Campaign 2010: The ugly side

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

San fernando

LV

link http://guardian.co.tt/commentary/column ... -ugly-side

Campaign 2010: The ugly side
Clevon Raphael
Published: 19 May 2010
Clevon Raphael
Judgment day is just five days away. By this time next week a new government should be in place and all election activities would have abated with the country well on the way to breathing once again.

Today we are looking at some aspects of the campaign, the savoury and the unsavoury, so far. On top of the list, I am afraid, is the race card which, unfortunately, is playing out particularly in one party, even though there are some who would say this ugly phenomenon is being abused by all the parties. I beg to disagree and the offending people know who exactly they are. All you racist politicians who are proud of sowing your politics of hate and fear, you may try as you might but racist tendencies would never triumph over the love that we all have for our country. The racial bogey was somewhat tackled head-on after the 1986 NAR victory but unfortunately the experience did not go the full course and today we still have to contend with those of that ilk peddling their sick minds among the population. Thank God they are in the minority, although one racist is one too many.

It is pathetic to hear otherwise bright Trinis—one assumes they are—saying they cannot vote for this or that candidate because of their ethnic origin. I respect anyone who says they are unable to give their franchise to a particular party because they do not like its policies and things of the kind. However, I have been literally chasing away those who come to me with tribal crap because I firmly believe that we as a people are on the way to doing away with racial voting and to push that doltish head in 2010 is hypocritical and retrogressive. The results of the May 24 exercise would show how far we are really on the road to eliminating naked tribalism on voting day. Another aspect of the campaign I find very distasteful are the personal insults being hurled at various candidates by their opposite numbers. It is indeed silly and unproductive for supposedly intelligent men and women who are begging us to put them as leaders of the nation to be engaged in such unbelievable verbal abuse simply because they do not belong to the same political party.

Again this particular party started this unpleasant trend and, although not on the same degree, the favour was returned by platform speakers of the other major party. What does some woman allegedly trying look like the wife of the American President have to do with providing us with good governance for the next five years and beyond? How does describing one candidate with links to a rodent contribute to providing citizens with amenities and facilities we all expect from a government? Picong is a normal part of politicking and is good fare on the campaign trail but there are limits that decent people who are setting up themselves as potential leaders should go in their quest for high public office. Much ado has been made by the PNMites of the tearing up of their manifesto, which to me was another attempt by that party to divert attention, no matter how limited, from the real campaign issues. One of them went so far as to say it would encourage disrespect among the citizenry for authority. As if to say the attacks could be more ridiculous, another ventured that Kamla’s action could also influence people to commit acts of violence. Tut tut...

On Sunday night we were treated to an interview with the Prime Minister and although I have certain thoughts about that event, I would keep them private from the standpoint of being a journalist myself. However, one response by Mr Manning cannot be left unchallenged, which is when he said the initials “PM” on the drawings of the controversial Heights of Guanapo church could mean “project manager.” Manning is no architect or anywhere near other professions associated with the construction industry. But as someone intimately involved in the vast expenditure of state funds on mega construction projects, the Prime Minister by now should be familiar with at least some of the elementary terms in the sector. Additionally, he should know that a project manger only comes on the scene after a contract has been signed. I am not saying the Prime Minister told a blatant lie when he said “PM” could have meant project manger but one thing is definitely certain: we haven’t by any stretch of the imagination heard the last of this controversial church-building project.

At this time it is reasonable to assume that most voters have already made up their minds and are just waiting on next Monday to perform their civic duty. I am in that group and I am urging all who enjoy that privilege not to take their duty lightly. If you are going to vote on sentimentality or any other such vacuous reasons you might as well forget it. Voting is serious business and we must carefully weigh all the options given on the campaign trail and the news media to make intelligent choices.
The country’s future is at stake.

As of today..there is a poll on the Guardian asking.."Do you think there would be violence on election day at the polls ?? "..I am leaning towards no but yuh never know yes

This article is very well written. i couldn't agree more with the writer. As for whether or not there would be violence on election day; i would say no. my two cents.

