Teaching of Religions In All Schools

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

LadyDeath

Senior Marketing Officer
Staff member
LV

I find that as we live in a plural society today and we are exposed to alot of cultures, to promote peace and unity there should be teaching of all religions in school to prevent discrimination and to have a better understanding of religion in the caribbean
Education Minister, Dr Tim Gopeesingh, says, in the future, schools including those run by denominational boards, will be mandated, under a revised curriculum, to teach about all religions.

Gopeesingh made the comment at the Hindu Students' Council of Trinidad and Tobago's (HSCTT) annual conference at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex in Mt Hope yesterday.

He said the way religion is taught in this country needs to be revisited, and that the topic will be on the agenda when his ministry hosts a national consultation on the primary school curriculum this week.

"In the reviewed curriculum, all schools, whether they are government, government-assisted, which are denominational or private, will be mandated to teach about religious education as part of their timetables ... not in the same manner as is being done now. So we want to teach about religious education and not religious education, there is a difference," Gopeesingh said.

"I will therefore welcome the inputs of not just the Hindu Students' Council of Trinidad and Tobago, but all youth groups, of all religions, in partnering with the Ministry of Education in completion of a revised curriculum in religious education that mirrors the virtues and values of all the religious groups in our country. This will ensure that we continue to produce citizens who promote the wonderful pluralism and unity that defines our beautiful multicultural society and country of Trinidad and Tobago."

i think that this is a good idea in order for the children to learn other religions and to yes stop this hating against other religions and to have respect for the others who carry out religious practices

Back