CNG Conversion

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

LadyDeath

Senior Marketing Officer
Staff member
LV

What's You stance on CNG in our country.. Do you think it should be implemented on a wider scale and lessen the price of conversion kits to the public as we are a oil/gas producing country??

CNG which stands for compressed natural gas is reportedly a cleaner alternative and more efficient to LNG- liquefied natural gas that we all use in our vehicles. It is very expensive to operate and takes longer to fill an average vehicle gas tank.

The Environmentally Clean Advantage Compressed natural gas is the cleanest burning fuel operating today. This means less vehicle maintenance and longer engine life.

CNG vehicles produce the fewest emissions of any motor fuel.

Dedicated Natural Gas Vehicles (NGV) have little or no emissions during fueling. In gasoline vehicles, fueling emissions account for at least 50% of a vehicle's total hydrocarbon emissions.

CNG produces significantly less pollutants than gasoline.

Tailpipe emissions from gasoline operated cars release carbon dioxide, which contributes to global warming. This is greatly reduced with natural gas.

The Maintenance Advantage Some fleet operators have reduced maintenance costs by as much as 40% by converting their vehicles to CNG.

Intervals between tune-ups for natural gas vehicles are extended 30,000 to 50,000 miles.
Intervals between oil changes for natural gas vehicles are dramatically extended--anywhere from 10,000 to 25,000 additional miles depending on how the vehicle is used.

Natural gas does not react to metals the way gasoline does, so pipes and mufflers last much longer.

The Performance Advantage Natural gas gives the same mileage as gasoline in a converted vehicle.

Dedicated CNG engines are superior in performance to gasoline engines.

CNG has an octane rating of 130 and has a slight efficiency advantage over gasoline.

Because CNG is already in a gaseous state, NGVs have superior starting and driveability, even under severe hot and cold weather conditions.

NGVs experience less knocking and no vapor locking

I would like to buy a CNG ki t for my car but paying 9 -15 thousand for a kit is way too much for me. The government should seek to subsidize the CNG kit so it would be more affordable to the latter public.

As I see it, every technology that strives to eliminate the heavy dependence on oil and gas company for gasoline, diesel and other harmful fuels seems to be made expensive to the point of being inaccessible by the general public.

I don't understand the government and their logics, they removed the subsidy from premium gas and left diesel intact fully knowing that its the largest subsidize fuel. They are convincing people to convert to CNG but there nearly any media ads on this. If they inform the latter public about the benefits and put a subsidize price on the CNG kit maybe more people will convert.

to be very honest , a diesel conversion costs less than the CNG conversion, its overall cheaper, i have an uncle who had a CNG datsun 280C car, and it ran very well as he used it as a taxi car, but his major problem was filling stations, and the fact that he couldnt get over any steep slope, so in the end , he converted the car to diesel, and he never really regretted it!

The government of Trinidad wants to convert some cars to CNG ...I think, yes it will be cheaper to buy the Gas however, they need to lower their expensive price of the kits ..That too expensive!

Yes they really do need to lower the price of the kits if we are to progress with cng coversion!

How does CNG work with high compression Engines, i need to knock out some rumors. A person told me that CNG will make your vehicle under perform, performance wise especially High compression engines.

It does decrease performance for economy. From what I gather, the detonation of CNG is not as explosive as that of regular gasoline.

That's what I know, but it sort of evens out the cost and the performance. Some people prefer the best performance where others rather sacrifice it for fuel economy.

Back in the day, i worked with a guy who had a corolla like mine fitted with a CNG conversion. As far a mileage is concerned, he used $5 round trip from penal to mt hope. Performance wise his car couldn't pass an old Bedford truck and topped out at the speed limit. Highway driving was a chore obviously. Leaves me with more of a reliance on diesel power or super for daily use. Unless we can modify gear ratios that allow for speed in CNG cars, its not a personal option for me. At least not now

quite a detailed and educational video! :cool:

[youtube:3va1lnwg]QYP2ZRwq9EE[/youtube:3va1lnwg]

Good post on CNG there are a lot of benefits to conversion. The disadvantage as most peeps mention here is the cost of conversion. The fact is that no matter how much the government subsidize the cost of installation a lot of people will think why should I convert my perfectly good gas burning car to CNG? It also takes up a lot of storage space and the easy access to refills. I like the idea of conversion to diesel instead. Soon all the gas subsidies will be gone and we will have to make some expensive decisions. Their is also the option of getting an electric car and forget about fluids altogether.

That's actually very true Tony! I'm currently working on a fully powered solar car model that utilizes diesel power and solar energy to run the car at maximum efficiency!

Currently had a prototype that's working on solar power only and it worked pretty well, still have some bugs to work out and design to settle on... But it's a work in progress, alongside my many other projects lol

No doubt CNG is lesser in price than the Gasoline but engine works well with Gasoline but not with CNG. So i prefer Gasoline for my vehicles.Its good.

Back