FREE DEALERSHIP ALARM: Kia Trinidad Dealership Alarm uninstalled and rewired!

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

nirtime

LV

It's a common thing to purchase a car without an alarm in Trinidad and Tobago and get what's called a free dealership alarm. Basically the dealer has their shop/group of installers make quick work of installing an aftermarket alarm on a brand new car. This usually means a basic Viper 350 Plus alarm, you'll know it by the remote. It so happens that I was given the job to install a rear view camera on a lovely Kia and as soon as I pulled the driver's side fuse box cover, I was met with a disgracefully installed "starter kill" relay and excess transmitter wire totally blocking access to any and all fuses. This thread serves to show how poorly these "free" alarms are installed. Someone told me that the one I worked on was the worst he's seen. I have to say, it is not the worst as the car actually started and worked trouble free for 2 years. However, I cannot say that it would have started for much longer given the shoddy work that was done and that will documented in this thread. Feel free to have a look, feel free to comment, I'd like to hear from you if you have had issues with your new car due to a free alarm as well.

I was greeted by this upon gently removing the user removeable fuse cover.

This is how the ignition, power and starter wires were tapped at the steering column. It was a good waste of tape as it was lazily wrapped showing a lack of pride. I am not a daily tradesman but I can tell you, its things like these that made me get my hands dirty.

Alarm Module/Brain loosely fitted into a crevice between the dash support frame and the fuse box. Any thief would have this alarm disabled in 2 seconds flat.

Upon pulling off the side cover on the part of the dash that meets the door when closed, this is what I found. The metal there was sharp, it is not visible in the picture but eventually the wire insulation would have cut away resulting in a short circuit.

Lower dash panel pulled, it literally looked as though this alarm was just taken out of the box and installed as is.

Dash support frame in the lower right hand corner of picture. This is how the alarm was "mounted". It was shoved into a crevice. I am surprised it never hit against the plastic beauty panel and made noise.

Here is a shot of the door harness wiring for the alarm.

Very lazily tapped and visible from the fuse box area. I am not happy.

Starter Kill relay.

As far as I'm aware this isn't a standard wiring practice.

After moving this around a little bit this happened. Totally safe. I have done twist and tape installs which have lasted for many years and continue to hold with every strand and I am not an installer. Very bad.

Starter Kill Relay wiring

Alarm siren and bonnet switch wiring. Prior to my repair, I inspected this car once when brand new and there was 1 strand of wire grounding the siren to its base... According to the Viper installation manual the ground for the siren should not be at it's base and I definitely do not think 1 strand is a good ground.

Bonnet switch wire taped to the hood release cable.

Hole drilled for the bonnet switch. Looks as if it was drilled from below....

Missing bolt from A pillar... On a supposedly new car with 1 owner.

As soon as the A pillar trim was pulled, these wires came swinging down at me.

Wire for door triggers was tapped into the dome light ground, that's fine but the wire was being squeezed between the roof liner and metal of the roof.

Notice the tape on wires leading to similar location, good install ethics by yours truly on the reinstall.

Harness insulation was butchered by installer and left like this with a little piece of tape to hold the tapped wires which I removed as seen earlier.

Rewiring commenced.

These wires were double insulated and then a third piece of tape was used to keep things slightly neat.

Taped up to look clean and have a bit of a factory appearance. The tapped wires are not visible.

Fuse box area cleaned up properly. All alarm wires were properly wrapped in black electrical tape to provide further insulation and retain neatness to blend with the oem.

This is how the park lights were tapped for the alarm. Diodes were not necessary but this isn't a very good tap.

Once the little bit of tape was removed from the harness leading to the steering column, it was evident that the oem insulation was badly cut.

Another angle. Starter wire was cut for relay. I personally would not have tapped any wires this far down the column as it is far too obvious and dysfunctional from a stealthy point of view.

The cut was already made by Mr.Installer and so I opted to rewire and neaten.

I don't think that's going to be a problem for a long while.

The Ground Wire for the alarm.

Wrapped around a bolt and bolted into PLASTIC.

Has the plastic melted? I have my reverse sensor module tapped into an oem dash bolt but it has never melted like this due to making 100% contact with clean metal and not plastic.

Alternate angle of ignition harness after repair.

Park light wire taps moved. Pretty much concealed within the factory loom.

Retaining a somewhat factory appearance under the dash. For anyone who knows what the oem Kia stuff looks like its pretty obvious to tell that someone has messed with it.

Factory appearance 70%. Alarm install completed and fuse box is 100% usable as intended by Kia Motors Korea and there is not an aftermarket wire in sight.

Lower dash panel back on. No more relay, no more transmitter wires and no more alarm module.

Notes
Install Notes:
-Relay and Alarm Module were both moved to better locations.
-Given the constraints of already being done, this took me far more time to do at an acceptable level than a clean install.

Behind the camera guy notes:
-I am not an installer. I do this as a hobby and as a means to change that which I do not like.
-There will be an update to this thread in the coming days as the engine room alarm wires get sorted out.
-The dirt on the fuse box wiring is a result of living with permanently sweaty hands. It puts me to a disadvantage in that my grip is far less than average but it has not managed to stop me ever.

Disclaimer: I hope in no way to discredit anyone's work by making this thread. It is my intention to highlight my dissatisfaction with most of these free alarms. I have had experiences already with brand new vehicles shutting down in crucial life or death moments due to the failure of dealership installed accessories and alarms.

