Movie Reviews

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

Shadowhunter

LV

This thread was created for feedback on movies, good or bad. Avoid spoilers please, or begin your post by stating **SPOILERS** and leaving a few lines before starting.

I'll start things off with Maleficent. The graphics were done amazingly well and I loved the change in the story line from the traditional Sleeping Beauty to a more open-minded, untold story from Maleficent's perspective with a feminist theme. This way makes a lot more sense and is more believable IMO and I fully support this version of the story influencing people everywhere as opposed to the old one. I loved this movie, watched it twice already, and look forward to watching it again and seeing more like it.

[video=youtube;w-XO4XiRop0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-XO4XiRop0[/video]

MOVIE REVIEW : INTERSTELLAR

This movie absolutely blew me away. It's based in the future where the earth is dying due to dessertification and the government is only teaching agriculture in schools for survival. The main character in the show is teaching his children differently about life on other planets etc, as he is a scientist/ pilots. It's a race to save the earth as he heads on a mission out into space to find life on other planets.

The graphics in the show was excellent. I like how they were informative and stayed true to scientific facts in the movie. I like how Christopher Nolan incorporated string theory, physics , astronomy and many more disciplines into the movie.

Over all i give this movie 10/10 and would recommend this to everyone!

Interstellar1.jpg

Here's a local movie.. Made in Trinidad, by 1 man with 1 camera, no script and no budget, Welcome to Warlock is a movie based on the roots of gang warfare and murder. This is the first of it's kind I've ever seen from T&T so far. I don't want to say much about it because I don't want to spoil the fun. Would recommend to an audience of 16+ though.. Lots of violence and even a.."scene" that could have been left out but implied in a following conversation.

Here's a Teaser of it.

[video=youtube;QH27qv3csC4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH27qv3csC4[/video]

Would recommend it if you're into gangster movies. The guy who made it also has a lot of other short skits on his channel if you're interested.

This movie absolutely blew me away. It's based in the future where the earth is dying due to dessertification and the government is only teaching agriculture in schools for survival. The main character in the show is teaching his children differently about life on other planets etc, as he is a scientist/ pilots. It's a race to save the earth as he heads on a mission out into space to find life on other planets.

The graphics in the show was excellent. I like how they were informative and stayed true to scientific facts in the movie. I like how Christopher Nolan incorporated string theory, physics , astronomy and many more disciplines into the movie.

Interstellar1.jpg

I second this. That movie was AWESOME and the cast was perfect. I don't have a single criticism for it. Will gladly watch it again.

Interstellar1.jpg

I may watch this, it was rated very highly by some people I know. It seemed to be really really good.

Here's a local movie.. Made in Trinidad, by 1 man with 1 camera, no script and no budget, Welcome to Warlock is a movie based on the roots of gang warfare and murder. This is the first of it's kind I've ever seen from T&T so far. I don't want to say much about it because I don't want to spoil the fun. Would recommend to an audience of 16+ though.. Lots of violence and even a.."scene" that could have been left out but implied in a following conversation.

Here's a Teaser of it.

[video=youtube;QH27qv3csC4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH27qv3csC4[/video]

Would recommend it if you're into gangster movies. The guy who made it also has a lot of other short skits on his channel if you're interested.

That is some interesting thing there Lorenzo. You should buy a copy and do a review for us. Seems really interesting.

I highly recommend watching India's Daughter. It's a documentary style film about the rape and murder of Jyoti Singh that caused international uproar. Quite painful, infuriating, and riveting. I'm glad to know that some laws in India were changed with regards to cases like this partly due to the nature of the case and resulting reactions from the public.

[video=youtube;YROBVxk17cM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YROBVxk17cM[/video]

This is one of my all time favorite movies that makes me tear up almost every time I watch it.

This definitely strikes home for fans of musicals, The Beatles, and historical references. The film takes place around the time of the Vietnam War and follows the stories of a few characters with intertwining paths as they each find their own drives and start their own journeys during this tumultuous time. There are some awesome cameo appearances by other stars as well, but the movie is amazing regardless.

[video=youtube;DT_1zrxzFVM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT_1zrxzFVM[/video]

City Of Bones

This movie is based on the first part of The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. I give zero stars, or if possible, -5 (negative five) stars. This was quite possibly one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The books were beautifully written and quite captivating. Not only was the casting for the movie very poorly done, but the director took it upon himself to rewrite the story and change the YA theme for a middle age audience instead. As bad as it is, all the "best" parts of the movie were in the trailers so the climatic parts of the movie were already seen and the rest was infuriatingly dull and cliched. It was so bad the author publicly released numerous apologies to her fans who were in an uproar (internet-wise) and was also just as shocked at the final product of the movie stating that out of the clips the director had allowed her to see and relay her opinions on to her fans, more than 60% was not in the movie. The only reason I did not walk out of the theater was because I kept desperately hoping that it would get better. Do not watch this terrible disgrace of a movie.

