Huge 8.9 earthquake in Japan. and Tsunami

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

RauCous

LV

After the huge earthquake in Japan these countries are under tsunami warning.
New Zealand, the Philippines, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Hawaii, and others. Waves expected over the next few hours, .
Coastal South american countries like Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, Honduras, Chile, Ecuador, Colombia and Peru. are also at risk.

Japan is one of the most earthquake ready places in the world so i hope that it's not as horrible as it sounds...

UPDATE : 11:03 AM

According to reports in Japan, 32 people have already been kill_ed after an 8.9 magnitude earthquake hit off the coast. Japan's Kyodo News Service now reports that 200-300 bodies have been found in a coastal city.

The Japanese coast guard is also searching for ship with 80 on board washed away by tsunami.

The quake, the fifth largest since 1900, has triggered tsunami waves as big as 23-feet high through the Pacific Ocean. Shortly after 8:00 a.m. EST, Hawaii was hit by the tsunami and now the United States west coast braces for possible waves as well.

FEMA administrator Craig Fugate said tsunami warnings and watches have been issued for the U.S. territories of Guam, the Northern Marianas Islands, and coastal areas in Hawaii, Alaska, California, Oregon and Washington.

There are 20 countries currently under tsunami warnings, and CNN reports there are 50 countries altogether under tsunami watch.

President Barack Obama voiced condolences to Japan Friday for the people who perished in the massive earthquake, saying the United States "stands ready to help" in any way it can.

UPDATE USA OREGON AND CALIFORNIA ARE ADVISED

A tsunami warning has been issued for the central and northern California coast and Oregon, the National Weather Service announced early Friday.

In the San Francisco Bay Area, an emergency warning system announcement for a tsunami warning was braodcast just after 1 a.m. Waves could begin arriving in Crescent City, Calif., at 7:23 a.m. and the Bay Area shortly after 8 a.m.

A lower-level tsunami advisory was issued for the Southern California coast south of Point Concepcion, which includes southern San Luis Obispo County and the counties of Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego.

I now hearing about this omg...what the hell its like 2012 starting up or what... i am so frightened fore these countries i now watch a video with the tsunami 13ft waves. i really hope these countries survive economically yes because some including Japan are Newly Industrialized Countries and something like this can cause their economy to fall

i could of just imagine how devastated their parents were when they heard this on the news...thank god he is safe and away from harm

Varun Boodram, a mathematics student at the Tokyo University, was in Japan when the country was struck by a 9.0-magnitude earthquake and resulting tsunami.

The Boodrams’ wish came true yesterday.
Varun landed at Piarco International Airport around 5 p.m. yesterday.
Both his parents, along with acting Foreign Affairs Minister Roodal Moonilal, were on hand to greet him.

The State paid for Boodram’s return. Moonilal was hugged by Anirudh yesterday.

Dressed in a jersey and jeans, Boodram addressed the media at a news conference in the VIP Lounge after arriving.
When the earth began to shake, Boodram was sitting in h
is dormitory at the Tokyo University. The first tremors did not alarm him, he said, but the massive quake, initially registered at 8.9 on the Richter scale but subsequently upgraded to 9.0, sent him running outside.
“We were talking about, ‘Should we go, should we stay?’, ‘Is this something that we should just ride out,’ because earthquakes are just a part of life in Japan. Sometimes, you sleep through them,” he said.

“The immediate thought after the earthquake struck was simply, ‘That was stronger than usual.’ So I tried to get on the phone to all of my friends to make sure none of them were on the train, in cars on the highway or anything that could have been a bit dangerous.

“But as to myself and my friends, we ran down the stairs into an open area. After I got through to my friends, we went to the biggest area we could find and tried to stay there for the rest of the day.”

Boodram said he was not directly affected by the huge tremors or the fatal tsunami that followed, but was quite alarmed when he learned the university was just 275 kilometres from the now-defunct Fukushima nuclear plant.

No immediate reports of injuries or damage was reported when a major earthquake struck off Japan's northeastern coast Sunday, prompting tsunami advisories....Small tsunamis were observed along the coast, measuring between 10 and 20 centimeters at 10:57 a.m. at the epicenter, about 130 miles east of Sendai.......

Back