Religious Flags

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

LadyDeath

Senior Marketing Officer
Staff member
LV

Hey guys first of all i would like to start of saying No Disrespect to Anyone's Religion here. I just wanted to point out a few things . Sometimes when you go to the beach or river, we see these religious flags in popular bathing sports such as Mayaro, Tyrico, Manzanilla, Maracas, Las Cuevas, Caura, And Tourism spots such as Maracas Waterfall where tourists and locals both go to chill, relax and have fun. Now for who don't know, these flags are a signs when people do prayers If its Baptists , Shangos , Hindus etc. It's a sacred ritual where in their form of prayer,take out spirits , give offerings or thanks and can be for a number of reasons in these different religions. Now when these rituals are being carried out in these popular places , they CLASH with the human population. Kids pick up deyas and play with them unknowingly, flowers and some even pick through the fruits or cockeyea broom that was left behind. Others even root out the flags that were placed and some even take the soharee leaves as well.
When i see these things and alot of people other than myself we tend to feel as if we are intruding on these grounds and interrupting what was left there. Now in my opinion, i had the chance of going to the maracas waterfall and
there were black, yellow and red flags everywhere. Now this place is really small and on one side are cockeyea brooms with the black and yellow bands on them to "beat out spirits and fan them away" used in the syncretic religions of the caribbean and then they were fruits and a soharee leaf with flowers and stuff right where the water is falling and people have to bathe.

My point is if people are doing prayers some do it in a deserted non-bathing area aside from where majority of the population are. Yes you are doing your prayers but many have to take into consideration the public as well because these are bathing areas and your tings tend to get destroyed.

Our country is so superstitious & Children are not educated about these things and tend to destroy them and many parents believe that if you touch these items bad things or jumbie would follow!

Another is tourist spots as well such as the famous maracas waterfall that attracts tousands of people have to be kept clean, please do your SACRED prayers aside from where people have to walk or bathe or even to the far side of the area.

We respect everyone's religion and we feel as if we are intruding on these sacred grounds when we see signs of prayers in public places where we have to bathe or walk. It Doesn't really bother people but
please be mindful to select a very good location that your things that have to be left behind don't be destroyed or deter people from bathing because the food , fruits etc get in the waters.

Back