How crime started in Trinidad & Tobago

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LV

Awards
How crime started in Trinidad & Tobago this is a good question to ask our selves. Just 5-6 years ago their were like less than 20 murders a year and its 400 plus, what seems to be the cause of this boost in the crime rate,
Are the
1.Foreign workers to be blamed.
2.The high cost of living
3.Music in society today
4.Bad growth of childhood.

Can we discuss this serious talk no one line thing, lets get the root of the problem.

I Think is all....all kind of certain problems lead to this crime..crime began in the days of slavery when masters did all kinda things to slave like kill them etc. slaves used to steal from others etc. so it started long before.....high cost of living made it worst cause there are fights for making a living, stealing to provide for family..music influences 'gangster attitude' to make people feel they are bad and can do whatever they please, also the "bend ova, bend ova..up in yuh belly' songs disgracing females now-a-days and actually they loving how fellas look at them ...i think it is rubbish music like these should be banned its to over rated

The issue of crime in Trinidad & Tobago can be looked at from various viewpoints, however, as a psychology student, I choose to view it through the eyes of a service provider in the field. I have heard (and seen) all sorts of thoughts and opinions, with people laying the blame all over the place, and coming up with all kinds of solutions, many of which are either immoral or illegal, or both. ("Fight fire with fire!", as they say.) Most people, I believe, are both genuinely concerned, and genuine in their belief that (their) solutions would work, however, they begin to lose my support when the suggestions reach to vigilantism and violation of the law. I think that those suggestions validate the behavior of criminals, and, for fear of their own lives (yes, criminals love themselves), would make them more violent, paranoid, and desperate, which, I think, is the worst kind of criminal to deal with in the first place. Further, most commentary fail to understand when "cause and effect" occurs, and, as such, often confuse the relationship between two variables (for example, TV violence and crime) with what, in most cases are correlations. In other words, TV violence does not "cause" crime, however, I agree, that there are strong (positive) correlations between the two. (As the amount of TV violence viewed increases, the level of crime also increases.) We must admit, though, that there are other variables: poverty, racism and discrimination, etc. Neither "causes" crime, but each has its own special relationship with/to crime.
To honestly answer the question, "How crime started in Trinidad & Tobago", one would have to say that it started with piracy and colonialism; the taking of another people's land, wiping them out, enslaving another group of people to build your wealth, then taking another group of people, who simply wanted a better life for their families, and coming up with a way to pay them well below what they were worth, namely, indentureship. At the same time, these peoples were taught in schools about these same "criminals": Christopher Columbus, Admirals Benbow and Nelson, and so on, and that their ancestors were uncivilized, inferior, pagan, non-human beings that needed Christianizing. TV and movies reinforced the glamorizing of criminal behavior and killing (with guns), in general: Jesse James, Casablanca, Oliver Twist, The Godfather... As a result, TNT culture absorbed these images, and calipsonians and steelbands began taking on names (and personas) to reflect these criminal influences. Names like Crossfire, Invaders, Tripoli, Casablanca, Tokyo, Lord Sniper, Mighty Terror, Bomber, etc., thus became normal sobriquets. One can only wonder how many panmen and others would have died during the violent steelband clashes, had guns been the weapon of choice over cutlasses; how many more helpless wives would have been shot instead of maimed or chopped by advantageous, abusive husbands.
So the "criminal" mentality is nothing new, and even among those of us who claim to be "law-abiding", many still break driving laws, drug laws, tax laws, real estate law, and the list goes on. Every individual in a society is influenced by a combination of spiritual, psychological, and physical factors, and both nurture (genetics, biological makeup, etc.) and nature (the environment and its benefits and/or hazards) play a role on a person's behaviors and attitudes. I am positive that among those involved in criminal activity, there would be a few that have psychological issues, some may actually have medical issues, while some will be (what we call) "pure rotten". Our criminal justice system need to seriously reconsider the benefits of treatment and rehabilitation; to house inmates (yes, criminals are people) in inhumane conditions poses further crime and health risks to our society. We cannot afford to lose our own humanity in attempting to solve the crime problem.
I am about to form a non-profit organization in Trinidad & Tobago focused on adolescent crime and gang activity. Our mission is to address what we believe is the main underlying issue with deviant behavior among our youth, namely, identity. Our approach is based on an old saying my mother used to always repeat: "Prevention is better than cure." In that light, we aim to be proactive rather than reactive, by intervening at appropriate moments, using innovative, age-relevant approaches to counsel and mentor "at risk" school-aged students. We understand that the social injustices of slavery (Maafa), colonialism and capitalism, discrimination and marginalization, have played their parts in our society's exponential decrease in quality of life, and that it will take the entire TNT village to solve our problems. Separation by "race", class, religion, political party, area, band "we from", or any other reason, is counterproductive to the effort. I read the most asinine comment where the author was suggesting that Trinidad's non-traditional "religions" (Orisha,Shango, etc.) and the spirits they evoke, as being the reasons for the escalation in crime. That sort of religious bigotry has to end; GOD gave us all the right to worship (or not) in the way we choose, granted that at the end of the day we all have to account for our choices. Until the images of Africans (and Indians) and people of African (and Indian) descent are corrected from "inferior, pagan, need to be "Christianized" and "born again", our society will continue to rob young minds of the knowledge of who they really are, what they are really capable of, and what choices they must make to get there. Society has rubbed their luxuries and wealth, their unapologetic egos and their individualism, their unwillingness to share or, at least help in some way, any way, for far too long. They ignored a problem that is now deeply rooted in the minds of these same youth now involved in criminal activity, and the "shoot "em up, and kill "em all" approach will not solve the crime problem. We must be willing to go to the source of the problem, conduct empirical research on "at risk" youth's attitudes and opinions on crime and gang activity, have alternative programs to reinforce fundamental moral values and distract youth from deviant behavior, have prisons and rehab programs the really rehab, get involved with the communities outside of our own, encourage the government to have a bonafide witness protection program that works with our neighbors and allies in the region’s relocation efforts (probably swap witnesses between countries), and finally, start thinking like a "village" again. Individual wealth and success are only as enjoyable as the ability to use them freely without fear or guilt.
I hope my comments are met with the genuine love from which they were sent.

