Independence day

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

madsuya

LV

Trinidad and Tobago gained its independence from Great Britain on August 31st, 1962.....At midnight on 30th August, 1962, the Union Jack (British flag) was lowered and the Trinidad and Tobago flag was raised for the first time.....Bells tolled and sirens rang out to herald the birth of the newly independent nation. This first Independence Day was marked by more than a week of festivities and events across the country from August 28 to September 05, 1962....
Presently Independence Day is celebrated with military-style parades held at the Queen's Park Savannah, Port of Spain and in Scarborough, Tobago.....The evening is usually marked by the presentation of National Awards in a ceremony held at the President's House. These awards honour the outstanding
achievements of citizens of Trinidad and Tobago in various fields.....
The day of celebration comes to a close with fireworks displays at the Queen's Park Savannah, Port of Spain and the Port Authority Compound, Scarborough Tobago....
The National Instrument........The steelpan is a musical instrument indigenous to Trinidad and Tobago
The National Flower.............. the Chaconia, (Warszewiczia Coccinea (Vahl) Kl.), called "Wild Poinsettia" or "Pride of Trinidad and
Tobago", is a flaming red forest flower of the family Rubianceae
The National Birds................THE COCRICO (Rufus Tailed Guan)..and Scarlet Ibis!

Last edited by a moderator:
happy independence day my fellow members!!!!!!!

hahahahah apparently soo! man could take out some reall best shots boi what! should see the rest!

Awesome! I wish i could of been there that night to see the fireworks.

i know the day gone but i worked...didnt see any fireworks but i got double time due to working a public holiday...my money an work comes first before anything..last year i was on san fernando for the display...come next year its the Queen Park Savannah for me...

Oh wow sorry you missed out, but alot of us missed it this year! Next year will be better, hopefully we all can speculate in the festivities!

Back