Weekend Estimates: 'Date Night' #1, 'Titans' #2, 'Dragon' #3

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

TFM

LV

VIA BOM

Friday Estimates

1. Date Night - $9.3M
2. Clash of the Titans - $8.4M
3. How To Train Your Dragon - $7.1M
4. The Last Song - $3.6M
5. Why Did I Get Married Too - $3.5M

Taking into consideration that last Friday was Good Friday and therefore grosses were buoyed by the holidays, grosses this Friday should see a big decline for returning films.

Clash of the Titans was down more than 65%, but will recover over the weekend since both Saturday and Sunday were hampered by the Easter activities last week. Still, its a tight race for number one and Clash is falling hard.

How To Train Your Dragon was down only 36% from last Friday despite it being a holiday which shows audiences are loving the pic. It will have a big Saturday and Sunday and most probably will pass Titans on Saturday. Sunday will determine who's number one.

Opener Date Night started strongly but will be facing stiff competition. The comedy is skewing a bit older which means it won't see a big rush factor which might in turn keep it from going number one. But older crowd means longer legs so it's a win either way.

The Last Song also is showing strength, down 49% over last week's bloated Friday so it's drop will be even smaller over the weekend.

Why Did I Get Married Too isn't so lucky. It's down 72% over last Friday and will try to make a come back over the weekend.

Weekend Estimates:

1. Date Night - $26-$28M
2. Clash of the Titans - $26-$28M
3. How To Train Your Dragon - $22-$24M
4. The Last Song - $10-$12M
5. Why Did I Get Married Too - $10-$12M

I've only seen How To Train Your Dragon and it was excellent.

Weekend Estimates from BOM:

1. Date Night - $27.1M (#1 on Friday)
2. Clash of the Titans - $26.8M (#1 on Saturday) (down 56% over last week)
3. How To Train Your Dragon - $25.3M (#1 on Sunday) (down 12% over last week)
4. Why Did I Get Married Too - $11M (down 62% over last week)
5. The Last Song - $10M (down 37% over last week)

Dragon is exceptionally strong. Last Song shows some legs. Date Night opens well. Clash falls hard and Married Too is a wreck.

Like you anolgy TFM.. lol.. Well Date Night is on my watch list. Haven't seen Clash as yet. Didn't get time last weekend. Saw How to train your Dragon. its great. Saw Married Too. Tyler's come back film.. better than the 1st.. But will appeal only to his fans... No one on the fence about Perry's movies will think much of it.. but a good watch none the less.. Haven't seen Last Song; don't think i'll go see it anyway..might wait for the DVD.. Or maybe I might be surprised by a decent enough performance by Cyrus if I do see it.. Who knows?

Actuals

1. Clash of the Titans - $26.6M (down 56.5%, bad WOM, will crash next week)
2. Date Night - $25.2M (Was overestimated by FOX, skewing older, should hold well next week)
3. How To Train Your Dragon - $24.8M (down 14.3%, excellent WOM, will hold well next week)
4. Why Did I Get Married Too - $11M (down 62.4%, should level out next week, but decline very fast)
5. The Last Song - $9.8M (down 38.6%, good hold, may decline more next week)

Oh and Wyspa...heard Date Night was really funny but heard Miley is terrible in Last Song...you should probably wait til DVD since you don't really want to see it anyway.

Clash fell hard! Mabye that last minuet decision to convert to 3d saved face a bit. But hey at least we're getting useful info in the 3d\2d \price inflation\ demand-supply debate.
Dragon! very nice! I never thought i'd see a drop like that anytime soon, animated 3d win?

Definite win for Animated 3D.

3D definitely saved Clash to gain some more money but it will hurt them in the long run because the 3D conversion is sooo bad, it is giving the movie really bad word of mouth. It should've just stayed 2D. It is actually losing its 3D screens to Dragon, which is unheard of...when a new movie is losing screens to an older movie, it says something about the quality of the two movies.

Back