Types of Motorcycles

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

The Dude

LV

The following is an excerpt from a book that I am currently working on entitled "Beginner's Motorcycle and Riding Theory". The book is designated for prospective riders that have no prior experience with motorcycles. It will take the rider through all of he ins and outs of owning a motorcycle and being a safe rider. The information from this book draws on lessons learned from my experiences throughout my first year of riding. Some lessons were learned the easy way, some the hard way, some passed on by more experienced riders and a lot from online research.

There are currently several types of motorcycles available each with its own riding style. Some bikes are purpose built for certain environments whereas others are built with comfort and usability in mind. Below is a brief overlook of the major types of motorcycles available.

Standard/ Street Motorcycles
rkkclAa.jpg

These motorcycles are made to be most suitable for everyday city commuting. The design of street motorcycles therefore incorporates an upright riding posture and focus mostly on manoeuvrability and comfort. Street motorcycles are generally easier to begin riding on due to the more intuitive riding posture. Many standard/street motorcycles are typically more readily available in smaller engine sizes including 125cc, 175cc and 250cc variants.

Trail Motorcycles
FxX2vgV.jpg

These motorcycles are made specifically for off road riding the capability of these motorcycles are normally limited by the skills of the rider. These motorcycles possess larger wheels to smooth out uneven trails and a robust suspension system with longer travel distance to handle more abuse. These bikes also possess a short wheel base and wide handle bar turning angle to give the bike a tight turning radius. Trail motorcycles typically have a shorter gear ratio to give the rear wheel greater torque to handle steeper inclines. There are also several types of tires available for trail bikes depending on the type of terrain that the bike will be used in (eg. Mud, sand, compacted dirt etc.)

Dual Sport/ Supermoto
KrZ9vzG.jpg

Dual sport/ Supermoto bikes have similar handling, feel, layout and suspension as trail bikes. The main differences are that dual sport bikes possess a longer gear ratio to enable the bike to reach higher speeds as well as the stronger front brakes required adequately slow down the bike. Supermotos are suitable for both street and dirt track riding. They may not be as capable as more purpose built trail motorcycles off road. A dual sport/ supermoto bike may be fitted with either dirt, street or hybrid tyres depending on the purpose of its use.

Cruiser
nMqp2Ew.jpg

Cruiser motorcycles are best suited for long recreational rides on wide open road and are very popular among recreational or “weekend” riders. The front wheel is pushed out further in front than a street bike and a longer front fork is incorporated to accommodate this design feature. The seat is lowered and set further back than a standard/ street bike and the foot pegs may be pushed further forward. The result of these design changes is a more laid back riding position. In most cases the arms end up being raised to shoulder height and the feet placed in front of the rider as opposed to just below the rider on most other bikes.
These bikes generally have a lot less horsepower than sport bikes with the same engine displacement. Cruiser bikes possess increased lower end torque to allow easier acceleration from a standstill and riding at lower speeds. These bikes may seem a bit awkward at first for some riders but can be very relaxing and enjoyable on longer rides.

Touring/ Sport Touring
HQcLIMN.jpg

Touring motorcycles are basically larger street motorcycles with larger engines to allow it to haul heavy loads over great distances. Many touring motorcycles possess engines over 1000cc and are tuned to provide a good balance between horsepower and torque. Touring motorcycles are built mainly for comfort and generally have plush seats and lots of storage room in saddle bags or a trunk. These are most suitable for going on riding trips that may take several days but stay on smooth paved surfaces.
Sport touring motorcycles are physically smaller than full touring motorcycles and feature less storage space. Sport touring bikes are also made to reach higher speeds and manoeuvre easier around corners. Some of the sportier versions are great for everyday riding as they are generally very comfortable to ride on for extended periods of time.

Sport Motorcycles
YXVUuyW.jpg

Sport motorcycles are built for purely for speed and quick, high G-force turns. These bikes have been getting smaller, lighter and more compact over the years for this very purpose. These bikes have wider rear tires for better traction on acceleration and a much smaller handlebar turning angle. The stock wheelbase is longer than a dirt bike to offer stability at high speeds and reduce the likelihood the front tire rising on acceleration. However, the wheel base is shorter than that for cruisers to allow increased manoeuvrability. These bikes put the rider in a more attacking riding position than other motorcycles and improper riding posture can put a lot of unnecessary stress on the rider’s hands and back.

This article has been provided for illustration purposes only and the writer takes no liability for any damages or harm that may occur as a result of following the instructions in this article.This article may not be reproduced in any way or form without the expressed permission from the author in writing. For more information or permission to use/reproduce this article elsewhere please contact "The Dude" on RealTrini.com

didnt know where to post this so here dude check out this concept by suzuki im not a big bike man but this bike looks great
[video=youtube;HVv0PDdPYaY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVv0PDdPYaY[/video]

Definitely love the sport motorcycles. I just love to see them speed down the highways pretty fast dodging in and out of traffic. If i ever had to get one it will definitely be one of this

Which is the best sport brand?

Personally I rather bikes that have the passenger (pillion rider) seat in the back. No point riding if you can't tow some shordy every now and then. I like the design of the lights on it tho.

LadyDeath the best bike depends on preference.

Ease of riding - Honda
Speed and Power - Suzuki
Pure aggression - Kawasaki

Bikes of those brands with similar engine sizes will have similar specs and performance but the different body positioning and tuning give them very different feels. I don't know many people with Yamaha so I can't comment on it. BTW I finally got a GoPro so I'll start uploading some riding vids soon. Got one of where I did 0-200 in 10 seconds. I need to work on redlining my bike (250kmph) in 10 seconds if I ever want to get respectable times on a 1/4 mile though.

Dude one question, the bikes that people build in their shops or whereever with car engines like the BMW engine or the 1JZ Toyota engines, what would those be classified as?

Back