School

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

madsuya

LV

A school is an institution designed for the teaching of students under the direction of teachers and principal with their rules and in school conducts.....tell me if u agree or disagree on this matter.. a Roman Catholic school in San Fernando is under investigation for a matter where a primary school girl student was not allowed to attend classes at the school because her hands were painted with mehindi...( Mehindi is the art of applying temporary henna tattoos on women?s hands and feet )....the ministry said this pupil was discriminated against....my take on this is school rules applies whether its Divali or any other festival....we need to obey rules or get prior permission before breaking school rules....lets hear your views

I will start by agreeing that school rules are school rules

But this is a school with a religious foundation. Therefore logic on this on already went out the window. Of course they gonna ban non Catholic stuff. Were it a chaplain, it would have been perfectly fine.

Were it a Hindu school instead, the mehindi would have been perfectly fine.

Flip the coin and a hindu or muslim school would have a fit if a christian student came to school say with a chaplain.

As long as we have denominational schools in the country this rubbish will continue to occur. I am of the firm opinion, that denominational schools that want to impose their religious view on its pupils should go private and stop taking my tax dollars to do what you like with impunity. Unfortunately this country will literally need to sever diplomatic ties with the Vatican, rendering the concordat of 1960 null and void, for that to occur. And THAT piece of colonialism not looking like it will go away anytime soon.

I just found this old article that highlights past similar cases: http://legacy.guardian.co.tt/archives/2004-09-27/jacob.html

Suffice to say, if I have kids, they not going any denominational school.

this topic should be a hot topic but i don't see ppl addressing problems an issues at school here...is it that u like what is going on in our schools in this country....coz in my school the teachers don't perform an only blame the students and parents for the students failure...but the teachers and auxiliary staff only gossip about the village ppl and other things...come on Trinidad and Tobago....this is our future generation...lets make our school accountable for the poor work is being done at the institutions...

I totally agree with Saxman. What an insightful article! From my schooling experience in Trinidad this is what I learned:

1. Alcoholism, smoking, and private phone calls are more important than teaching and students' learning time should be sacrificed for this.

2. Individuality is corrupt and sinful. Any students exhibiting any form of individuality should be marked out by students and staff and treated in such a way that they are forced to conform or leave the school.

3. Religion and school are one. There is no such thing as atheism or agnosticism. Students who do not conform to a religion will be singled out once again as this is more important than education. Religious wear or traditions are allowed depending on the mood and personal beliefs of each member of staff, which students must be able to psychically predict or be singled out to face the public wrath of someone having a bad day.

4. Teachers should not be forced to teach students daily. When teachers have over 90% of their classes failing year after year, the problem is obviously all the students, year after year, never the teacher.

5. If it is not in the teacher's job description, forget about it.

6. Anyone who asks questions or rebutts this system is unwelcome.

Sadly this is the prevalent behavior in all 'junior' and 'senior' secondary schools. The teachers don't care and demotivate the students more than inspire and uplift. There are exceptions though, but majority dictates.

As for this situation, I believe if you accepted a student from a different religious background, you are accepting their beliefs and customs as well. If you don't want students expressing these things in your school, don't accept them!

I think either religious and traditional habits and attire are to be accepted or not. You can't condone fasting yarn on the wrist or tikka on the forehead and claim mehendi (purely cultural, not religious at all) is blasphemy. Trinidad and Tobago is famous for being rich in culture, an abundance of traditional and religious holidays and practices, and great encouragement and acceptance of following traditions and keeping the old practices alive. I don't see how what is on someone's skin or head gets in the way of their education, judging whether or not they are allowed to be in school. The child was dressed in her normal school attire and came to school as normal. Funny how the headlines can dictate kicking a primary school child out of school for mehendi (though it is suitable for staff, business places, the general public etc) but rapists in schools aren't big enough news to follow up, identify, or suspend.

To start with, don't WE ALL get Divali day off? So why when it benefits us no matter what religion we may be, why don't we kick some fuss for it but when its something that doesn't affect us we have a problem with it? Trinidad and Tobago is very much a plural society, I honestly am very upset to hear such a thing and it is obvious that certain institutions which are supposed to foster development of the society are really discriminatory in their practices.
Yes school rules and school rules, theres no argument there but considering how diverse this place is, its really morally wrong to make a religious symbol a big problem.

The morals of WHICH religion, nirtime? The Catholics or the Hindus?

