Converting Rear Brake Drums to Calipers

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

Saxman642

LV

I recently got my car brought back to near peak condition with some overdue repairs.

(At least my mechanic did a quality job and actually FIXED my issues, for less money, unlike one 'mechanic shop' next to KFC Diego Martin)

One thing I did learn is that my rear brake drums are in a mess. Again thanks to the other 'mechanic shop' I been running on bamboo used rear hubs, that have metal scrapes inside, which were supposed to be new for over a year.

So I am considering the idea of converting my rear brake drums to calipers. I own a Y11 Wingroad with big headlights.
What kind of cost is involved? What parts do I get? What are the benefits?

What parts do I get? What are the benefits?

I also have rear drums and after purchasing brand new drums they seem to work just as when the vehicle was new with manual adjustment every 3 months or so(known problem with my type of vehicle).

However for the Y11, you have the option of purchasing a Y10 Banjo with factory disc brakes which bolt on the Y11.
Primera P11 rear discs also work on the Y11 Banjo if you build a bracket for the P11 caliper relocation.

People often say that front brakes are what requires upgrades etc, my experience has been rear brakes are also very important for overall stopping power but should you really desire increased stopping power your best bet would be a big brake conversion of the fronts.

Hope that helps you.

Last edited:
from what i gathered he saying is that he want to get rid of the drums on the whole and go disk......but i think the better upgrade is what nirtime suggested with the big brake conversion

from what i gathered he saying is that he want to get rid of the drums on the whole and go disk......but i think the better upgrade is what nirtime suggested with the big brake conversion

I understood that as well but unless he has issues with his drums such as availability or necessary manual adjustment I don't see any real benefit from doing a swap.

Rear discs is a nice upgrade. However, unless it is more or less stock, there are no braking performance enhancements to be reaped.
A big brake upgrade will offer performance benefits. I am not sure which brakes he would be able to use though.

Well I not doing the conversion for the performance enhancement, but due to the cost of maintenance.

Is ever since I had to change the whole banjo after the original one that came with car broke (yes, BROKE) I have had issues with the replacement, mainly hollow sounding noise. Them REV Tech scamps say they change stuff but the issues was never fixed.

Maybe I need another banjo altogether.

Cool.
I myself gonna be doing this conversion as my rear hubs start leaking brake fluid. Instead of buying another pair of back hubs I will get the rear disc.

So I am reviving this thread as I am PISSED.

To quickly overview what has happened since:

July 2015:
Completely replace rear drums, shoes, even springs and and rear cylinder, and the drum was so badly worn, it made a huge lip which gave my mechanic HELL to take off drum,

The parts were researched and bought on Amazon. just $1000 landed for two brand new drums.

November 2015
Had my rear brakes adjusted a few months later and hand brake tightened. Two clicks. After a week it was 5 clicks and after a month, back to normal.

Through all of that: if I mash brakes suddenly (even moderately) , my rear tires lock first. In fact, that been the case since I had to replace spindle 3 or 4 years ago.

YESTERDAY:

In doing routine alignment, I ask the guys to check rear brakes. I blew a blood vessel when I saw my left side drum lipped after JUST EIGHT MONTHS. one shoe already wornalmost to metal. I have 2 months at BEST on it.

I want calipers. NOW. I done with drums. I wanna flilng the entire spindle in the sea!

I hear you can get entire Y11 rear spindle with calipers, If you know where to get and the cost, (IT MUST HAVE ABS) let me know asap.

Hey Saxman, I was told P11 Spindles would work on the Y11 as well. I'm currently having someone give me info to relay to you. I will post here within 1-2 days when I get the info and see how best we can help you out.

Hey Saxman, I was told P11 Spindles would work on the Y11 as well. I'm currently having someone give me info to relay to you. I will post here within 1-2 days when I get the info and see how best we can help you out.

Much Thanks. I have a guy working on it for me as well. Time to end this nonsense once and for all!

Alright the verdict:

P11 spindles should offer you rear disc brakes while being a bolt on conversion. A good source that has these is Anil Sooknanan on Facebook. You should be able to get a set or more info from him.

Alright the verdict:

P11 spindles should offer you rear disc brakes while being a bolt on conversion. A good source that has these is Anil Sooknanan on Facebook. You should be able to get a set or more info from him.

I've dealt with him before. Actually, I know exactly where he lives. I will await word from my own contact before I talk to Anil.

I've dealt with him before. Actually, I know exactly where he lives. I will await word from my own contact before I talk to Anil.

No problem, do post here when you make your decision so we can always look back for future reference!

Back