COSTLY FLOOD

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

LadyDeath

Senior Marketing Officer
Staff member
LV

GETTING WATER: Flood victim Clyde Fernandez fetches water yesterday from a nearby river to wash down slush from his yard in the aftermath of Saturday's flooding in Diego Martin. -Photo: MICHEAL BRUCE

More than 15,000 people were affected and millions of dollars in damage caused by the weekend's torrential rains in East and West Trinidad, officials said yesterday.

Chairman of the Tunapuna/Piarco Regional Corporation Patricia Mejias told the Express it was the worst flooding she had seen and believed that the country was not prepared for a hurricane.

"This was just a mild thing, what if we get a hurricane? We have to be prepared and I don't think we are really ready for a disaster in this country," she said.

"I am praying every day, after what I saw yesterday (Saturday) and today (Sunday) I am praying that it don't happen, we are not ready for that," Mejias continued.

She said more than 15,000 people in the Eastern part of the country were affected by flooding because all rivers in the Eastern corridor broke their banks, breaking bridges and causing areas that were never flooded before to come under water.

"This is the first time we have ever seen that kind of flooding, places that never flood before have water. We're out on the field and we are seeing a lot of damages. I'm just so confused now because it's so much," said an overwhelmed Mejias.

She said Millennium Park, Trinicity, for the first time was flooded, causing residents there to lose millions as their houses and everything in them were submerged with water.

"It's really, really bad," said Mejias as she pointed to areas that were flooded such as Bon Air Gardens, Maloney, La Horquetta, St Helena, Carapo, Tunapuna, Trincity, St Augustine North and South.

She called on residents who fall under the Tunapuna/Piarco Regional Corporation to call and let the corporation know what sort of help they needed in the aftermath of the floods.

"Some people have lost practically everything. One woman in St Clair Gardens has mud all on her bed, another woman lost her car and a young man in Bon Air Gardens also lost his car," said Mejias.

"In Bon Air, people saw lightning pierce a hole in the ground. It was something else," added Mejias.

Paul Guerra, councillor for La Florissante/Cleaver and head of the disaster unit, said on the Eastern Main Road there were a number of houses flooded as well as two mosques and a church in Tacarigua that were badly hit.

He said the effects could have been even of more disastrous proportions if the Works Ministry did not dredge the Caroni River.

Guerrea said most of the staff from the corporation were called out and were working together with the Office of Disaster and Preparedness Management (ODPM) to help the people clear water and debris from their homes.

"I haven't slept yet, I have been out there since yesterday and we are trying our best to help the thousands affected," he said.

Mejias warned flood victims to empty all utensils and ensure there was nothing lying around for mosquitoes to breed.

She said the corporation was working as" quickly" as it could to clear the debris as well as all the soaked carpets and furniture that people were forced to dump.

She lamented that the corporation did not have enough resources to deal with the thousands of flood victims.

"We are lacking equipment and manpower. Right now the manpower cannot do the kind of work that is happening now," said Mejias.

Asked what might have caused the flooding, Mejias said: "The cutting of the hills, development, people dumping their rubbish in the rivers and not only that...nature. This is something that I have never seen."

She said not only have houses been flooded, a number of roofs were also blown away.

Yesterday, the North Coast Road was closed after landslips caused a huge amount of debris to block the roads.

Various parts of the West were also badly affected by flooding, including Diego Martin.

Chairman of the Diego Martin Regional Corporation Steven Castagne said the corporation, along with the Works Ministry, URP and the Fire Service, was carrying

Yeah it was really terrible. The 3ft concrete drains get blocked, full up to the brim, with dirt and big stones and rocks. I've never seen rocks and dirt full a drain before. Thats just to show how fast and how much water was flowing. I actually saw a waterfall up by me for a couple of hours after the rain.

lol hmm dat is water eh...i never experienced a flood really...i livin on a kinda high hill here! but i sorry 4 d ppl that do get this kind of inconvenience

I hear the price of oil( not cooking oil) went down ..... which affected the price of steel , bricks etc to go down too...I wonder if it will reach to the food prices too...

I dont know resha but it looks like a good start :icon_confused:

Yea but this is Trinidad when food prices go up they don't fall i want to see if dubbles prices will fall

I think yuh have a point there Admin.... The prices would not change.... It's trinidad... What goes up stays up....

But i really did notice a little change a little right kiss slice bread remember it was 11.50 now its 11 dollars hope it will go back down to 5 dollars and thing lol

Wow I didnot even know that... But 5 dollars ....there is no way they would reach that price....Lettuce which was ten dollars is now five dollars...

admin said:
Yea but this is Trinidad when food prices go up they don't fall i want to see if dubbles prices will fall
me too... lets keep wishing... lol.
people in Trinidad, (especially small shop owners like the one by me) does raise when they dont have to... so sad, i wonder if they'll raise even if they'll still make money..

Yea they will staill make more money because thats how we trini's are we will just complaint one week or 2 and then accept it. Same for crime, and we will just continue to buy it

If only people could change...

It come like when chaguanas raise the taxi fee from POS from seven dollars to nine dollars... two dollars increase.... Some people stayed away but other continue to support them... But the thing is these people have other alternatives like the maxi and bus.. why don't they use that... But no they want to pay nine dollars instead of four dollars....

jus because tue is divali dey raise d oil 2 light deya frm 10 it gone to $20. but d ting is we hv no choice

Yeah jed i find that gone real sky high..That not suppose to be soo gawd

Fasting done for the Hindus and up goes the price of chicken!!!!!

Hmmmmm the shame of business people yes , Have you seen the price of potato it was 99 cents per pound we will see if it would increase back

I taught food prices are suppose to be going down about now due to the economy falling, The value of the oil prices dropping why is it still high

this is wat is wat i think the business ppl think. if u payin the high price y make it cheaper. they complaining but they still buyin. soo lol. hard times

Back