Vehicle Maintenance

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

anthonemorris

LV

Seeing that we have a very handy guide to buying used cars here, I thought it best to include a topic that we could all benefit from. This should be a must read topic for all vehicle owners and drivers whether new or old. Will try to keep it updated as time goes with helpful hints and tips to keep our investment on the road.

Many times we use "generic" guides for maintenance of our cars only to realize that every manufacturer makes parts that differ in lifespan and using such general information may cause more harm than good, but still give a very good guide as to how to properly maintain your ride

Found a very good starting point for those of us who are the do-it-yourself type.

http://www.carbibles.com/maintenancetips.html

From here we can get a very good guide on basic vehicle maintenance. As far as manufacturer specific types they would be posted in their allotted spaces in the forums.

Thanks Anthonemorris, this is a great general guideline for vehicle maintenance!

another very much overlooked but much needed part of vehicle maintenance is keeping it clean.
here is a simple and handy guide to keeping your ride looking as good as it runs

HOW TO DETAIL YOUR CAR

http://www.wikihow.com/Detail-a-Car

headlight restoration tutorial

[video=youtube;BGQEHhxXYoc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGQEHhxXYoc[/video]

Basic Tool List for New DIYers

[video=youtube;VmgUOUczi0o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmgUOUczi0o[/video]

now i know we all have our own preferred choice of products that we use in maintaining our vehicles , but i'd just like to start pointing out a few products that i've used over time and a few that have changed my mind.

[h=1]AMSOIL Power Foam Engine Cleaner & Degreaser[/h]
amsoil_power_foam.jpg
AMSOIL Power Foam (APF)
Amazing dual purpose product restores proper fuel flow and combustion and doubles as a total engine exterior degreaser!

Restore proper combustion and intake valve efficiency. Great for carbureted and fuel injected 2 and 4-cycle engines. Exterior degreaser function many times more effective than auto parts store on the shelf products like Gunk. - Large Can - LOW Cost!
AMSOIL Power Foam removes gum, varnish and carbon deposits for more efficient fuel economy and improved overall engine performance. AMSOIL Power Foam cleans intake valves, intake manifolds and throttle plates to keep the combustion intake system running at peak efficiency.

Want to feel better throttle response? Try Amsoil Power Foam!
Restores Drivetrain Operation to Like New
Effective in both two-cycle and four-cycle engines, AMSOIL Power Foam eliminates engine ping and keeps carburetors and injector systems properly tuned. AMSOIL Power Foam is safe for fuel injectors, catalytic converters and emission control devices. It will not damage seals, gaskets, rubber or plastic materials commonly used in gasoline engines.

AMSOIL Power Foam contains a powerful foaming agent and special high boiling solvents that penetrate rust and grease. It cuts through rust so bolts can be loosened or tightened easily and washes clean, leaving no residue to attract dirt. Power Foam also helps reduce pollution caused by dirty, rough-running engines.
Generally one 18 ounce can will treat a bit more than one V8 engine or two 4-cylinder engines. Very effective at restoring throttle response instantly. The foaming action when sprayed into the intake evenly distributes across intake passages with the air. Keeping the idle speed as low as possible w/o stalling the engine allows the product to saturate all surface areas and valves completely.
Performance Features and Benefits:

• Removes gum, varnish and carbon deposits
  • Suppresses engine ping
  • Cuts through rust and grease
  • Helps improves fuel economy
  • Reduces Pollution
  • Frees stuck choke mechanism
  • Lower cost than products such as Sea Foam and Gunk products
Many call this the Direct Fuel Injection Valve cleaner. Gas tank injector cleaners do not reach the valves when the vehicle has direct injection. Power Foam solves this problem. Removes carbon from the top side of the intake vales and restores performance!
I've been using this product regularly since 1997. From prepping cars for shows, restoring throttle response after a long day of racing, restoring performance after harsh winter warm-up idling to making engines easier to work on by removing grime from exterior.
This is the one non-oil product which sells by the case. Every family member will thank you for Power Foam!

DIRECTIONS
Run engine to normal operating temperature and remove air cleaner assembly. While engine is running, spray entire can of foam directly into intake. Turn off engine and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. Restart engine and drive to blow out deposits.

RECOMMENDATIONS
Avoid contact with hoses. To prevent the dissolving of paint, do not overspray. AMSOIL Power Foam is not recommended for use in diesel engines.

