Is PC gaming a threat to console gaming?

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!
I'd like add to this thread after playing some "next gen" titles.
PC gaming for what its worth has become too expensive.
With the effort needed to make some games work on "mid spec" hardware is almost not worth the effort.

After playing far cry 4 and looking at some other minimum and recommended specs for new games, it would essentially cost over $1k USD to build a system that's able to properly run the next gen titles currently vs paying $400us for a ps4 and $50us for the online per year. I never thought I'd say it but next upgrade cycle for me I'm going to the ps4. Its just that much cheaper for playing games.

GTA v isn't even out yet and I'm already getting severe vram problems with a 2gb gtx660 and 4gb of ram. The x60 series nvidia cards won't manage to Max far cry 4 which is what I base most of my experience on since its one of those titles playing between the gens.

So based on my experience there is no threat its just based on what one can afford and how technical one wants to get as PC games a lot of the time need troubleshooting to work as they should.

Thanks for pointing that out nirtime. I played Far Cry 3 comfortably on my PC when that came out, didn't play any PC games after that for a while, until I got a copy of Watch Dogs, only to realize that the DirectX version wasn't compatible with my graphics card.
Now I'm finding it hard to pay upwards of $1000. for a graphics card that would only be able to run a game on medium settings....

Far cry 3 is easy to play. I was able to play that on a second gen gtx460v2 which was only a 192 bit in 1gb form.
Then when I upgraded to the 660 it was even better.

I seem to recall an i3 with 4gb of ram and a gt240 even could play GTA iv. That would roughly equate to a 450-500usd system in parts out in the States alone. By comparison a similarly priced system is unlikely to be comfortable playing GTA v now.

I really have no intentions of buying another graphics card , that money may as well buy me a ps4 and by the time I buy enough ram I could get a game and be playing worry free.

We all cant afford beast pcs dude lol
yea we have a pc that can run games but i also came to the realization a long time ago building a beast pc are for those who like the trill alot and have the funds to throw out on high end graphics card etc......i gone and get a ps4 the money i would be spending on pc parts i could be buying more games

That'll be me in time. After calculation, I could have 6 games and online for 2 years plus the cost of a ps4 and it would still be less than a pc to run the same games trouble free out of the box.

I even bought GTA V for the PS3 even though it didn't have some of the features of next gen and even having a capable desktop. I don't really want to wait for the pc version only to be disappointed I have trouble running it properly and then spending time to tweak and hope it works after.

you remind me of the days i had to do tweaking and especially when its you want to play bad.....i use to get frustrated....the things i like pc for is when it comes to fps nothing could beat a mouse yes

Mice or dice for me. Controllers are terrible for fps at my skill level but I know some people who are beasts with the controller.

Back