BEWARE: Crime In Trinidad

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!
Honestly the piper walking the street might be less of a danger than the fella pretending to read a book of no interest at the library.

Well now you gone and say library. I never pay attention to people in the library. I could very well be robbed next time I go and never be able to identify the person lol

That's why

1. Trust no one ..not even family
2. Crime has no place ..it can happen in your own home or local place of worship
3. Crime has no time ..
4. Crime has no race ..down to the punjabi man by the road side can rob you
5. Crime has no age - Little youths committing crime against big people
6. Crime has no gender - Male/female criminals
7. Crime has no face - Pretty, good looking , ugly ..you name it ! Anybody can hurt you!
8. Crime has no dress - The white man in the tailored suit can kill you

I always remember these 8 points. CRIME is real and can happen to anyone. I have learnt countless times and for those who have never experience crime will never understand and feel what it mentally/emotionally does to a person for life. Crime in Trinidad is out of hand and we citizens need to take things into our own hands now!

Those are very good points to hold in mind when dealing with people on a daily basis.

@nirtime: Until I can afford all the books in the world, the library is my haven. Must have all the books!!!

@LadyDeath: I think self defense should be mandatory in schools and incorporated into P.E. Classes for all ages should be widely available and easily accessible. I never learned self defense officially, but a self defense tactic from a movie I saw once at the time saved my life once. It is too easy for criminals to target people and attack when they're ready. We may be wrong to go after them with equal speed when they're done but we should at least be able to defend ourselves in such moments.

Criminals have become fearless nowadays as they are taking their actions to facebook with all their legal names, addresses and phone numbers. They have become too open.

Only the wise person takes a stance against criminals be it in the form of next level car security, combat skills or otherwise.

It's like criminals depend on the corruption in the system to get away with their crimes when we cannot depend on the system to protect and defend ourselves. Why hide their faces etc. when they're depending on the likelihood of not being sought after and caught? Just now they'll be doing their deals in front police stations etc. with lawyers and the like patting them on the back right there. I wouldn't doubt it happens already to some extent though.

I remember a drug dealer being caught when I was in school, he was about 12-14 years old and was a student everyone knew. Everyone was very shocked that he was caught and the principal revealed his name etc. (not shocked that he was a dealer lol) but there were many more popular young criminal youths that were left unscathed. Possibly because at least one or two teachers were linking with them. It was only a matter of time before such things came to social media TBH.

I also agree with the Self Defense.
I was sent to Purple Dragon Karate Class at an early age, however, i dropped out when S.E.A season began for me and never went back. I was a yellow belt too .

However, the criminals in the making would be taught too smh .

That's true and presents itself as a bit of a moral dilemma. I think it would still be worthwhile as the innocent or possible victims may outnumber the possible criminals and lives can be saved this way.

That's true and presents itself as a bit of a moral dilemma. I think it would still be worthwhile as the innocent or possible victims may outnumber the possible criminals and lives can be saved this way.

Nobody really does anything to help situations. They will look at another get beaten on the street and take out their phone and record for Facebook faster than actually call the police or stop the beating. I've resigned myself to the fact that being in public is a false sense of security and that parking near security is a false sense of safety.

If you've ever read up on vehicle theft in South Africa you'd understand why I feel like that. In broad daylight, at the very entrance to a shopping mall people lose their vehicles to thieves bending their bonnets and destroying various other parts of the vehicles and then forcing entry to the inside. All the while tons and tons of people are walking and seeing what's going on. It became evident to me that the same thing applies here and pretty much most other places. It takes a truly different human being to do anything when they see an avoidable situation these days.

It was actually normal for thieves to point guns at the vehicle owners when they would attempt to stop the thieves. Even with security present and lots of people walking.

Last edited:
Nobody really does anything to help situations. They will look at another get beaten on the street and take out their phone and record for Facebook faster than actually call the police or stop the beating. I've resigned myself to the fact that being in public is a false sense of security and that parking near security is a false sense of safety.

