Couple Jailed For Having Sex In United Arab Emirates

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LV

Awards
Stay away from that backward country, I taught Trinidad was backward but this shitty country stole the cake.

couple-uae_0.png

A couple have been arrested and jailed in the United Arab Emirates (U.A.E.) after it was discovered that they had sex before marriage.

Emlyn Culverwell‚ 29, and Iryna Nohai, 27, were both arrested in Abu Dhabi on January 27 after a medical exam revealed that Nohai was pregnant. Nohai, who is from the Ukraine, went to the hospital after having severe stomach cramps. Tests later confirmed that she was pregnant and she and her fiancé, Culverwell, who is from South Africa, were arrested. They have remained in custody since then. The couple had only been engaged for two days.

Sexual intercourse before marriage is illegal in the U.A.E. and those who are convicted face long prison sentences.

“The only thing they did wrong was fall in love,” said Culverwell’s mother, Linda.

While they have been in custody since late January, they have yet to be charged because authorities are still trying to determine the child’s paternity and how long the couple have been sleeping together.

“For heaven’s sake, how can they supposedly determine that?” Cluverwell’s mother told the media. “I can imagine the hell [Nohai] is going through. It must feel as if she is being raped by the authorities.”

Both the South African and Ukranian government are able to intervene on behalf of the couple since the matter is under domestic UAE law. They have both been advised to seek legal assistance.

“All we can do is monitor the situation and try to ensure that they are fairly treated,” Department of International Relations spokesman Nelson Ngwete told the media.

Culverwell has been reportedly working in the UAE since 2012. He and Nohai have been together since 2014.

“We are trying to get messages to the two to say we love them and that they shouldn’t be worried,” Linda said. “What concerns me most, is that we actually haven’t got a clue how they are. All the Department of International Relations is prepared to say is that we have ‘to be patient’, but there are three lives at stake here.”

I really cant give accurate comments on this particular scenario as I don't have unbiased details.
But my thing is...
Every country has its own set of defined rules that the citizens and visitors are mandated to follow.
If there are people who are not in agreement with the laws set by that country, then don't go there... simple!
Don't go to a country to sneak around and quietly break their laws in one way or the other - then when you get caught, try to analyze the law under question and look for pity.

The same can be said about the U.S. under the Trump administration. There are many new "rules and laws" that presently don't make sense to anybody. When people still go there and suffer the consequences, they jump out to bash the rule/law and look to the world for pity.

You don't like the law of a country... stay away.
It is up to the citizens of that country to change what exists if they think it needs changing.
It is not up to a mere visitor and their pleas, after they broke the law.

Back