Renewable Energy In T&t

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

LadyDeath

Senior Marketing Officer
Staff member
LV

Unlike other Caribbean countries, Trinidad is blessed with alot of resources such as

1.Natural Oil & Gas deposits
2. Pitch Lake
3. Natural springs, waterfalls, groundwater, swamps etc.
3. Limestone deposits- Mining , Quarrying etc.

Recently, there has been speculation that a serious inflation will rock T&T due to our Oil & Gas Industry which makes most of our income. It is evident that we rely on Non-renewable resources that is temporary and not focusing on renewable 'clean' sources that can be sustainable. Our record shows that we focus on the short term and not towards long sustainable development.

Renewable clean forms of energy are wind power, hydro power, solar energy , biofuel , geothermal.
Caribbean countries are now adopting these methods and putting together proposals such as Guyana- hydro power and Barbados - Wind farms.

What's your stance on this? Do you think we should focus on other forms of energy instead of putting our eggs in one basket? What type of renewable energy do you think would be beneficial to us ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Renewable Energry In T&T

To start with, it amazes me everytime to think about the fact that we have one of three major pitch lakes in the world yet we have some of the worst roads and the worst contractors.

It baffles me to know that cocoa is only just about to be restarted in terms of production.

Im always thinking about some of our natural wonders which are known by tourists who come here and get robbed etc...

Clearly we are putting our eggs in the same basket and I do not see any reason why we could not diversify or have made strives toward diversity previously. Trinidad is a beautiful place, so is Tobago but I feel that the things that make us known apart from our petroleum have died and continue to die slowly.

The future is uncertain, im not knowledgeable enough to comment on the inflationary trends but I will say that a large part of local inflation comes from greed more so than through the workings of the price mechanism.

I agree with nirtime. We could benefit so much more if we utilized at least some of our own natural resources. Say what you want about Hugo Chavez, but the man knew how valuable oil was and clamped down on his country's resource. Did you know oil was cheaper than water in Venezuela? You could full your tank of gas and everybody else's on an excursion with spare change; just a few coins in your pocket, barely a few dollars TT. We produce our own oil too but compared to the rest of our inflated prices we can't really advertise that. Watch how pitch is uprooting trees and houses in La Brea (yes, I said houses), but more than half the country is riddled with these sorry excuses for roads that we have.

I don't understand the details of the government's importing and exporting plans, but I think a lot of the country's current situation is due to greed from those in authority. Sure, we can make money by exporting our resources. But do we have to export it all? (Or rather, does it have to feel like all?) Feels like this country is mostly concerned with keeping up appearances (to an extent) and filling certain pockets.

Renewable Energry In T&T

Very true, there is a lot of development which should have taken place with regards to our resources but instead they lay unutilized due to lazy hands with fat pockets.

Exactly. Ideally, I think we should have enough access to our own resources to maintain the country adequately, or at least some for emergency situations or to start with, and then I see no problem outsourcing the rest. Sure, I've heard people say certain resources are just cheaper to get elsewhere but look at the state of things presently. Clearly something isn't working.

Take wind for example. Instead of building unstable houses high up in the hills where people have come to expect landslides etc, wind turbines could be utilized as a form of clean energy. But building unstable houses fills pockets, no matter how inconveniencing the landslides etc are when they inevitably occur as the area was not meant to support houses. Done properly, turbines could leave the trees and animals in peace, be a symbol of renewable energy for our country, and give us an alternate source of energy (because I don't know what T&TEC really doing with all this power outage and we're only in February).

To start with, I am really not seeing much provisions for hybrid cars. I'm also not seeing a lot of solar initiatives either.

I'd at least expect someone to see the potential investment in wind energy, granted it'd be a hard one to market.

Housing is a big one for me, why is it prime agricultural land with such rich soil being prepared for housing... I cannot understand that. Its as if our routes were never plantations. I feel as though the ability of the people to bargain for what they want is not present. When people attempt to make the right thing known, theres always a 100 more people saying well it doesn't matter etc... Prices keep going up, market conditions keep changing, our resource depletion rate increases, profits are ever more so present yet there is no interest toward renewable energy or any other avenues of economic sustainability. Its all about those in power or those who know someone in power.

Our roads are just deplorable, I've grown to love my 4wd more than anything else since its the only thing that truly handles the road sometimes. I can't say that I don't benefit from the exportation since it allows the government to afford GATE and subsidize fuel prices but at the same time, if pockets are filled less and the focus is on development, we could be so much more than we are right now and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

Imagine we take hours to clear up a road accident, how can we even begin to show readiness in the event of a nationwide emergency. I never forgot the 10 million cost to simply pull a fire truck from a ditch. I still don't know if I believe that one, but then again I do given the mode of operation.

I recall some talk about a 2 million dollar flag. That's totally reasonable for the government, but spending anything like that to focus on using our own natural resources to benefit us in the long run is treated like crazy talk. Priorities eh.

Back