More Like The U.S?

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

LadyDeath

Senior Marketing Officer
Staff member
LV

Day by Day we watch our kids or family adopt foreign ways and forget our culture. Wearing the upscale clothing and changing the tv from a good indian show to mtv or E tv. or even watching the Food channel and telling their mothers they don't want no Prayers Food neither pelau they want all these food names you can't pronounce. We watch them easily backing away from their religion or holy place of worship neither taking part in the community when they have divali celebration or Emancipation day. i know all of us are some what guilty. Do you think that everyone will eventually stop celebrating our rich culture and turn to that of the U.S? This was a big debate in our class the other day so i have to ask you all your opinion?

I'm totally in agreement with you. It's just the norm in this country to do what other countries are doing. Trinidad is known as the "Little America" of the caribbean. We adopt the culture of the US bad. Just take a look at our youths. Simple example. Now I don't mean to offend anyone. But have you ever heard those girls from a Convent school talk?? Its the most sickening thing to listen to. They "try" to sound as if they're american. Even ppl in the middle-class to upper class of our society put on this fake accent to probably broadcast their social status.
The clothes we buy, the way we carry about ourselves, what we talk about, watch, listen to etc. Its all influenced by some-one else's culture. In the music aspect, our youths don't look up to our local artists; they look up to the Movado, Vybz kartel, Busy Signal etc. Not once I heard a youth talk about Sparrow, Kitchener, Chalkdust, Rikki Jai, etc. They don't want that. So to answer you question; while we may not "stop" celebrating our culture, it would be changed up so much to fit the culture of other countries that it would cease to be "our" culture. Just look at was in happening to our carnival. It changed from costumes, to bikinis with beads and feathers like Rio carnival. Every year you see less and less of a costume, and more and more of skin. So its already started and in full swing.

That's how stupid we are. We never really assess a situation. We just see, think its cool or the "in" thing to do and follow like herd!!!! Trini people too absent minded for my part.

Wispa65 said:
I'm totally in agreement with you. It's just the norm in this country to do what other countries are doing. Trinidad is known as the "Little America" of the caribbean. We adopt the culture of the US bad. Just take a look at our youths. Simple example. Now I don't mean to offend anyone. But have you ever heard those girls from a Convent school talk?? Its the most sickening thing to listen to. They "try" to sound as if they're american. Even ppl in the middle-class to upper class of our society put on this fake accent to probably broadcast their social status.
The clothes we buy, the way we carry about ourselves, what we talk about, watch, listen to etc. Its all influenced by some-one else's culture. In the music aspect, our youths don't look up to our local artists; they look up to the Movado, Vybz kartel, Busy Signal etc. Not once I heard a youth talk about Sparrow, Kitchener, Chalkdust, Rikki Jai, etc. They don't want that. So to answer you question; while we may not "stop" celebrating our culture, it would be changed up so much to fit the culture of other countries that it would cease to be "our" culture. Just look at was in happening to our carnival. It changed from costumes, to bikinis with beads and feathers like Rio carnival. Every year you see less and less of a costume, and more and more of skin. So its already started and in full swing.
And look at all our children! they have american accents now!! What the hell is that!!!

Yeah alot of things happening that is the cause

Cultural Change- People go to the US and come back with some of their culture even thou is for less than a month

Interculturation- we adopt their lifestyle and blend in ours with theirs

Cultural Assimilation- Being influenced by the US culture

Westernization- Adopting the western ways

Its completely the same

The only ppl holding on to the culture are ours parents { at least some of them}... The cloths we purchase or sew are from magazines, the food we eat (which will be the fast food outlets) thats also a string of franchies from abroad, The house we build, the malls, etc.... But we can't forget that society is changing so we can't build ordinary houses, stay old fashion etc... The only thing i see that trinis have to remember is religion. moral and values..things like that... So i guess I don't see it as a problem if we adopt some features from them (USA) and have ours values intact..

Yuppz and don't matter what we wil always be influenced by the US body bcuz they are the largest continent closest to us nah..you knw the saying all the small ones look up at the big one lol

Back