Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 hard drives are failing

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LV

Awards
barracuda.png

If your machine contains a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 hard drive, and in particular the 1TB model, then you may have been experiencing problems recently.

Apparently lots of the drives are failing due to a fault with the firmware some of the drives use. With no warning the drive will just stop working and if you try to reboot your machine there is no response from the drive because it has gone into a fail safe mode.

If that wasn’t enough of a headache Seagate have also been sending out replacement drives that have exactly the same problem. So you go through the process of returning and replacing the drive, only to have the same thing happen all over again. Data recovery companies are unofficially reporting up to a 40% failure rate with these specific hard drives.

The problem has been going on for over a month now, but Seagate has not recalled the drives still sitting on store shelves with the issue. All new drives are now being updated to stop it happening, and drives under warranty continue to be replaced, but users are clearly angry over the situation and this will surely put many off buying in future.

awww they my fav brand, oo wait i have the 500gb lol i hope they not affected. i would be pissed

Back