Trini 2 D Bone!!!

Da Natty Professor

How crime started in Trinidad and Tobago

Word.. You guys are thorough. But what is meant by this "christianizing" I'm not familiar with that concept.
Crime results from many interweaving influences but I think one of the major causes is human nature, not that crime is natural, but that some traits seem inseparable from the human existance. As to how it reaches these purportions that would take a longer answer.

Re: How crime started in Trinidad and Tobago

"Christianizing" means forcing Western "Christianity" on an unwilling and resistant people. Do you see that as "criminal" (i.e. Chattel Slavery)?
RauCous said:
Word.. You guys are thorough. But what is meant by this "christianizing" I'm not familiar with that concept.
Crime results from many interweaving influences but I think one of the major causes is human nature, not that crime is natural, but that some traits seem inseparable from the human existance. As to how it reaches these purportions that would take a longer answer.

To me crime started because of people's greed..... They never have enough, always want more and will do anything to get more....

Not only that too when people are faced to live their lives into poverty they will turn to crime, single parents, people who don't have an education, high food prices these things turn good people to crime

Now imagine all the companies going thru recession now and with all this talk about this increase in tax for people of pos imagine how many people going to be laid off who cannot pay that money then when people are unemployed it will lead to people stealing money to provide for their family

boy ppl doh want to go an wuk, every ting dey c u have dey wat dat!!!
ppl eye tooooo looong now, dishonest an uncorporative also lazy

Crime started when corruption started. When the government decided to make decisions for the benefit of themselves, the citizens started to do the same.

Corruption to succeed needs good people to give up & give in. Also you can't blame the government because it was US who put them there and keep them there. Consider this scenario:

You are walking down the street and for no reason, I walk up to you and hit you with a bat right across your face. Obviously I am in the wrong.

Same scenario but only this time think about this: What if the day before, you gave me the bat? Who is the cause of your calamity?

hmmm i like that theory lol...

I know crime started since the days of slavery but its going to continue and no one can stop it...however we can prevent some by the use of our so called police officers and security and much more strict law penalties

There's only one problem with that theory ArbiterofTruth and its the most important, you're totally negating freedom of choice. If yes I did indeed give you the bat, which is not categorized as a weapon, and then you proceed to use it as such, that is your personal choice and thus you are solely responsible. I can't be held accountable for what you choose to do with what is given to you.

Example: Thousands of people are attending universities and tertiary institutions every day educating themselves. But what if a few decided to use their knowledge to swindle the uneducated, the less fortunate, or to cheat or embezzle. Are you going to blame these schools?! Obviously not. It is what people decide to do with the situations that are given to them.

Another example that counters your exact example: A man walks into a house and strangles his wife to death.

But the day before, the man and the woman have an argument and she cusses him out and embarrasses him etc.

Are you telling me that she is responsible for her own calamity? I hope not.

BUT when you have institutions in place that can be held responsible for the state of affairs such as the GOVERNMENT, you can put the pressure on them, because they have the resources and it is their sole purpose and duty to protect and manage the country. And as far as "US" voting them in, use that term loosely because the current gov't had a minority win as in the majority of voters voted against the winning party.

