70 chinese workers arrested

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

RauCous

LV

Code:
 http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,109105.html
The contractor Government hired not paying their workers! Why the goverment cant get contractors who just do their jobs and get out. The local ones prolong the work and waste money.. the chinese workers more efficient but dont get paid well. Wtf. Now we're looking bad cleaning up the contractors mess. Should've suspected that cheap labour had it's downfall. Just like that Udecott thing we doing business with all the wrong people.. and it end up innocent people like the workers and the public who get screwed.

Reason why their so be penalization for those contractors who don't finish on time in America the do this, Trinidad too forgiving

whoever brought down the chinese to work down here iz evil ppl...they gettin like bout $4.75 per hour or somn...and they doin much more work than the locals...

I taught those days were over we still have slavery going on here, and they don't even want to pay the people what the hell. THis is not the first time i have been hearing about something like this its like a few times now

^^^exactly...you used the correct word there...SLAVERY!!!!

ppl that supported this should be charged...treating the chinese like that is inhumane

Why is Trinidad endorsing these kinda of activities, i feel is only Trinidad does allow these kinda of slackness to happen in a country you ever see anything of this happening in other countries

^^^nah boi ...doh say that nah...slavery is still happening all over the world whether we like it or not

not only trinidad...we are actually doing what we see on tv...

Well saw this article in the dailys today. But de Newsday saying 70 workers, but the Express saying 85. Anyways, its really sad to hear this. In the Express, it was reported that the workers claim that they are owed two months pay which amounted to 30,000 yen or TT$22,000 each, also they have to live in deplorable conditions.What madness is that? I fully suppor them in their right to be treated as human beings. With respect and dignity. The living quarters are really 20" foot containers. On the issure of money owed to them, I find it hard to swallow. TT$22,000.00 for two months works out to TT$11,000 a month. I know they work hard and round the clock, but if what they claim is correct then, I leaving my job in de morning and going and do chinese contruction. I believe this figure is exaggerated. I'm sure they work in shifts, so one worker's salary for a month would not be that amount. Anyways the contracting firm denies that the workers are owed any salary for two months. They (the company) have stated that money was kept in a deposit for the workers to discourage workers from not completing their working contracts. So at the end of a work contract they were paid their money. The company is prematurely terminating contracts of the protesting workers thus nullifying their deposits. So that mean that they return to their respective countries empty handed. What a shame.

how much exactly they getting???...cuz on our forum i see the ppl in there saying that they are owed $2300 TT each for the 2 months they didnt get paid....so that $1150 per month which comes up to roughly about $4.75 per hour....isnt minimum wage sposed to be $10 per hr?

chinese workers who were buildin marabella junior sec got $200. 00 tt a mth and d rest of salary was sent bk to their families. food and other supplies was given to them, but most of them was very educated coz dey used to come an play basketball in school after work an we got to kno dem, very polite an hard workin individuals, shame on d contractors,

You see they're locking up the chinese workers! Isn't that false imprisonment. It carries the same sentence as kidnapping.. What kinda mess Trinidad getting into.
Code:
 http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,109376.html

It is appalling that local and international labour laws are being violated by the Government in order to practise modern day slavery. If the PNM regime can go this far as to set up near-concentration camps for Chinese workers, how long will it ...take for them to treat their own citizens the same way?

According to the International Human Rights standards and the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA), once workers are here the law applies to them. The Minister said he investigated all of them and found no substance to our complaints which is so not true. But the Ministry of Labour and Small and Micro Enterprise Development and OSHA said they have been meeting with the Beijing Liujian Construction Corporation of China and the affected workers with a view to resolving the issues between the company and its individually contracted workers.
Hope all this clear up soon for the betterment of the people and our country.

Beijing Liujian Construction Corporation TT Limited (BLCC) has already sent several Chinese labourers back to China and before the end of the week majority of them are expected to return to their homeland. A total of 120 workers will be sent to China while BLCC is expected to replace them after applications for work permits for new immigrants are granted from the Ministry of National Security.
Work was boycotted by some 70 Chinese labourers employed at the construction sites of Aranjuez Government and Five Rivers Government Secondary Schools on October 13, they were arrested outside the Chinese Embassy in Port-of-Spain on that day.

They real strick.... you complain you get sent home....

Back