[video=youtube;vGFk2qpOxqU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGFk2qpOxqU[/video]

Last edited:
Best "Based on a True Story" Movie i have ever watched. 9.5/10 Stars.

This netflix movie had me crying long tears last night. Actors were excellent and Vanessa Hudgens did an amazing job playing Apple. I would recommend this movie to everyone for them to see what it is like out there as a homeless teenager and the struggles some people face everyday. Please give it a watch.

A pregnant teenager flees life with her drug-addicted mother and ends up living on the street before being welcomed into her first real home in Gimme Shelter, an extraordinary tale of survival and redemption inspired by actual events. For 16-year-old Agnes "Apple" Bailey , life has been a constant struggle to overcome the harsh reality of a subsistence existence with her abusive mother, June , and June's string of lowlife boyfriends. When she finds herself pregnant and alone, Apple temporarily takes shelter with her biological father, Tom , a wealthy Wall Streeter living in a New Jersey mansion with his wife Joanna and two young children. But Apple's inability to adjust to her new circumstances, and her refusal to terminate her pregnancy, soon force her back onto the streets. Desperate to find a haven for herself and her unborn child, Apple reluctantly agrees to move into a suburban shelter that houses other pregnant teens. Emotionally scarred and unable to trust those who want to help her, it seems unlikely that Apple will be able to adapt to the shelter's strict rules and high expectations. With her safety and that of her unborn child at risk, Apple must find a way to break the shackles of her unhappy past and embrace the future with clarity, maturity and hope.

513bECyh%2BOL.jpg

Thanks for this review! I meant to watch this movie some time ago and totally forgot about it! Setting it on my download list now!

Finally watched Gimme Shelter and it was definitely a great movie!

I will also recommend My Name is Khan. Starring Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol, it follows the life of a man with Aspergers (a "high functioning" autism spectrum disorder), growing up in India and eventually migrating to the U.S, we see how challenging his disorder is for him on a daily basis. After 9/11, his life and the lives of his loved ones are severely impacted and targeted by widely increasing racism on anyone suspected of being Muslim. He seeks to let the world know that despite being a Muslim, he is not a terrorist and faces a harsh journey with many foiled attempts to say this to the President, though interacting with other "average" people both positively and negatively. This movie perfectly demonstrates how 9/11 impacted the lives of the U.S. citizens and residents as well as for minority residents and visitors, and of course, for Muslims and related people mistakenly stereotyped as extremists/terrorists based on their names, appearance, and/or religion. This film also does a great job at bringing awareness to a lesser known and often misunderstood disorder and bringing the issues of living with it to us on a personal level. Despite growing up during religious rioting, Khan follows his mother's righteous teachings from his childhood and does what he believes is true and right despite often contradicting popular opinion and facing greatly detrimental discrimination for his severely misunderstood or even accepted disease. This is a must-watch for everyone! (For those who dislike musicals, there are no Bollywood song/dance numbers save for a couple mellow background scenes that I forgot about. The movie is done Hollywood style with actors speaking both English and Hindi and was also a big hit with the Western world.)

[video=youtube;JEpqz33vKus]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEpqz33vKus[/video]

I recommend October Baby for those who are interested in movies that is based on a true story . This one covers the topic of Abortion. I cried my eyes out in the ending of this movie. Abortion is such an easy decision for girls out there who made their mistakes and covered it up like nothing happened. But what happens when that abortion failed and now you have a damaged baby inside of you?
October-Baby-1.jpg

October Baby is a 2011 American Christian-themed dramatic starring Rachel Hendrix in her film debut. It is the story of a sickly woman named Hannah, who learns as a young adult that she survived a failed abortion attempt. She then embarks upon a road trip to understand the circumstances of her birth. October Baby was inspired by a YouTube video chronicling the life experiences of abortion survivor Gianna Jessen.

The Stoning of Soraya M tells the true story of a woman who was stoned to death after being accused of committing adultery in 1986. The movie gives remarkable insight into what the life of an average Middle Eastern woman entails with regards to the strict islamic laws that are used by many corrupt, bigoted misogynists in power. It was painful to watch so many abusive relationships, not only marital but community wide as well, regarded as normal and slyly excused by their interpretations of religious law and corruption. Even sadder is that the government continues to carry out these activities and deny them. Every other minute in the movie I was like "This is wrong. That is so wrong!" but it does show you how so many people can follow their mentality, especially when it is a popular way of thinking. A horrible thing to have truly happened, but good that it was made into a film to spread awareness of these issues that should not be considered corrupt excuses for a way of life, but utterly inhuman.

will be watching jurassic world tonight hope its great lol

Someone I know watched it yesterday, said it was super dread and very well done, and plans to go back to watch it again in IMAX lol I think that counts as a positive review lol

Yea it was okay for a new twist didn't feel as how the first one felt haha but interesting also it was interesting

It was not as good as the previous ones! It had some very cliche scenes but we wanted more action !

Mad Max wow loving this movie will advise everyone to go see it it was too good well done hahaha it best will have to watch over in blu Ray

Last edited:
Back