Old railway tracks

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

fuzzybearphoto

LV

Hello All,

I am a photographer and I am doing a photoessay about Railways in Trinidad. Trinidad Government Railways (succeeded by PTSC), Tate and Lyle (succeeded by Caroni Limited) operated railroads in Trinidad to transport both people and agricultural produce (mostly sugar cane).

I want to photograph what remains of the railway system: engines, bridges, tunnels, cars, railway lines etc. I would appreciate help from anyone who can give me directions to find these so I can take pictures.

I am particularly interested in locations where the actual track is still visible. The dry season has uncovered many of these.

Please help.

Hey Wayne no problem thanks for asking there are many members who can help you.
I can give you some evidences in Tabaquite called the Knolly's Tunnel. Its the left over of a underground the trains used to pass in here's a picture

knollys_tunnel.jpg

Info:
Located in the village of Tabaquite is the only man-made tunnel found in Trinidad. This tunnel was constructed in 1898 to facilitate the train line that had been extended from Cunupia to Tabaquite. During this period, "Cocoa was King" and the Tabaquite region including the Caparo valley, Brasso and Longdenville were heavy producers. As a result the railway system was extended to allow cocoa estates to be able to move their produce from this region. During construction it was found that a ridge of high ground was barring the way. Consequently the tunnel was constructed through the ridge. The tunnel was named Knollys Tunnel after Acting Governor Courtney Knollys and the new train line was opened on 20th August 1898. This train line operated until 30th August 1965. During its time this tunnel was an attraction and many people rode the train to Tabaquite simply to experience going through the tunnel. In 1991, recognizing the historic importance of this tunnel, the Government under Minister Lincoln Myers cleared the tunnel and beautified the area. As a result, today, Knollys Tunnel is still an attraction. Around the tunnel entrance the grounds have been landscaped and there are two ajoupas for relaxing in. To get to the tunnel, you take either the Guaracara Tabaquite Road or the Tabaquite Rio Claro Road to Tabaquite and then turn onto John William Trace. As you turn onto John William Trace, you turn left on the first road and follow this road direct to the tunnel entrance. The train tracks have been filled in and the road is a gravel road.

Longdenville i do not know if there is still evidence of the train lines but i think so. If you know where KFC is in montrose you go straight pass that until you reach Longdenville Basketball Court on the junction. You turn into the road with the basketball court and head straight down until you reach a Y Road by the police post and you take the curvy street on the left . There is the original train line road. Villagers will help you if there are still ruins of it. Another train line road is After you pass the Ball Court on the main road the first dirt road on your right there is another. I hope this helped you out good luck

Wow, that's pretty cool. Good luck with the photo hunting man!

Thanks for the history of the Knolly Tunell and the picture. I will make the trip to Tabaquite soon and take pictures of it. You're directions are from south I am coming from San Juan but it shouldn't be too hard to find John William Trace.

Did you know that Tabaquite was one of the most northerly oilfields in Trinidad? I think I do some research on that to and see if I can get some pictures.

fuzzybearphoto said:
Thanks for the history of the Knolly Tunell and the picture. I will make the trip to Tabaquite soon and take pictures of it. You're directions are from south I am coming from San Juan but it shouldn't be too hard to find John William Trace.

Did you know that Tabaquite was one of the most northerly oilfields in Trinidad? I think I do some research on that to and see if I can get some pictures.
Dam you should have asked this 4 weeks earlier.They dismantled the train track that passed over the southern main road just about a month ago,but you are still in luck.They just took out the part that ran over the main road itself.The train track is still in tack on both sides of the road,so you can visit and get the info you need.Will try and get some pictures to show you but as for directions well it isn't that hard to find,once you find yourself on the southern main road it's in the Point-a-Pierre area just after Trinidad Contractors Ltd,if you are coming from north.

It's a pity they moved the bridge, cool3ni. Of course, I know where it was :>) : I've been admiring it since I was a child.

Last November I passed there with a friend but he was busy to get to San Fernando so I didn't ask him to stop and we had our cameras on us at the time :<(. When I finally made up my mind to go back I found out that the bridge that had been there for nearly 130 years was removed only week ago.

I saw a picture on trinioutdoors.com of a restored railway station inside Pertrotrin compound and it looks as if there is railroad track in front of it. My brother lives there so I think I'll pay him a visit and take some pictures.

Yea I don't live far from where they dismantled the bridge,it certainly was an event the neighborhood would not forget.People took pictures and video recorded when the process of dismantling it,unfortunately I was too tired to go outside and and do that at the time so I don't have any footage,but for all that grew up with that bridge over the road it will remain a piece of history embedded in their memories and for the ones that now going up,it will be a nice history story to be told too.
I think that train track you are talking about in Petrotrin joined up with piece that's in Marabella.I know where the track is in Marabella but I never ventured near it,so I can't tell you how it is there.

I've heard of the infamous "line" in Marabella but I don't think I want to go there. That's south's version of the Beetham.

fuzzybearphoto said:
I've heard of the infamous "line" in Marabella but I don't think I want to go there. That's south's version of the Beetham.
:signlol: I was gona bring it up that way but I refrained.

Ok, cool3ni. Ask about for me and see if there are safe places that I can photograph this stuff. I would be nice if I can get big things like engines, railcars and wagons.

See Ya

Hey do you think you can post some of the pics here for us to see. it will be nice for some members to get a look at our history for some others who don't have the privileged to visit these areas. If you accept can you upload them here and add your copyright to the pics.

Yeh, I was gonna ask the same. I know he's probably gonna want to publish it for his project first before he uploads them here but we'd be happy to see them.

fuzzybearphoto said:
Ok, cool3ni. Ask about for me and see if there are safe places that I can photograph this stuff. I would be nice if I can get big things like engines, railcars and wagons.

See Ya
Don't know if you already got to them already but if you want pictures of trains and stuff,then you can always photograph the train on San Fernando promenade.I'll look into the safe sites for you.

Wow! Great thread! I've been hunting down old railway remains in Trinidad for a number of years and I've fortunately captured many images during my quest. Old Engines and Wagons have sadly become food to the blowtourch although I have come across grounded passenger carriages in the Port of Spain area. Sealots to be exact! I visited the old San Fernando Station located @ King's Wharf in January and it looked liked (to me)that the whole structure was about to be demolished! I recently learned that the Flower Pot Bridge in Point was dismantled. Victorian Engineering sold straight to the mill!!! So sad! I will post some pictures soon!

Anxiously awaiting your posting of your pics. I love to see photos of old structures of T&T.. I feel a warmth eveytime I see them. not sure why though.

Wyspa said:
Anxiously awaiting your posting of your pics. I love to see photos of old structures of T&T.. I feel a warmth eveytime I see them. not sure why though.
Yep,I also like to see old time pictures.It's fascinating to see how things have changed over time.

This was taken @ Sealots. A rusty old grounded passenger carriage. I also learned that Sealots was the "graveyard" for many trains... sadly all was "cut up" (with the exception of this one) and a few "sunk" into the mangrove. The guy who showed me the carriage said I could take it home if I wanted! (located in his back yard) I just had to get the transportation.

Attachments

• TGR Carriage.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 178
I found this picture of the rescued St Madelaine Sugar Factory Locomotive "Picton". It now resides back home in Leeds UK. Built in 1927. An old employee of the factory told me that the engine was condemned and left to rot @ Cedar Hill sidings since the 1950's!

Attachments

• uk1794.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 163
Back