Driver's Education

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

anthonemorris

LV

Finally a topic of discussion about the right and wrong way to do things on the roads. All are invited to contribute. This thread is going to try to educate us about the motor vehicle act and what is expected of us according to the laws of our wonderful country, as well as discussion as to what we see as needing updating. Should be fun.

One must remember that lights a fitted to a vehicle which was not officially made for the vehicle by the manufacture are unauthorized lights and any other lights afitted to one's vehicle must get in writing a certificate from the transport commissioner.

I would like to add that the right lane is for overtaking. Keep left except when overtaking. Some folks does want to drive slow in the right lane or 'fast' lane.

1. At an intersection where there is a flashing amber traffic light you must: Slow down and proceed with caution...This is not a signal to accelerate faster or keep on pushing in the traffic line!

2. Identification plates which must be placed in an upright position in front and rear of a motor vehicle must be painted in:Black background with white letters and figures or white luminous background with black letters and figures..No fancy letters!

3. The law require as regards tinted glass and windshield of vehicles that It shall not be so tinted, treated or darkened as to obscure the view of the inside of the vehicle from the outside.- It all depends on an officer's opinion.

4. You should under all conditions drive at a speed which will allow you to:Stop within a safe distance..No tailing and bumpering!

5. At night when you meet another vehicle with blinding bright lights, the safest thing to do is:
Look slightly to the left hand side of the roadway. This is not an invitation to high beam them back lol although we all do it !

6. When descending a steep hill, a good safe driving practice is to:Gear down and use motor to assist in braking..

Have in my possession the fines attached to the violations of the motor vehicles act 48:50. Will compile it alongside the law and give examples as needed. Should help us to not pay the govt too much

admin said:
One must remember that lights a fitted to a vehicle which was not officially made for the vehicle by the manufacture are unauthorized lights and any other lights afitted to one's vehicle must get in writing a certificate from the transport commissioner.

I believe that either these laws need to be revised or the mechanism for giving "permission" via a document has to be improved. They are simply outdated and dinosaur like. I do a lot of off-roading and in the year 2014 in this blessed country of ours, I can't even install a pair of fog lights without being hassled by the police ? Lighting mechanism to help make my hobby safer ? Seriously ? And we pride ourselves in being or heading towards development and looking at promoting motorsports ?

We need to get out of this 1962 mindset.

Laws was passed for fog lights i believed sometime ago but if activated (is on) it must be tilted at an angle (The exact angle was quoted) downwards and if it must be on it should only do so at the Gazetted Time.

I really think that all drivers should take a defensive drivers course before going behind the wheel of a car

I've been hearing about this defensive driving course, but what is it actually about?

Alright. Basically in trinidad we only do halfway things. The defensive driving course offered by most companies only give the theory of the course. What it is trying to show drivers is the safest and most observant way to handle a vehicle while on the road.

ohhhhhh okay ,so i've asked around, ive heard that its like a track they set up with obstacles that you must manoeuvre around and they assess you on that, also it helps with insurance .

thats really cool, ill take a course a day, once someone coming with me so i wouldnt be held liable for anyone death on the track

Only one company offers that practical part. Think its central logistics.

It must be important for a safe drive.Driver must be learn about all the rules of traffic so it keeps its driving in a good way because he aware from all the rules.

Back