If you've ever read up on vehicle theft in South Africa you'd understand why I feel like that. In broad daylight, at the very entrance to a shopping mall people lose their vehicles to thieves bending their bonnets and destroying various other parts of the vehicles and then forcing entry to the inside. All the while tons and tons of people are walking and seeing what's going on. It became evident to me that the same thing applies here and pretty much most other places. It takes a truly different human being to do anything when they see an avoidable situation these days.

It was actually normal for thieves to point guns at the vehicle owners when they would attempt to stop the thieves. Even with security present and lots of people walking.

Man right here in Trinidad I was almost assaulted by someone more than twice my size in an area filled with activity and noise from men and young boys. What did they all do (every. single. one.) when they saw an ogre of a man leering over and ready to strike a woman with an infant in her arms? Dead serious, every single one hightailed it to a corner underneath some trees. Some stood around, some sat on chairs, some sat on the floor, some pulled out phones to fiddle with. Dead silence from them. Not a single word was uttered, not a single person so much as moved in my direction. Eventually they all turned their backs. BRAVO Trinidad. I'm not even talking about defending a woman or infant. I'm saying this is what people do when they see any PERSON in danger. Pull to the side, stay quiet, and turn your flicking backs. Don't get me started on being a woman and going to the flipping police for such matters.

Yes this is the problem, either people are too much thinking about themselves or they don't recognize what a crowd can do.

Most people will not be concerned about crime at all until it hits them or someone they care about. We live in a society full of "not my problem" and "not my job". Thankfully there are folks out there trying hard to make a positive difference, but they are the minority.

Most people will not be concerned about crime at all until it hits them or someone they care about. We live in a society full of "not my problem" and "not my job". Thankfully there are folks out there trying hard to make a positive difference, but they are the minority.

This! A lot of people walk the earth saying oh this will never happen to me, etc... The reality is you can never know when something will or will not happen to you. You can try to protect yourself but with the way I see people carrying on sometimes, I wonder if they understand how it feels to be a victim.

There are a lot of good people left, its just that they are constantly badgered and overshadowed by the "not my problem" "not my job" "I don't care" type.

I'm still trying to understand my own people and the more i try its the more confused I get daily.

This! A lot of people walk the earth saying oh this will never happen to me, etc... The reality is you can never know when something will or will not happen to you. You can try to protect yourself but with the way I see people carrying on sometimes, I wonder if they understand how it feels to be a victim.

There are a lot of good people left, its just that they are constantly badgered and overshadowed by the "not my problem" "not my job" "I don't care" type.

I'm still trying to understand my own people and the more i try its the more confused I get daily.

I've met people that were famous for "he/she look for that!" statements about crime victims. When people they were close to were targeted by criminals, it quickly changed to "How they go do that? Why criminals so for? Why nobody doh do something?" etc. and when the hypocrisy was brought to light, it was basically "he/she look for that but not my friend/family Leh dem go for who they want, but not my friend/family!!" Idk what kinda progress we're supposed to make as a society when this is a very popular mindset. At least they can muster up some care for someone other than themselves, which is good, but any life affected by crime should matter, whether we know or like them or not. This "me and mine" thing will not get us very far.

I've met people that were famous for "he/she look for that!" statements about crime victims. When people they were close to were targeted by criminals, it quickly changed to "How they go do that? Why criminals so for? Why nobody doh do something?" etc. and when the hypocrisy was brought to light, it was basically "he/she look for that but not my friend/family Leh dem go for who they want, but not my friend/family!!" Idk what kinda progress we're supposed to make as a society when this is a very popular mindset. At least they can muster up some care for someone other than themselves, which is good, but any life affected by crime should matter, whether we know or like them or not. This "me and mine" thing will not get us very far.

We already see it's not going very far. Just look at how people behave behind counters these days when you go to buy something. its like everyone is at war with themselves and while they fight and fall apart for not caring, criminals will continue to take feast until it is time for change.

Back