Headlight Restoration Discussion

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!
Wouldn't use a car clear for plastic headlights for a few reasons. Firstly it's not made to hold specifically to plastic so it's going to flake. Secondly it has very little UV protection to offer plastic and the plastic can yellow under the clear coat and render the whole light useless. If you can get a plastic specific clear paint with UV protection that would be the best bet

Oh I said car clear coat as in the 2k stuff shot from an air gun. That usually is made with some form UV inhibition in mind and I do believe I have seen a few online sites where people ahve done it and held up for a few years. I seriously was uneventful with this whole headlights thing...

Man I'm honestly really sorry I wasn't able to have it up by now. Lots of complications made it not happen. I have to fulfill that, I made a promise to you.

Don't worry man. No pressure. I'm just curious about that method.

anyone of you all knows who can do this or the best do it yourself way....

Of course but it depends on the severity of your oxidation and if you want to apply UV Coating, I am trying my very best to get a car to test a method on atm.

Usually though, for really yellowed lenses using 800-1000 grit sand paper wth some water(wet sanding) can cut away the yellowed layer of plastic and then you can wet sand using 1500 and 2000 grit to refine the scratches and then buff out with a strong compound of choice. That will restore 96% scratch-free clarity. the other 4% will fill itself if you clear coat but I am really trying to get a car to test out a new method on that is bound to work out good and last more than a year.

I have found by applying Meguiar's headlight protectant to the lights really does provide excellent UV protection for about 2-3 months.

lol i'll take a pic and post it for you all to see tomorrow

Would you like to try my method of UV Coating? I've asked about six people and nobody has wanted to do it. I can't do it as my own lights are really clean.

lol...i have nothing to loss will can i organize with you for the middle of may??? post pics if u acquire a car and do it

As an update, I never did the method that I promised after speaking with a professional detailer who is well aware of it. It can cause yellowing of the lenses and is not really recommended. Opti-Lens is highly recommended but as a matter of convenience Meguiars Headlight Protectant is very useful.

Back