NOTE: Not to be used with vehicles that have MAF sensors. Call us for advice - There is a procedure to do do this correctly bypassing the sensor w/o the computer stalling the engine. Never spray PowerFoam into intake systems which pass through mass air flow sensors!! Call 800-579-0580 for clarification.
We are often asked how this compares to Sea Foam products. To answer that correctly with AMSOIL you do get more for your dollar but AMSOIL products are more for specific uses where as Seafoam sells a product for intake, fuel and crankcase - AMSOIL has stood by the policy that you should NEVER add any product to your motor oil then put a load on the engine.
Amsoil Power Foam is actually a Foam spray which will not contaminate other fluids in your engine. Unless of course it's a small engine w/o a oil filter or small sump - then you would want to drain due to increased carbon.
Recently I've had to prep parts without my parts washer. Power Foam is great for this purpose. I use a large pan, (oil drip pan, cat box, 5-gallon bucket) spray the product on stubborn grime then brush off. Any light solvent spray works easily after the tough grime has been penetrated. I have had excellent results on greasy king pins, fuel pumps needing rebuild (50 year old engines), brake backing plates, transmission housings and more.
You do want to be careful around rubber hoses. When I wash down a engine after spraying over the entire engine compartment at the car wash, I first thoroughly hose down the heater hoses and any rubber parts as this product will eventually soften the material.
For intake systems only use directly into the throttle bodies or carburetors. Do not spray through plastic intake systems common to newer cars. Either spray in through the first vacuum port (ported vacuum) or remove the intake tube. If the air flow sensor prevents the engine from running then have someone only slightly open a gap in the intake hose while you spray into the intake using the attached tube. Call us for more advice or questions. We will provide a short video on this subject soon.
This is one product which should be added on to every case of oil bought as it has so many uses to a good mechanic or someone wanting to keep their engines pristine. Add AMSOIL Power Foam to your purchase of our state of the art lubricants using a Preferred Customer wholesale buying account and say good by to multiple trips to the retail mark-up of the autoparts stores.

This seems cool. i have never heard about this but it seems pretty effective for some engine woes

I did try it actually. Did wonders for my car after a bottle and a half treatment (half was found lol). Recommend that you do an oil change soon if not immediately after doing this treatment. Really does smooth out the idle. As far as what to expect coming out the exhaust look for white smoke with black soot staining the ground behind your vehicle. Make sure the vehicle is at temp as well (post highway runs are best times).

My gf car was simpler. Just let the car idle, removed the pcv hose and let the vacuum do the rest. Car cut off twice which is expected, but the result is worth it. Just follow the instructions on the bottle and enjoy fogging up the place for a bit and run your ride like u stole it after to blow it all out.

Last edited:
How many of us overlook the fact that our vehicles have an electrical system run by a 12 volt battery? How often do we check on it? I did today after my car gave me a very dead start this morning. As it turns out, 5 out of the 6 plates/cells were almost dry. So I topped up the cells ( I recommend doing that while the engine is running ) with some battery water and all is well again. Took one and a half bottles to get me back up to mark. I would recommend checking at least once a month.

Attachments

• 20141023_140441.jpg
    20141023_140441.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 59
As part of maintenance, checking and topping up tyre pressures on a weekly basis can save your life.
Checking the oil each week lets you tell whether youre engine is consuming oil.
Keep an eye on coolant and power steering fluids while at it.
This is very important since I neglected to check the coolant on a previous vehicle trusting the "oem long life" expectancy sticker. The coolant was rusty brown and somewhat red in colour.

Keep a record of maintenance and repairs done to the vehicle for future reference.

Investment in an OBD II scanner can prove useful for some of the more inclined do it yourself people for reading and clearing error codes and to monitor engine parameters.

Conditioning of leather regularly is important to prevent it from getting hard and cracked over time.
Spraying scotch guard fabric protector on fabric upholestry can really make clean up of stains a lot easier.

Coating the underbody with rust prevention solutions can be effective to prolong the life of any vehicle.
In the case of 4wd vehicles always wash away any salt, sand or mud properly after beach driving or off roading to prevent rust.
Keep headlights free from oxidation and reapply UV Coating to preserve longevity.(I have a method to try if anyone is interested).
Putting up a sunshade on the windscreen when parking outdoors in the sun can help deter interior plastics from cracking or fading due to excessive UV exposure.

If your vehicle is equipped with rear drum brakes ensure that they are properly adjusted. For Toyota Hilux owners every 3-6 months you should adjust your rear drums for the most effective braking as the auto adjustment does not work very well.
Also refrain from washing vehicle immediately after use. This can warp rotors if water is sprayed directly.

I know some of these tips were covered in the wonderfully written guide on page 1 of this post but these are some of the things that I do to ensure that my vehicle is in its best shape.

Keep headlights free from oxidation and reapply UV Coating to preserve longevity.(I have a method to try if anyone is interested).

i'm interested in hearing your method or preventing oxidation on these plastic headlights. Post a write up on it. Don't be shy

i'm interested in hearing your method or preventing oxidation on these plastic headlights. Post a write up on it. Don't be shy
I'd love to do the write up on it however there is 1 method i really need to try before i do any write ups. It involves using the spar urethane in a 1:1 with mineral spirits.

I'd love to do the write up on it however there is 1 method i really need to try before i do any write ups. It involves using the spar urethane in a 1:1 with mineral spirits.

then make it a DIY project. post pics of the process and results as well. we can discuss it and who knows maybe improve on it

Back