Saturday express had where Some PNM Supporters Threw Water On Jack Warner when they stopped him and rolled down his glass to talk to them

People so rude and have no class in this country regardless of which party you support you don't have to do those kinda of things to people.

Those people
David E Bratt MD
Published: 18 May 2010
David E Bratt MD

Overheard in the Four Roads Hi-Lo supermarket last week: “Boy, yuh make up yuh mind yet? Make sure yuh vote for we or dey go send we back to Africa.” The speaker was an elderly pensioner talking to another.

This election was always about race. Even if scientists say there is no such thing, anecdotes trump research any time. I had intended to repeat the litany of woes about the present Manning administration: lack of governance; the hundreds of millions wasted on grand-charging at summits; empty skyscrapers; kidnappings which the Government thinks is a joke; The failure to stop the 3,000 murders and the unspoken fear that the ruling party was part of it through its dealings with “community leaders;” Cepep; Udecott and the Uff Commission of Enquiry; Calder Hart and his unbelievable closeness to the Prime Minister; perjury allegations that have gone nowhere; Rowley’s accusations and flip flop;

Political interference with the appointments of the Commissioner of Police and the Director of Public Prosecution; the illegal coat-of-arms on the PM’s car; the condition of President’s House; the Integrity Commission debacles; the indecent dependency on foreign consultants and Chinese workers; candalous procurement processes; The hasty attempts to arrest a Chief Justice on a Friday afternoon; discrimination against the Maha Sabha in granting a FM radio broadcasting licence; the emasculation of the EMA; the illegal rally in Woodford Square under police protection whilst a motion against the Government was being debated across the street; the $2 million flag; the abandoned hospitals and health centres; The 30 per cent SEA failures year after year with no one knowing why; the lack of diversification of the economy whilst inviting foreign companies to exploit gas and oil under conditions unknown to most of the population; the squandering of oil and gas money for a second time, $300 billion gone; the deal with Abu Bakr prior to the 2002 election, as outlined by the Privy Council;

The inefficient Licensing Offices, District Revenue Offices, courts, Passport Office and ministries; the traffic; the enormity of corruption within the state-owned special purpose entities; the Tarouba stadium; the scholarship scandal involving the Ministry of Culture; NAPA; the Scarborough Hospital; the state-of-the-art radar that does not work; the three blimps; the fast-speed radar boats and the attack helicopters; the destruction of the Grand Stand and a large part of the Savannah; The crippling of the calypso tents; the ICC Cricket World Cup “brown bag“ fiasco; the desalination plants; the wonderful smelters; the berm at Beetham; a Minister of Finance and author of a book on ethics who did not understand the meaning of “fixed deposit;” Clico; The property tax; the “palace;” the bacchanal surrounding the Guanapo church and the threats to reporters investigating it; the blatant attempts to give the Government control over the judiciary as outlined by the present Chief Justice; The constitutional draft, written by unknowns, that would make the PM an “executive president” with control over everything, a la Burnham; the incom- prehensible security details and blaring sirens that we have had to tolerate in an island the size of a large American city; the surprise visit to the radio station; the insulting entrance into Mr Villafana’s property; the prophetess and the intrusion of religion into what is supposed to be a secular state.

Above all, the “gimme gimme dependency syndrome” the PNM has encouraged amongst its supporters and the pandering to the lowest common denominator, ie, race. Race equals group prejudice equals group politics in T&T. This sense of group functions along two important levels. One level involves the obvious dimension of domination, of hierarchical ordering and positioning as typified by the political cry: “Trinidad is PNM country.” A second critical level, however, involves a dimension of exclusion and inclusion, of socio-emotional embrace and rejection. “We culture.” This exclusion and inclusion dimension, again, invokes an emotional basis to the sense of group. Listen to the radio talk shows and hear the various tribes talk about “those people!” Race prejudice is a protective device. It functions, however shortsightedly, to preserve the integrity and the position of the dominant group, even if there is corruption, incompetence and lack of integrity.

