The Spectacular

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!
N

Neo

1166780.jpg

GEISHA ALONZO

"The Spectacular Zico" came to a fantastic finish at the Southern Academy for the Performing Arts (Sapa) in San Fernando yesterday, culminating two weeks of sheer brilliance on stage.

This family theatre event, conceptualised by renowned and veteran actor/producer Fareid Carvalho, was another dynamic production providing fun-filled learning and showcasing diversity of T&T's local culture with valuable lessons on the importance of respecting one's elders.

But more so, it generally and resolutely spoke about a determined message to women that despite adversities, including the horrors of domestic violence, they can harness the courage within themselves to overcome all evils.

"We read and hear about all sorts of evils women face daily...be it sexual abuse or domestic violence. The production sends a clear message that women must be respected and even more so that they have within themselves the fortitude to always rise," Carvalho explained.

This localised tale opened in a market scene with a grand palace as the backdrop, where a young peasant girl (played by Rebecca Elias) who was actually the Princess of the Kingdom met Aldon (played by Carvalho).

The play, which chronicled their struggles and triumphs, is a reflection of Carvalho's own life story, in particular his mother's.

"I came from a single-parent home and I clearly remember my mother working three jobs to make ends meet and to give me the best education possible. This play is also a celebration of women...of their overwhelming ability to be resilient and always mustering the courage to strive, against all odds," said Carvalho, who has been in the production industry for the past ten years.

The production was also influenced by Carvalho's love for Disney and all the magic that comes with it, including famous story lines which have not only captured the hearts of international audiences but still remain relevant.

The play was also performed in front of a sell-out crowd at Queen's Hall, Port-of-Spain. Both productions cost $400,000 which contained spectacular effects including smoke machines.

"A production of this scale is costly but whatever we do it reflects perfection and quality," Carvalho added.

The play was written and brought to the stage under the direction of multiple Cacique Award winner Penelope Spencer.

Back