ATI RADEON 5870: Fastest DX11 Single core GPU!

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

Wyspa

LV

Now spicians, I don't know how much off you all into graphics cards but ATI ( the gpu devision of AMD) has launched the all new beast of a card called the Radeon 5870. This is the fastest single-core gpu on the market in the world as of launch. I'm not really an ATI fella but I (I roll with Nvidia right tru) have to give jack his jacket. ATI came very good this round. Ever since the company launched the Radeon 4800 series graphics cards they've been on a roll. Now i am not too familiar with the intricate technical details of the card, but what I can say is that this card can handle anything...i mean ANYTHING you can throw at it. For a card with that much horse-power under the hood, it only draws 188watts of power when running at maximum. It also supports ATI's "Eyefinity" technology that allows the card to be connected to 6 monitors simultaneously. Without breaking a sweat. And its also the first DirectX 11.0 card on the market. For those of you who aren't familiar with Microsoft DirectX read here: Microsoft DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) for handling tasks related to multimedia, especially game programming and video, on Microsoft platforms.
in a nutshell its a set of micro-code that's used to program multimedia on the Windows OS. So all the nice shiny high def games on Windows PCs are created using the DirectX API.
DirectX 11.0 comes with the all new popular Windows 7 OS. Windows Vista will also be supporting the new API.

For a very detailed look at the card and what it is capable of, follow the link for the review: http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5870-review-test/

This card sold out mad quick. I want one lol. The x2 version of this card gonna be insanely fast, nvidia have to make a come back. :p

The x2 gonna be sick, but the priceis gonna be even sicker..lol But with ATI's reputation, the X2 version is gonna be completely held back becaus of dodgy Catalyst drivers. ATI makes great cards, but their supporting drivers are less than stellar.

haha i didnt know all that about the drivers, lolz. my friend has the 4870 and that card is good max settings most new games.its like really cheap 140. lol . i like nvidia cuz of cuda, i encode vids like if im running a quad core and physx. Ati should really get physx on there cards then it would be sweet.

brbk4498 said:
haha i didnt know all that about the drivers, lolz. my friend has the 4870 and that card is good max settings most new games.its like really cheap 140. lol . i like nvidia cuz of cuda, i encode vids like if im running a quad core and physx. Ati should really get physx on there cards then it would be sweet.

u dont have to SLI or crossfire to get to run physx???...i dont know of any card that can run it at full potential stand alone....btw...i'd advise all who thinking bout going ATI to go sapphire for superior quality...visiontek and dem other brands good too but sapphire is KNOWS for making great ATI cards :wink:

casper said:
wispa...how would u rate this card compared to a 4870 x 2???
This card would give the 4870x2 a run for its money. It may even blow the 4870x2 out the water in some instances. You may have to goolge it to find out though. I'm just speculating.

wispa...i ended up getting a gtx 260....it was between that and the ati 4870 but i saw reviews of the gtx pwning the ati....so went with that....its the biggest and most powerful card i could accommodate in my tower without upgrading my PSU....i have a coolermaster 550w extreme power plus...

For any of you who are running an ati,could you tell me if there are any scaling options in the display wizard.I need to find that setting cause when I play games they don't go widescreen.

i have an radion ati chip on my laptop, if you got to their website their is a program called catilist or something like that, that is what you can use to change the options for the graphics card

Yea I have an ati on my laptop as well used to show games widescreen,but for some reason since I upgraded to windows 7 all the games don't take up the full screen there's just two black areas at the side,an I can't find those settings in the catilist program.

cool3ni said:
Yea I have an ati on my laptop as well used to show games widescreen,but for some reason since I upgraded to windows 7 all the games don't take up the full screen there's just two black areas at the side,an I can't find those settings in the catilist program.

that happened to mine too when putting windows 7...u hadda go change the resolution in the game itself....to a higher resolution. :wink:

casper said:
cool3ni said:

that happened to mine too when putting windows 7...u hadda go change the resolution in the game itself....to a higher resolution. :wink:
It only seems to go full screen if I can get the game to a resolution of 1280 by 720,anything under that then it not full screen,and sadly of the few games of I have,they go up to 800 by 600 res.

cool3ni said:
casper said:
cool3ni said:

It only seems to go full screen if I can get the game to a resolution of 1280 by 720,anything under that then it not full screen,and sadly of the few games of I have,they go up to 800 by 600 res.
What kinda of games you running? Just about any game that came out in the late 90's to present can support higher resolutions than 800x600.

Well like I said don't got much games on the laptop,most of them are on the desktop,but I mostly nearly all of the need for speed series up to carbon,an carbon being the latest in the series i have has a res of up to 1024 by 768,which is still to low to go full screen atleast.Gues I'll have to wait an see if ati and Microsoft can sort this out,if other people running ati with windows 7 having this problem as well.

Nope, I most definitely do not have this problem. I played all those games on my Win7 machine and never encountered such a prob. Then again I running Nvidia!

Wispa65 said:
Nope, I most definitely do not have this problem. I played all those games on my Win7 machine and never encountered such a prob. Then again I running Nvidia!
Saw the graphics interface program for nvidia,looks way better and has better options than this catillist thing ati users get.

Back