If anyone wishes to use these pictures, by all means go ahead just give credit where it is due and be sure to mention TriniMotors.

Wow! Extremely good write up. This is why I'm learning to do everything I can for myself. So hard to find installers/mechanics that you can trust.

wow its amazing to know even when you think you're buying a new car from these stealerships they still find a way con you with poor ethics.

These things as seen in the pics can cause fire and just leaves to my imagination what else shady work they had done.

Lol but the cars came from the factory lol so It had to be cleared before roll off...those shuddy things may have been from who ever else installed there stuff b4 it reach I.e alarm ppl lol

Lol but the cars came from the factory lol so It had to be cleared before roll off...those shuddy things may have been from who ever else installed there stuff b4 it reach I.e alarm ppl lol

The dealership in Trinidad gets it installed before the car is sold to customers. We know the car came from the factory in Korea without having anybody interfere with it. So I don't see a problem there.

wow its amazing to know even when you think you're buying a new car from these stealerships they still find a way con you with poor ethics.

These things as seen in the pics can cause fire and just leaves to my imagination what else shady work they had done.

On this car that was all they did. If im buying a brand new car I want no hands interfering with it. Makes me wonder if you need to inspect a new car pretty much like a used car now.

Well from now on the onle free extras I accepting is tint and rims. I'll get my alarm installed elsewhere.

Lmao them free tint does be cheap sometimes and looking real old on care that are 8yrs old forming air pockets or peeling

Yep true that as well. Depends on what kind of tint they get done it begins to break down before it really should but I have seen this be less of a problem than the alarms, at least from what I've seen.

For real. Anyway, tint is just cosmetic so it's not a big deal. That electrical thing have me real worried. I wonder how many fires started because of that.

For real. Anyway, tint is just cosmetic so it's not a big deal. That electrical thing have me real worried. I wonder how many fires started because of that.

The fuses/fusible links will blow before the fire starts in most cases. What happens to a lot of them is the fuse blows or whatever they tapped develops strange issues until its found and redone.

I also worry about shops. Had a shop do the previous car and it was better than this install but I did not like how scrappy the wires were tapped. They tapped most of the wires at the kick panel and when I installed new wire in the driver's door for an aftermarket stereo I had to bunch up, put more tape on a few joints and zip tie it tightly to get the panel back on.

It also happened that right below the steering wheel, where the lower dash panel was on that car, the middle piece below the steering shaft came out separately and they pretty much just left the power /ground wires there making it a one second alarm kill job.

Well that's pointless. I feel I'll check my alarm this weekend as I wasn't there when it was installed.

Another electrical story. Right now it looks like the previous owner of my bike tampered with the wiring for my indicators so even though my indicator was good (before the accident) the wires weren't connected to the indicator. Now I these two open wires were just hanging there and anytime they touched they would short and a little bit of smoke would come out. Right now I have it taped up until I could get everything repaired to prevent it from doing further damage.

Well that's pointless. I feel I'll check my alarm this weekend as I wasn't there when it was installed.

Another electrical story. Right now it looks like the previous owner of my bike tampered with the wiring for my indicators so even though my indicator was good (before the accident) the wires weren't connected to the indicator. Now I these two open wires were just hanging there and anytime they touched they would short and a little bit of smoke would come out. Right now I have it taped up until I could get everything repaired to prevent it from doing further damage.

Which two wires is it? Doesn't sound good though.

Check the wiring from the fuse then to the relay, switch, flasher and bulb sockets.

I assume it's the two wires that are supposed to connect to my indicator. Never got the chance to investigate it properly but the wires were just hanging loosely right behind where they are supposed to connect to the indicator.

I assume it's the two wires that are supposed to connect to my indicator. Never got the chance to investigate it properly but the wires were just hanging loosely right behind where they are supposed to connect to the indicator.

To the indicator switch or the flasher unit? It seems I'm fixing Indicators a lot lately.

To the indicator itself it seems. I wonder if it's safe to just reconnect it.

Just be careful, if it's connected incorrectly or to the wrong place it will blow the fuse and can cause other electrical problems along the indicator chain.

I assume you mean to the bulb? Possibly wiring to an original/old bulb socket?

Yeah I meant to the bulb. motorcycle eletricals are a lot simplier tham cars so things don't tend to go wrong often. At least on a bike as old as mine.

Yeah I meant to the bulb. motorcycle eletricals are a lot simplier tham cars so things don't tend to go wrong often. At least on a bike as old as mine.

Things don't go wrong often with factory prepared cars. Often times its the mods people do that cause problems. It seems like someone messed with your indicator system, maybe added another indicator bulb? I really am not understanding what another pair of wires would be doing hanging loosely. You should trace it and see where it goes. I'm sure the Bike will have a flasher unit being a 90s/early 2000s.

Oh my ! Sorry to say Nirvan but i am not surprised! I hope you sent this thread to the dealership to make them aware that we are on to them and their cheapness. What they are doing is not right at all and needs to be made aware to the public. However, not Kia alone though, but all dealerships in Trinidad are looking for a cheap, cost effective way out, especially during promos.

The Kias actually comes with a great factory alarm in Korea, sorry to say these that are shipped here are the lower basic end models.

My brother has been facing a problem with his Optima. Since he bought it last year, we are still smelling outdoors when the car is on for the air to circulate inside. 3 Services and still they cannot find the problem. His tweeters on the dash has also blown and every time he asks, they are still sourcing it. Mind you this car was bought late last year. Smh

Back