T&TEC LINES FALL ON WOMAN

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

LadyDeath

Senior Marketing Officer
Staff member
LV

A 61-YEAR-OLD Venezuela-born woman suffered third degree burns when two TTEC electrical lines fell on her on Henry Street, Port-of-Spain yesterday.

Angelina Diaz, a mother of three, was saved from being electrocuted when Downtown Owners and Merchants Association (DOMA) president Gregory Aboud and passers-by used a stick to pull the live wires off of her body.

Aboud used the piece of wood to move the two wires from Diaz as she lay unconscious on the ground. Aboud’s heroics were revealed by Diaz during an interview with Newsday from her hospital bed yesterday. Diaz said she was lucky to be alive.

Diaz of Charford Court, Port-of-Spain said she had just purchased an airline ticket to travel to New York and was walking along Henry Street in Port-of-Spain at about 11 am, when the overhead wires fell on her.

“I saw what looked like fire falling before me and then I felt pain in my arms, stomach...all over,” Diaz said. She added that the pain was so excruciating that she started praying and then saw a man wearing glasses (Aboud) with a piece of stick trying to remove the wires from her body.

“I then blacked out and when I regained consciousness I was in the hospital,” Diaz said. Diaz who is Venezuelan by birth secured citizenship and considers herself a Trinidadian. Diaz said she was visited by TTEC officials who brought a bouquet of flowers and fruits. Yesterday, her relatives were making arrangements to have Diaz moved to the St Clair Medical Centre in preparation to have her flown to Miami. TTEC officials confirmed the commission will be footing the bill for Diaz to go to the Miami Burns Centre for treatment.

Aboud told Newsday yesterday that when he saw Diaz lying under tangled the lines he realised emergency personnel would not arrive in time because of the traffic.

“When I approached the scene and knelt close to the lady, I observed that she was breathing. I then used a piece of wood which I found nearby and with the help of other members of the public was able to extricate the woman from the lines,” Aboud said.

“We then had the assistance of a policeman who transported the lady to the Port-of-Spain General Hospital,” he added.

Henry Street was closed off between Independence Square and Duke Street and electricity to the area was shut off. Stephen Martel, TTEC corporate communications officer, confirmed that two lines burst and fell on Diaz. “We have launched an investigation to determine how the lines burst and this will be conducted by the northern distribution area of TTEC and the safety department,” Martel said.

He admitted that reports were made yesterday about lines sparking on the street but by the time field workmen responded, Diaz had already been shocked by the lines. Kendall Francis, TTEC assistant area manger/operations said a thorough inspection of electricity lines in Port-of-Spain will be conducted.

Its good to know that T&TEC was kind enough to visit the woman and is paying her health bills,but on another note I'd like to know why all TSTT's wires in the entire country are hung so low.

Yup and its alot easier for people to steal the copper from the lines, Well you know that t&TEC could be sued for this, that could have been a child or even several people.

Jus today a big truck pull down our cable line from our road them so stupid they like to drive fast and eh cautios of what they doin

-Karina said:
Jus today a big truck pull down our cable line from our road them so stupid they like to drive fast and eh cautios of what they doin
Not at all,the bigger issue is that if the line was not hung so low then don't matter how big of a truck it is it is not supposed to even touch the wire.For instance our phone line got pulled down like 5 times since we had,we couldn't blame the trucks by us because they have to use the road,so I blame TSTT,they eventually came an erect an extension on top of our house to raise the height of the line.And just with the space of the last 4 weeks gone by the lines down the road fell down twice,and is always TSTT lines by me,no one else.I does be glad when it fall down so they will get off their butts an come fix it,only sad for the downtime.

Well its not that cool3ni it hav a big caution sign there and the big trucks suppose to know not to speed when they reach infront of our trace is them who did break the little childs foot when they were passing so fast speeding to reach the sand pit. alot of big trucks past jus like them and they are cautious now why others cant be so :icon_confused:

I saw where the incident took place and if yuh see the t&tec lines...it melt up!!!!! They Still have it hanging and it looks so scary..... luckily she's alive....

It was a rather unfortunate incident, luckily the person is still alive. You can say that it was T&TEC's negligence which caused this mishap. They are responsible for their power lines and should have fixed those low lying power lines before it even it became a threat. The victim should take legal action against the Trinidad and Tobago Electricity Corporation (T&TEC).

but if they are paying for her health bills there is no need for that.

yea...they payiun but if they rectify that problem in d first place they wouldnt have to pay!!!!

Back