It is race that is behind the commess that is going on in T&T, the tacit understanding that it is all gobar but that it is our gobar so it is all right. The righteous concerns within the PNM apparently have given in. That must change. Politics in T&T is a politics waiting to be broken. Until we recognise this, until we move away from race as the defining feature of our politics, we will struggle. The island is too small. From my reading of the issues, it is the present PNM party, molded in the image of one man, that is holding most to race. They have failed us. It is the coalition of parties that offers the best hope of escape from the politics of race. They may fail again but there is no alternative. I will support the People’s Partnership coalition next Monday http://guardian.co.tt/commentary/column ... ose-people

I am seeing alot racial insults being pelted between blacks and indians on facebook..and I am reading on sites where posters are saying indo trinis are proclaiming "its we time now"..I am yet to experience it but if it is true then that is sad..

People taking this election thing to far, stop the violence after elections who ever wins we have to start back our life, not every day is a party

admin said:
People taking this election thing to far, stop the violence after elections who ever wins we have to start back our life, not every day is a party

Man admin I read this comment on a popular Trini site few mins ago...I hope this is not true and not what this man experienced..

As i said.....de race element sickening. From both sides. But a wrong ting is a wrong ting. And i dunno if its cuz my major composition is of one particular ethnic group means i perceive things that may be against that group better. But i do know dat irregardless of who does it...it wrong.

My brethrin pull me in a talk...talking bout issues of racism dat he experienced...how he was in a maxi..and a drunk indian man saying..."Nex week i go spit on every nigger i see!" and how because he believe indian people inherently racial..he doh like dem..so he racial with dem. And i told him dah kinda rationale doh make sense cuz is de same dotishness dat does perpetuate de nonsense...and if he find is rel shit dem thinking like that.....it go be shit for him to think so. After rel debate..he agreed....grudgingly.

My nex brethrin telling me bout dis woman who walked into the ministry of legal affairs office and shouted to all the persons of african descent "ALLYUH TIME UP!! IS WE TIME NOW!!!". How yuh supposed to feel with that?

Or....a man i go to class with...who i cool with.....who i does do group work with.....who's the vice president of an organization for students that i am president of commenting on a video on facebook after a another classmate with these words:

"Allyuh f**kin niggers too dotish! Manning still have allyuh in f**kin chains! All allyuh does f**king do is distress people!"

This is a very sad day in the country, Even if this is so i do also see alot of facebook this same kinda of behavior towards Indians, also to Africans.

What i don't get is we are nether Africans nor Indians we are Trinidadians, Our nationality suppose to be the country we are born in so why do we class our selves with this indo and afro crap. We are born trinidadians

admin said:
This is a very sad day in the country, Even if this is so i do also see alot of facebook this same kinda of behavior towards Indians, also to Africans.

What i don't get is we are nether Africans nor Indians we are Trinidadians, Our nationality suppose to be the country we are born in so why do we class our selves with this indo and afro crap. We are born trinidadians

I dunno and dont think it will change anytime soon.. I feel like Trinidad about to explode come May 25th..

sometimes i wonder why the journalists never ask the politicians how they feel about their supporters taking it to level or racism ..I will be interested to hear what some of our politicians have to say..

well it's true about the racist talk an race taking over the electors mind when making their decision to vote... but again people need to vote for what d party as a whole an what they people put in place has done for them and not what race the leader belong.. but for me i don't see d PNM vital an i am ready for a change cause manning as i have seen is a dictator...

Like I have said before in other posts; "race" is the last "trump" card that these politicians hold in thier hands. They, and the older generation supporters cling to the race politics because its all they have. The youths of today, being more educated than their parents in the arena of "issues", judge political candidates by just that. The issues! Not who's Indian, African, Syrian etc. Come to think of it we are for all intents and purposes, TRINIDADIANS with "indian or african" heritage. We ARE NOT Africans or Indians. So really the race issue is f&*kery for want of a better term. It disgusts me to the fullest to see the blatant lack of class from both camps during the election campaigns. The mud-slinging, back biting, name-calling, childish, a$$hole-ness of so-called educated people who want to be called leaders in our nations. i can't express enough how sick and disgusted I am on that matter.

Back