Relatives Want Probe Of Latest Police Killing

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!
A

alexk

GuardianMedia.jpg

Relatives of Keshan “Teeths” Ramsumair, 22, claim he was running away from police officers when he was shot at Upper 7th Avenue, Malick, on Friday.

Eyewitnesses alleged that as he fell to the ground he lifted his hands and begged the officers not to shoot him. However, it is alleged one of the officers stood over Ramsumair and fired several more shots, blowing out his fingers from both hands.

Ramsumair’s grieving mother and sister yesterday called for a full investigation into his death by the Police Complaints Authority, which is headed by David West.

Speaking with the T&T Guardian at the Forensic Science Centre, St James, Ramsumair’s sister-in-law, Christina David, who spoke on behalf of his mother and sister, said they believe police killed the wrong man.

“I believe that the police was really looking for (name called),” David said.

The person she spoke of is a close relative to Ramsumair.

David said Ramsumair, who she admitted old marijuana, was spotted with another man in the area by the police.

“When they saw the police they started to run because Teeths had a little weed on him and when they start to run police shoot, but like it had other police hiding in the bushes so when Teeths fall one of the police officers stood over him and shot him several times again. All his fingers shoot off,” she claimed.

Ramsumair’s mother, who was inconsolable, added: “I want justice for my son.”

David also denied Ramsumair had any pending matters before the court as claimed by police officers.

According to a police report, North Eastern Division Task Force (NEDTF) officers claimed they were involved in a shoot-out with Ramsumair after opened fire on them as they were approaching him. The police report also stated that a firearm was recovered on the scene.

But relatives denied he had any weapon.

“He used to smoke he weed and was an alcoholic but gun he never had. There is even footage that captured everything,” David said.

Back