The wrecking In Port-Of-Spain!

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LV

Awards
Police are wrecking in the city of Port-of-Spain and alot of people are being affected by this, either you were wrecked at sometime or knew some one who was wrecked.
The main problem about this wrecking is, do the police officers on the wreckers lawfully wreck your vehicle? and
Why is it that there are inadequate Traffic sighs on the streets to inform drivers of the parking regulation on that street?

The main reason why you may be wrecked in Port-Of-Spain are:
* You breached a traffic sign be it a one way sign or a no parking sign.
* You parked your vehicle within 9meters of a corner (29.52755 Feet)
* You parked your vehicle within 3 meters of a fire hydrant (10 feet)
* You parked your vehicle on the footpath or pavement
* Your vehicle did cause unnecessary obstruction.

Have you been wrecked please post your stores here.

I haven't been wrecked thank God, but my neighbour has been wrecked from Quamina Street in St. James after she parked on the yellow line that has been recently painted throughout st. James she had to pay a $500.00 fine

however in Port of Spain, I really don't see much cars being wrecked, honestly I play it safe and park in the car park on Henry Street, never had to complain yet.

The two agency that wrecks are THE CITY POLICE AND TRAFFIC BRANCH POLICE, The city police wrecks in the woodbrook and St James area and wreck the vehicles to DOCK road next to the port and MovieTowne where Traffic branch police wrecks vehicles in lower Port-Of-Spain area and transports them to Traffic branch next to the Port-Of-Spain central Market.

On the newspapers last week, the mayor said that the wreckers have become reckless in their duties and its all for the money. He is contemplating whether to have the entire operations dismantled.. Honestly i feel if wrecking has completely stopped in POS, there will be CHAOS :twisted:
On another note, some party-goers does be in a hurry and park up anywhere they feel

Sometimes i understand that the police are doing their jobs but some wrecker men are really money hungry and does wreck people vehicles just for so...i really would like to see how wrecking turns out when the police are working with cameras on their vests :D

When is $300 for the wrecker per car taken ($200 for police), I can see why they would get over zealous.

I heard of stories of legally parked cars taken, with no redress for the owner.

The dash cams in my car are ready for them and they nonsense.

I have heard the stories about people who were wrongfully or illegally wrecked. They parked obeying all road and traffic signal, were still wrecked and had to pay the $500 release fee. I also find the wrecking does pick up pace around month end, so for the rest of this weeka dn next week, be on the lookout.
My major grudge with theses wreckers is that they should have some distinguishing marks or emblems. Who does this wrecker belong too? What company or organisation? The way I see it, anybody can take a white wrecker and thief a car.

POS stopped wrecking for awhile when they were illegal wreckers stealing cars . These things would easily happen since the regular wrecker men had no identification on their vehicles thus anyone with a wrecker could of towed peoples' cars. Wrecking is a serious money making business. There is a word out that a few police officers bought wreckers and hiring people to operate them.

It should not be so. As it stands, your car can be stolen with one of these wreckers. No police logo or mark, no ministry emblem. Not even a coat of arms. Just a big white wrecker that takes your car and go.

The wreckers are owned by a private company and are contracted by the state. I believe the reason why most of the wreckers are uniformed in colour are to prevent people from marking them when wrecking vehicles.

Yes but still to prevent anything further, how would we be able to identify them?? There were alot of disputes where people's car was wrecked and the POS police wrecking area have no logs of their vehicle ever being there or wrecked for that matter. Instead of police playing so much to contract wreckers why don't they just buy the darn things. Much easier and less costly but then again they don't even have the funds to buy new police vehicles for stations as well.

Exactly. The general public is not able to identify these wreckers. We all know what they look like, but is it police doing the wrecking each and every time? Since these wreckers are contracted by the state, don't you all think that for the period of the contract, a logo or emblem can be placed on these wreckers?

True i was hearing from a friend of mines who is a police officer that conducts wrecking saying that they were investigating reports of similar white wreckers unlawfully wrecking persons vehicles when they are wrecking. Any time a wrecker proceeds to wreck a vehicle a police officer dressed in blue and grey must be present.

I have absolutely no problems with persons who break the law being wrecked. My concern is how it is done. Who is to be held accountable if your vehicle is damaged in the process.

My Story:

A couple months ago - I was in the POS area just outside Nicholas Towers in my van parked with the AC on. A wreck-car pulls in front of me and I am observing them closely. The unit reverses and two men jump out grabbing chains and proceeding to hook me up. So i blow the horn and indicate to the police that I am in the vehicle....the men continue to attach the chains and hook to my vehicle and proceeds to begin reeling me in. I locked in the 4-wd and stomp on the accelerator - the power of my van jerked the whole wreck-car backwards and burst the cable and chain. I came out my van - unattached what was there and drove off.

V2nr 3.0 said:
I have absolutely no problems with persons who break the law being wrecked. My concern is how it is done. Who is to be held accountable if your vehicle is damaged in the process.

My Story:

A couple months ago - I was in the POS area just outside Nicholas Towers in my van parked with the AC on. A wreck-car pulls in front of me and I am observing them closely. The unit reverses and two men jump out grabbing chains and proceeding to hook me up. So i blow the horn and indicate to the police that I am in the vehicle....the men continue to attach the chains and hook to my vehicle and proceeds to begin reeling me in. I locked in the 4-wd and stomp on the accelerator - the power of my van jerked the whole wreck-car backwards and burst the cable and chain. I came out my van - unattached what was there and drove off.

Them really nasty! These days there are praedial larceny officers conducting wrecking and not Police officers. These Larceny officers have only trained for a certain number of days and are conducting wrecking in a very lousy manner. People care complaining! I just wish someone just use their brains and make a damn BIG MULTI STOREY Car Park to ease all this stress.. POS was never designed for parking and just imagine this is a city. When a disaster happen how would everyone evacuate??

LadyDeath said:
V2nr 3.0 said:

My Story:

Them really nasty! These days there are praedial larceny officers conducting wrecking and not Police officers. These Larceny officers have only trained for a certain number of days and are conducting wrecking in a very lousy manner. People care complaining! I just wish someone just use their brains and make a damn BIG MULTI STOREY Car Park to ease all this stress.. POS was never designed for parking and just imagine this is a city. When a disaster happen how would everyone evacuate??

Yes that true the wrecking are conducted by praedial larceny officers who are not trained in the MV&RT act. They do not know how to write a ticket and they have to ask the wrecker drivers the reason and offense for which the vehicle is being wrecked.
These officers are the main reason why there are so much bad wrecking in the Port-Of-Spain region. And all of them does be getting a cut from the wrecking.

V2nr 3.0 said:

My Story:

But dem rel boldface and nasty.
You blew your horn to indicate that you were in the vehicle and they still proceeded to wreck the vehicle? Dem stinkin soo and sooo....

You guys should have seen the look on the wreck-car people faces and the police officer - "like thats a f-ing mad man ah wah"

Cursing in public too..I wish you had recorded that and post it up for the public to see! I know normally they will ask you if you are aware that your vehicle is parked in a no-parking/wrecking zone and give you a chance but them new officers really feel they ranking. So far i haven't met any of them and i hope i don't have any run ins with them in the future.

Back