What Does It Mean to Back Up your Mobile Device?

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

nirtime

LV

Surely you must have heard the term Back Up your files at some point in your life. As technology grows and becomes a more integral part of our lives, its reliability is sometimes put to the test. Backing up means to keep a copy of your important data in another safe place so that in the event of any mishaps or device swaps you aren't left without your precious moments or important work related documents and contacts.

I decided to write this thread after losing over 100 photos from a Galaxy S4 today. The S4 has randomly deleted photos in the past but nothing like it did today. Two major folders of precious moments, gone, disappeared. If you search on Google you will find numerous cases of people losing data because they did not back up their stuff. Remember prevention is better than cure. Deleted or lost files can't always be recovered. But thats another topic for another day.

There are number of ways you can back up your files, the method you choose depends on what your preference is and the device in question.

1. Backing up content from mobile devices(phones, tablets, camera, etc...) using a USB Cable and a Computer
There are several ways to do this:
-Android phones: The easiest way to backup content from an Android phone is to use the MTP USB Mode and copy the folders with the content you want to backup to a safe place such as the hard drive of the computer or a flash drive. There are other ways to do it using the device specific software but I will not get into that. For instance, Androids store camera photos in the DCIM Folder and if you want to backup contacts most Androids will let you export contacts as .csv which can be stored on your hard drive as well.

-iOS:iTunes is the easiest way to backup an iOS device. I have personally used this method without fail in the past. I recommend it for non-jailbroken devices. If you are jailbroken there are other ways to do it. However, you can use third party software to extract specific music tracks or photos from your iOS device by using CopyTrans Manager.

-Windows Phone: In my day Windows Phone was tied to Zune by Microsoft and the only way to get files off via a usb cable and a computer was to allow Zune to backup data.

-Blackberries also follow the Android method or you can use Blackberry Desktop Manager.

**Android can also be backed up by using an OTG Cable and plugging in a USB FLash Drive into supported devices.

Back ups can be made through the cloud:
Dropbox, Skydrive, Google Drive, they all do the same thing. You can store your pictures, music, contacts in the cloud. Mobile devices will allow you to automatically backup your photos by using the cloud service's app. Android phones usually come preloaded with "Photos" which has options for automatic sync between your device and the "Google Cloud".

Syncing with Dropbox is one of the most common ways of backing up data automatically from mobile devices. By installing the DropBox app you have the options witihn the app to automatically sync your pictures with your Dropbox cloud storage.

Though SkyDrive is now formally known as One Drive, it is the least heard off method of storage in my experience.

*All clouds give you the option to manually store what you want within the alloted size. I have personally used the Cloud as a form of integration rather than as a means of back up since I am a cross platform user.

Sorry to hear that nirtime thats plenty photos to lose......this is a good read for the people who are not tech savvi.....good read the ones i think android people will like the most is google drive as its already integrated into the phone software

Sorry to hear that nirtime thats plenty photos to lose......this is a good read for the people who are not tech savvi.....good read the ones i think android people will like the most is google drive as its already integrated into the phone software

Its a very basic overview of backing up but its also my preferred method since all I have to backup are Androids. Unfortunately a little help from the cloud would have been nice for those devices which I do not manage since the S4 is not my own. I will never buy an S device after having some interesting experiences.

Man i am really sorry Nirtime ! That happened to me with my Galaxy Ace at one point in time. Now i know to use dropbox for all my photos . As soon as i take a photo with my phone it automatically saves to dropbox. There are similar programs to dropbox that works just fine. Also the manual way is also more comforting to know that you saved it yourself .

Smart phones are not always smart in some areas. Things can be easily deleted , replaced or edited. We need to safeguard ourselves just to be sure

Man i am really sorry Nirtime ! That happened to me with my Galaxy Ace at one point in time. Now i know to use dropbox for all my photos . As soon as i take a photo with my phone it automatically saves to dropbox. There are similar programs to dropbox that works just fine. Also the manual way is also more comforting to know that you saved it yourself .

Smart phones are not always smart in some areas. Things can be easily deleted , replaced or edited. We need to safeguard ourselves just to be sure

That will never affect me I personally do my backups and have google syncing my photos automatically. The S4 belonged to a family member and it really hurt them to lose their data. They're not very tech savvy and so do not make backups what so ever. I have always hated Galaxy S series phones apart from the S4 Active and for good reason. People always tell me I'm crazy but look at what has happened, the pics just randomly decided to take a walk. I know its not a problem with apps or a virus since it has plagued hundreds of people with brand new out of the box Samsung phones as well.

In all my years of Blackberries to Symbian to Windows phones to bootlooped Androids I never lost data and never had any weird problems like I've seen Samsung giving.

Last edited:
hmmm i never like samsung to much because everyone use to rate them too too high but with that random delete thing im more wary

hmmm i never like samsung to much because everyone use to rate them too too high but with that random delete thing im more wary

I also used to think they were decent but never wanted one since eveeryoneeee was all over then. But in my limited time with Samsung androids I've found them to be packed with nonsense in the ui that slows them down and some very odd issues.

^^^i agree with the safe guarding of pics so i usually find comfort when i manually back it up to my laptop...some memories are just to priceless

Back