The Ten Weirdest Car Safety Features That Never Caught On

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

grimreaper009

LV

10) Rocket Brakes
1311379523854289811.jpg

9)Volvo Heartbeat Sensor: The sensor allowed for the holder of the cars key fob to detect whether a human was inside the car, when in range of the fob detection area.
[video=youtube_share;BUsg8R2DVj4]https://youtu.be/BUsg8R2DVj4[/video]

8)Pedestrian Airbags
This was another safety feature led by Volvo.
?Activates within 60 milliseconds of the front bumper?s pressure tube sensing a person, as long as the SUV?s moving between 15 and 30 MPH. The air bag pops out right ahead of where the windshield meets the hood and keeps a low profile, so you can see out as you move on to your next victim.?

7) Headlight Wipers
101651d1160994797-headlight-wiper-broken-25_1592350_910200523125pm-1-.jpg

6) Curb Feelers
s-l1000.jpg

5)Built-In Booster Seats
volvo_childseat11.jpg

4) Water-filled Bumper
bumper-1.jpg

3)Seat Belt Interlock
1311379524736758931.jpg

2) Pedestrian Cow Catcher
The device would be used to scoop up and collect pedestrians, rather than have them roll under the automobile?s front wheels.
roller%20safety%202.JPG

1)Tucker Safety Windshield
1311379524851785363.jpg

taken from The Ten Weirdest Car Safety Features That Never Caught On

Evidently Headlight Wipers got replaced with the Headlight Washers but amm Seat Belt Interlock?

Evidently Headlight Wipers got replaced with the Headlight Washers but amm Seat Belt Interlock?
lol actually some European vehicles still come with the headlight wipers and correct with the washers lol yea the seat belt interloc was alot of problems as it malfunction alot and the car wouldnt of start because of it lol

Lol oh wow! You know the days when top speed was like 110km/h seatbelts were never really a worry.

Yeah seatbelts were no worries then lol. These days if you don't have seatbelts you in trouble.

trouble and more trouble and all these people who like to speed in the rain dunno what does posses them nah

Agreed. What I does find amusing is how these new cars and them could easily do 170+ but plenty of them don't have the handling to back it up but more so its how the people does want to go as fast as the car could accelerate with no regard for much else.

When rain fall it does get worse. I see a lot of new rear wheel drive vehicles coming with VSC and TCS as standard equipment, something which apparently wasn't deemed as necessary before. The problem is plenty of them don't allow you to switch off TCS for as long as you want, it does reenable when it senses loose traction which defeats the purpose.

Imagine in those days if it had humps number 2 would of been dangerous. Loving the windshield wipers thou. Nice to get them bugs out of the way lol

Imagine in those days if it had humps number 2 would of been dangerous. Loving the windshield wipers thou. Nice to get them bugs out of the way lol

Hmmm it would have been a hazard without having number 2 even LOL

Funny story about #8. Cars safety standards have raised to include pedestrian safety. This is why newer cars look bulkier in general. newer cars must have adequate space between the hood and the engine to allow deformation of the hood to reduce the force of impact on a pedestrian. This is why the bonnet profile of newer cars are higher.

To make things more interesting, designers realised that to keep the sexy contours of the car (that contour from bonnet to top of door just below windows to trunk) the height of the bottom of the windows and trunk had to be raised as well.

Even more interesting is that the most effective pedestrian safety feature to date is the walkover... :eek:

Funny story about #8. Cars safety standards have raised to include pedestrian safety. This is why newer cars look bulkier in general. newer cars must have adequate space between the hood and the engine to allow deformation of the hood to reduce the force of impact on a pedestrian. This is why the bonnet profile of newer cars are higher.

To make things more interesting, designers realised that to keep the sexy contours of the car (that contour from bonnet to top of door just below windows to trunk) the height of the bottom of the windows and trunk had to be raised as well.

Even more interesting is that the most effective pedestrian safety feature to date is the walkover... :eek:

So how would it work if a pedestrian were to get hit by a pick up truck? I realise pick up bonnets are much heavier and definitely look and feel a lot harder to bend/deform than a sedan bonnet.
Seeing as a 4wd pick up sits higher than a car as well, how would the height impact the whole incident?

Come to think of it I dont know. Not to mention that some pickup trucks have the bull bars in front. The thing about pickups is that they are a lot more dangerous for everyone else involved in the accident that isn't inside the pickup. I wonder if there have ever been and car/pickup crash tests.

I can say that there are a lot of pick ups and SUVs will very heavy metal front bumpers running around as well. That amplifies the effects even more.

I must look around for some car/truck accident videos. It'd be interesting to see how a unibody and body on frame crumple when involved in an accident together.

most of the bumpers that the people use out here are of cheap material it's just for the look...only true off road ppl buy the proper off road ones I check one on the ranger the other day lol n it wasnt that thick

most of the bumpers that the people use out here are of cheap material it's just for the look...only true off road ppl buy the proper off road ones I check one on the ranger the other day lol n it wasnt that thick

I wasn't referring to here nah, I had a picture of an Austrailian Off road kitted out vehicle in my head. Down here you will hardly find people with the ARB original gear.

Back