True Trini Foods

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

Shadowhunter

LV

A member of my cooking audience recently complained to me that much to their distaste and annoyance, I don't cook real Trini food. :confused:Instead of committing murder, I've decided to ask for ideas and inspiration. :angel:

What are some of your favorite Trini foods and drinks? Frequent meals from your childhood and/or school days? What are recipes or meals every Trini should know about?

I am limited to meals excluding wheat and dairy (no roti, bread, biscuits/Crix, milk, cheese, butter, etc.) but The Grand Food Critic is not.

Yesterday I tried rice, boiled plantains, and corned beef, much to The Grand Food Critic's satisfaction (who rejected the totally Trini plantains), who later had sandwiches with leftover corned beef and hops bread. Today is buss up shot, curried chana, and stew chicken (because coconut crusted chicken and mango salsa over spiced rice is not Trini, even though Trinidad totally has an abundance of mangoes and coconut and chicken and rice and spices!!!! :Cry:)

Drop ideas like rain please!!! :help:

Check that food salsa... Drools..... Lol pelau ha know how to make that good all trini like that, macaroni pie, with bbq lamb, the famous rice and corn beef, Sheppards pie, smoke bone soup...... I getting myself hungry now

I did not know corned beef and rice was so big! I haven't made macaroni pie in a long time so I'll get back on board with that and maybe some pelau and bbq (why all this hard work for simple food?!?!). I don't know about smoked bone soup though. Is it like bone broth?

I've made it before with tomatoes, onions, and pimiento and this time I made it with only carrots. Any other ways you know it to be made?

No how you are making it with those stuff is the way to go lol....when i used to get corn beef was made exactly like that ahaha but the thing with corn beef its better to eat when it now made

LOL well now it will be on my go to list. Is the smoked bone soup you mentioned like a bone broth or something different?

I have no idea about the soup, as I was really young when I used to get it will have to get info on it

Dhal Pouri, curry duck, goat, chicken, etc... Stew and what grimreaper said.

Curry crab and dumplin (not sure that is trini) but yea if you make that and all lol

Dasheen and curry chicken today! Totally trini!!! I think dumpling and crab is trini too, maybe more well known in Tobago but still trini lol

LOL! That's the dream!

Back