You have to remember these Priests, Imams and Pundits couldn't care less about any holiday as long as their religious agendas are met. And "religious" it does NOT imply ethical or fair ot others not of the faith

I'll tread a fine and say this: i have no issues with religion in schools. But I have a SERIOUS issue wilth a government funded/assisted school having a religious affiliation.

If the boards want to do what they like with their school, fine. Do it WITHOUT my money. Go Private. I rather the government pay a term fee for a student to go a private catholic school that.

And while that happens, Radically transform the public education system. But this is a "we like it so" country. The average fool gonna resist change as bad as they do with attempts to computerize licensing (death threats pass over computerizing licensing!)

Not religious morals saxman642, i was referring to the secular part of beliefs but i do agree with you totally. I think otherwise of religion which i would prefer to not disclose to a public forum in light of unintentionally offending anyone.

The country is just too diverse for public schools to be religiously divided.

Further your last paragraph says it all. Theres not much which can be done to improve the conditions as we as a bargaining body fight amongst ourselves to begin with.

So let us break this down...

A catholic school has certain rules that all children attending should follow.
Trinidad and Tobago is a multicultural society that is home to many people of different religions.
Unlike in a modern society, many follow the traditions of festivals strongly here in Trinidad.
A child wears Mehindi for Divali and came to school and was not allowed to attend classes.
Mehindi is a stain on the hands that over time will come off. Trying to scrub off mehindi will only bruise hands.
The school said that the child was breaking the rules of the school by the drawings on her hands.

Questions we need to ponder:

1. Was the child's parent aware that Mehindi was a rule-breaker in the school?
2. If yes, why did she allow her child to still put it.
3. Catholic school should of understand our cultural society and students will be from different religions.
4. Sometimes rules are the rules and The principal and parent should of held a meeting.
5. This meeting should rectify the situation and student will be allowed back into the school with a warning to never happen again.
6. It is unfair to withhold education from a child because of silly drawings on a her hands.
7. If the school know that it does not allow students to show traits from their religion, they should rethink only accepting Catholics only!

I went to a muslim school and we could not of worn Mehindi also. However, the teachers could wear it big and bold. What i'm saying is, there's no problem to enforce a rule but make sure your teachers follow it too

True! If rules are to be put into place it must be respected by all on the premises, regardless of status or religion i.e. if religious or cultural wear is prohibited that should include the wearing of crosses, hijabs, tikka, etc from teachers, students, visitors etc. More and more parents are not just looking for a school that matches their religious beliefs when picking their child's primary school. The question of the school's reputation, passes, educational opportunities, and teachers are among considerable details. I know many parents who sent their children to schools that were of another religion for many of their own reasons of convenience. By spreading the awareness of and enforcing the severity of such non-negotiable rules up front, a lot of confusion can be avoided by giving parents the option to at least consider their choices carefully before making the decision of committing their child to a certain school. I think in such a case as this, it is a likely possibility that if the mother was aware of such rules, they may have been glossed over, especially by whatever visual cues were present in the school as to religious, traditional, and/or cultural tolerance.

Last edited:
To me, it seems like a rule of convenience. I'm sure that there are many trivial rules that are and have been broken, with little to no consequence. Sending a child home, depriving her of her education because of something as trivial as mehindi, is absurd in my book. Mehendi is adorned by many during weddings, divali and other religious occasions, and not only by Hindus. It stains the wearers hands for days, so basically, there school rule implies that child should refrain completely from celebrating part of their culture because the school cannot understand the difference between culture and decorations? This seems pretty racially motivated to me.

To me, it seems like a rule of convenience. I'm sure that there are many trivial rules that are and have been broken, with little to no consequence. Sending a child home, depriving her of her education because of something as trivial as mehindi, is absurd in my book. Mehendi is adorned by many during weddings, divali and other religious occasions, and not only by Hindus. It stains the wearers hands for days, so basically, there school rule implies that child should refrain completely from celebrating part of their culture because the school cannot understand the difference between culture and decorations? This seems pretty racially motivated to me.
Thats essentially what i tried to say but you captured it much better, i agree with you on all levels. Its just ridiculous and leaves one to wonder what else goes on that isnt made public.

Exactly! I went to Naps, then PTown Senior Sec. Sec got a bad rep, you were always hearing about drugs, fights, etc. Well guess what! Naps had the same crap, just covered it up to maintain their reputation. Imagine someone tried to burn the school down....they failed miserably, but that was never made public....

Back