Must Have FREE Software for your PC/Laptop!

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

Lorenzo

LV

Here's a list of what I have and currently use and their uses:

1) Microsoft Security Essentials(Anti-Virus)

2) CCleaner(Cleaning program, removes junk.)

3) Malwarebytes(Anti-Virus, goes deeper than all the others)

4) Foxit PDF Reader(Better than Adobe PDF Reader by miles.)

5) Defraggler(De-fragmenting, optimizing disk space)

6) Winamp(For listening to music, also Internet Radio built-in)

7)Free Download Manager(Are your downloads timing out? Try this.)

8) WinRAR(A good .rar and .zip extracting program. Also an internet meme)

9) Paint.NET(It's like a mini photoshop)

10) Recuva(For recovering deleted files on your HDD or SD card.)

What are some of your must-have software on your PC?

I use an ssd so defragging is out of the question.

Google chrome manages pdfs well, doesnt cause as huge of a performance drain as the official Adobe program.

CCleaner is not bad for clearing temporary files and simple registry errors.

Windows Media Player works just fine for me.

Avast Anti-Virus is also decent. I never get any serious problems to begin with so its just a little bit of a fail safe there.

Spyware Doctor is a good spyware detector and cleaner. It is also free.

I use GOM player for both videos (awesome for subtitles too) and music

^^^ Yea i tend to dl alot of anime sometimes so i use trusty vlc lol......for music i use itunes
7-zip

For doing image resizing/conversion in automated batches, Irfan Viewer works a charm. It even works quite well for individual resizing. Much better than the online websites which do conversions.

Winrar is excellent for unzipping archvies.

IMGBurn is perfect for simply burning CDs/DVDs.

Evernote - although its not just for PC, its a really good way of integrating your notes/documents in an organized fashion through a cloud. Makes the info accessible from iOS, Android and Windows Phones as well. Very reliable. I use it for school and I absolutely love it.

Last edited:
Dont for Utorrent guys that a very usefull 'free' application

Didn't mention any torrent apps because torrent sites currently dying. If I had to choose one though it has to be Tixati. Mentioned Free Download Manager instead because there are a lot of DDL(Direct download) sites.

I need on my system, Bittorrent, Gomplayer, Vlc player, Chrome, PowerISO, Itunes, Winamp, MS Office, and Nero....I know it's a resource hog...but say what!

AVG/Avast Antivirus Free (Microsoft Security Essentials has THE worst rating among free antiviruses)
VLC
Youtube Downloader
CCleaner - system cleanup
Speccy - view system specs
Malwarebytes - scan for malware

i have too much to list all right now...

Got a new computer or you want to download some of these programs on someones' PC/laptop? https://ninite.com/ Here's a FREE site to include everything you need in once nice installer, letting YOU choose what YOU want!

I'm ashamed I didn't mention it (though I spoke of it in another thread):

Prey Project

Theft Recovery software. Up to 3 devices for the free account and that includes your phone and tablet

Thanks to my installing it on a friend's laptop when she first bought it, she was able to recover it 48 hours after someone broke into her apartment and stole it. I have to give that story one day.

See recovery stories here: https://preyproject.com/blog/cat/recoveries (unfortunately I never sent in my friend's story)

^^^^ i heard alot of people speak about it before seems you will have to give us that story sooner than later saxman642

Last edited:
I installed Prey for both my phone and laptop since Saxman's post on another thread about it but there has been no attempted theft to test it out lol

Will it work if the entire system gets a clean install? I don't think bandits down here smart enough to even think of that.

Will it work if the entire system gets a clean install? I don't think bandits down here smart enough to even think of that.

If they clean install windows, that's it. Most thieves looking for a quick buck, so most likely they looking to sell it off quickly. In my friend's case her US$550 laptop was sold for just TT$1200 less than 24 hours after being stolen. Nothing on the PC software-wise was touched. They didn't even try to change the account name!

lol ppl buy that laptop for 1200$ ahaha wdh....friend should remember to password lock her laptop also she just happen to get lucky that time

Back