Old Time Sayings

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

LadyDeath

Senior Marketing Officer
Staff member
LV

You know i am getting to hate these old time from my family . Everytime i am about to do something they always give me these words that their family used to say eg. Don't sweep after 6 pm. When you coming home late at night turn your back when entering the house, Don't leave your hair let go in the night, do not eat food before prayers done etc. I wonder are these things really true? how much of you all does take these things on ? do you believe it ?

Don't believe all of them crap come on it just old people saying, they used to say them thing to frighten children so the children would not do the wrong things.
I remembered some time ago i mother used to tell me to turn over my underwear and wear it when going to wakes. I'm still like huh..

Hahahahahaha omg. I hear when you some from a funeral you have to throw water over your head three times...what spirits does twinkle around yuh head ? lol

What about the one if yuh sweep yuh foot you would not get marry or no body will marry you, Lol i was so frighten before about this one and i avoided every chance of getting my foot sweep

or if you hand someone a raw pepper you will quarel with the same person and to do it right you have to rest it down and then they will pick it up. Hear this one , if you cross over someone's foot you will remain your height lol

buh yuh hav to believe.....dat its not gd to pick flowers in d nite....an trowin d excess salt behind ur back is for gd luck!!!

how about to dont sweep in the night and dont matter where your wash clothes are make sure and pick them up before 6pm

dey used to say dat doh hang wash clothes upside down to dry (hem up an neckkline down) on d line coz d person does get stupid!!!

never heard that one before

Or if someone cross yuh to cross them back cuz you go remain small lmao

an yuh ever hear...never let ur neighbor sweep wit ur broom.....coz all ur richness will go by dem!!!

never heard that one or how about to don't go under trees in the night cuz jumbie go hold yuh or u have to ask the plants to pick their flowers after 6pm

yeah ah heard dat one......an dey does say dat doh let any dirt stay in ur shoes from d cemetery wen u go to ah funeral......dey say d mud does bring d spirits bk to ur home......

Where does ole people get these kinda of things from, i don't believe in any of it!

well it was transferred from the days of slavery when the Indians And Africans were imported to trinidad and their superstitions and beliefs were incorporated into our west indian heritage

yessss i does always hear that .. plus they does say never pee in the bush in the night cuz d jumbies go hold yuh lmao

aha how about doh go under d cotton tree in the night cuz the lagahoo go hold yuh LOL

yeah.....an dey does say wen ah woman hav ah newborn baby d father should not go an c it first.......de pundit must b consulted first to c d patra an ting..........or someting like dat!!!

Back