When we ask the question as it is stated as the subject of the post, we deceive ourselves in the sense that; crime has been a part of human nature since the beginning of our existence. No place is exempt to this. It started in biblical days when the first human beings disobeyed God. So to say when it started in Trinidad would be irrelevant. Trinidad was under the rule of other countries. Particularly the British, Spaniards etc. And be sure that crime was prevelant in those times. So one cannot ask when crime started in T&T. it was always here. We came and meet it here; we're going to pass o and leave it here also.

There's only one problem with that theory ArbiterofTruth and its the most important, you're totally negating freedom of choice.

There is no problem at all. You had the freedom to choose and you chose to give me the bat. The fact that you will feel like an ass afterwards is the only problem you will have.

I wish you would have continued to quote me ArbiterofTruth because then you would realise what you just said doesn't make any sense.

Yes I chose to give you the bat, but it is NOT categorized as a "weapon" as I stated in my previous response, THEREFORE if you choose to use it in a harmful way only you will be responsible for the consequences of your actions.

Then again, you haven't discussed any other point I made in my argument other than my first line, and judging from your response, it seems like your opinion is stoned, therefore there is no other reason to continue this debate.

This isn't a debate. You have your opinion and I have mine, it's as simple as that. An icepick is used for ice but people use it as a weapon, aerosols are used to spray insects or freshen the air but put a lighter in front of it and you've got a flamethrower so your opinion "the bat is not a weapon" holds no water. The fact remains; you CHOSE to give me the instrument of your destruction, deal with it.

My original point was in reference to the politics and I used the scenario as a rough outline to bring it into perspective. At the end of the day all I'm trying to say is don't come crying "Oh Gawd d government wicked bwoy, oh gooooooooooood. How dey sufferin d poor people so!", when you were up & down campaigning for them, or if not you at least voted for them. We don't encourage our government to treat us properly. In the US, people who wish to lead the country must engage in debates to not only judge their intelligence but their own personal beliefs on issues that affect all citizens/civilians. It is based on these beliefs/positions/ideals on such things as abortion, same sex marriages, war, crime, education, economics, health care or the death penalty etc. that the people who they are hoping to lead can say, "hmm this guy believes in the same stuff as I do. He has the same vision I have and he may lead the country in the direction I as a citizen/civilian would like it to go. He's got my vote!"

What do we get here? "We go beat dem in d East, we go beat dem in d West, we go beat dem in d North , we go beat dem in d South, we go beat dem , we go beat dem, we go beat dem!!!!!" *applause from fanatics" It is WE who are the harbingers of our own doom. When the price of red meat went up in the US by a penny (ONE FRIGGIN' CENT) they refused to buy it and left it on the shelves until the people who were selling were forced to drop it back to the original price.
What do we get here? The price of flour goes up, bread goes up; fair enough, but when the bastards of NFM got competition from Country Pride all of a sudden flour could have been reduced magically. Did the bread come back down after this? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I remember when I had TSTT High Speed Internet (before they had Blink) we all had 256k and as soon as we heard another phone company was coming (we didn't even have a name or anything in concrete) we all got bumped up to 512k. A whopping 100% increase in speed. I got home a day from work and was informed TSTT called to find out if I was satisfied with my internet. Funny how they only wondered how I was feeling about the service they were providing me only when someone else was coming to take a piece of the pie. Phone that were extremely expensive became dirt cheap all of a sudden and you people still want to buy Bmobile after all the bullshit they put you through? Enjoy yourselves!

You're right. Every one is entitled to their own opinion, such is our freedom. By the way, I never said that a bat "is not a weapon", I was careful to say it is not "categorized as such". Those two statements mean two totally different things. Also if you re-read what you wrote, you would realise you agreed with my point.

"An icepick is used for ice but people use it as a weapon." Exactly. It doesn't mean every person that has an ice pick is a criminal, it is the ones that use it as a weapon. Freedom of choice. Anyway, I digress.

I agree with what you said about people campaigning and then complaining, it will forever be an issue in this country, because of our politics is nothing more than glorified barbershop talk. Our politicians don't try to make themselves the best candidates for the job, but instead try to paint their opponents as the worst, and in the end, we all lose. But at the end of the day, it is in their job description to do their duty and they should be held accountable for the inability to function effectively.

Sorry but the question seems to be a bit too simple. Other comments referenced the fact that crime is not exclusively a Trini thing but a human trait. Fact is it only began to escalate when the root of all evil became a part of our culture and materialism reigned supreme. That plus the fact that there are so many of us have a follow-fashion mentality. Blame it on video games, the movies or money but it all boils wanting more and more.

Grand theft Auto has alot to do with how youths mentality are today, this game encourages gamers to act like a criminal. Spending much time on that game will cause you to lose sense of reality and think of life just as the game.

Back