy it....old car ppl are special ppl.....don't come in dat bracket if u dont belong.....hope u guys know what i mean......

hahahah i agree with teagnie, i see alot of new Tiidas with electrical problems, saw a PDB Elantra the other day just cut off on the highway while driving at around 100km/h , so its not only the old cars that give trouble

and personally i love a Resto-Mod project

restore and modify ah ole car

ole car with big engine does make a happy Mr.Bollywood :amen::der::clap2::boom::heh::happy::faint:

This i agree with 100%. Its not so much the age of the car but rather its ability to function within regulations. I've seen countless "new" cars such as X-Trails and Tiidas which are foreign used bearing PDA and PDB plates with brake light bulbs not working either on 1 side or both sides.
When you consider how poorly some of these brand new car alarms are installed locally, such as buy a base model and "get free tint and alarm", it tells a story by itself of electrical problems and hazards. A simple thing like a Viper 350 Plus alarm is really poorly installed by the shops or whoever these dealers contract out.
I've personally seen and heard the stories of brand new cars popping fuses, cutting off in the middle of the road or wearing down brakes too quickly because of improper installation. When you add this to the quality of work a lot of shops do, it doesn't help. Sure is new car, plastic on d seat or it looking rel good but is it running any better than the old car which was rebuilt properly or was always kept in proper condition, that answer is No.

This i agree with 100%. Its not so much the age of the car but rather its ability to function within regulations. I've seen countless "new" cars such as X-Trails and Tiidas which are foreign used bearing PDA and PDB plates with brake light bulbs not working either on 1 side or both sides.
When you consider how poorly some of these brand new car alarms are installed locally, such as buy a base model and "get free tint and alarm", it tells a story by itself of electrical problems and hazards. A simple thing like a Viper 350 Plus alarm is really poorly installed by the shops or whoever these dealers contract out.
I've personally seen and heard the stories of brand new cars popping fuses, cutting off in the middle of the road or wearing down brakes too quickly because of improper installation. When you add this to the quality of work a lot of shops do, it doesn't help. Sure is new car, plastic on d seat or it looking rel good but is it running any better than the old car which was rebuilt properly or was always kept in proper condition, that answer is No.

I agree but I would at least like the emissions testing to be implemented. Black smoke is not only a nuisance, but it is a form of pollution and contributes to many health problems. The owners of these vehicles may either not care or may not be able to afford fixing it, but pedestrians should not have to pay that price (health, doctor bills, and discomfort) every time they want to leave their house (or for others on the main road, leave their front door or windows open).

Sometimes that smoke is so potent it penetrates your ac when you are driving or impairs your vision.

Once an old truck passed on the road and it was black smoke. It was so thick i couldnt see properly for a few seconds

Yeppp I could account to what Anthone saying! Our car is around 17 years old, and it going stronger than some PDE cars I seeing on the road with huge dents and lights not working and all kinda noise it making

Agree with you guys on that... Imagine how many of these "newer" cars that were written off and cut n shut that we don't know about

Old vehicles have their own grace and value.I really love the Vintage cars because the old designs are very awesome and powerful.I prefer them on the new models.

Old vehicles have their own grace and value.I really love the Vintage cars because the old designs are very awesome and powerful.I prefer them on the new models.

Most importantly, these older cars have a lot of character unlike new cars which basically are boring and computerized.

Back