PS4 SLIM - Actual Leaked Pics - Unboxing Video - Full Review

Welcome!

TriniVoices.com / TriniFans.com is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!

SPECIES

LV

Full Review: PS4 Slim – Not Yet Announced by Sony!

PS4%20Slim%201.jpg

The PS4 Slim model is, simply put, a smaller PS4. It doesn’t perform any better or worse than the previous model, but does run cooler and quieter. It has a slightly improved controller, but the box itself doesn’t run any better. Don’t expect Xbox One S-style HDR and 4K blue-ray support. This is still a basic PS4 model with no internal upgrades over the previous iteration, and is not the upcoming PS4 Neo. It does not make games run better, or upscale them to 4K.

The PS4 Slim’s dimensions come in at 264 x 39 x 288mm, which is a considerable drop in size compared to the 275 x 53 x 305mm size of the standard model. It cuts around a third of the console’s height off, and solid few centimeters off it on each of the surrounding edges, which is nice for cramped entertainment centres.

Alongside the Slim, a new, redesigned DualShock 4 comes included in the package. The most obvious and highly touted difference with this new controller model is that there is a strip of light at the top of the touch pad which allows the colour of the light bar to be seen during normal play (without having to point the back of the controller at your face). This thin light-strip is minor enough to not be distracting, but visible enough to make all those games that feature light-bar colour changes to denote things like health actually able to feasibly make use of the feature.

PS4%20Slim%202.jpg

What is perhaps more interesting about the new controller model is that, when connected to a PS4 Slim or a regular model PS4, it transfers data entirely over wired connection rather than wireless. While this may seem minor, this allows a more frame-precise reaction time than wireless play, which will be incredibly useful for games like Street Fighter V. It’s a minor difference, but it’s a slightly tighter response which may make a difference to some players.

The D-Pad also feels a little different, sloping down in the centre to give a central dip to rest your finger in a way that makes rolling between directions more comfortable.

Beyond the controller and the smaller size, the biggest functional difference, shown in the above unboxing, is the easier hard drive replacement. There is now a thin piece of plastic on the rear corner of the console which, when removed easily by hand, exposes the SATA drive port. You simply undo one screw with a standard screwdriver, replace your drive, and replace the screw. The plastic covering then clips back on, but it is worth noting the thin nature of the plastic does make it feel a little flimsy and in danger of breaking when trying to clip it back into place. I removed and replaced it thirty consecutive times to test its durability and it did hold up, but it never felt terribly secure.

The Slim model supports the same maximum SATA drive size as the original system model.

The console now features a fully matte finish, which to me feels much nicer than the original glossy panel, and a redesigned, more curved look. While I am a fan of the curved design, many online have taken an instant dislike for aesthetic reasons. Honestly, once I had the unit in my hands I never stopped to think about the new curved look, I just think it looks nice.

The USB ports on the system are now spread apart on the front of the system, with the power and eject buttons now clearly labelled and sitting inside the dipped recess at the front of the unit. The power button features a line of tiny led lights which replace the functionality of the old model’s light strip.

The biggest difference made to the back of the unit is the total removal of the optical audio port. The optical port is not acknowledged as an audio output option on the in-system menus to account for this.

Overall, I really have no complaints about the PS4 Slim, besides the removal of the optical port which I have not ever personally used. It’s smaller, thinner, quieter, cooler, features a nicer controller with additional features, and I personally love the new matte curved design. It’s not an Xbox One S-style upgrade with additional 4K functionality for those using ultra-HD screens, but I won’t be upset seeing this replace the current model.

Just be warned, if you want an optical port on your PS4 make sure to buy the current model before it vanishes.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/review-playstation-4-slim/

I personalty do not like it, its looks as if it was created to cut cost. I also prefer Optical Jack for best quality audio. Its cool, but i never under the reason for creating slim versions it not like you will be carrying it all over the place as an portable device.

BTW: the intro of that video with the butts was freaky lol.

I personalty do not like it, its looks as if it was created to cut cost. I also prefer Optical Jack for best quality audio. Its cool, but i never under the reason for creating slim versions it not like you will be carrying it all over the place as an portable device.

BTW: the intro of that video with the butts was freaky lol.
I think it is cool though... I actually prefer the slim matte versions of both the PS3 and PS4.

We all have so many devices now that are in close proximity to the TV, it is nice when they can make it as small as possible with the same features.

The matte finish is also welcomed since the glossy finish always end up looking horrible. Ever since PS3, the black glossy areas were fingerprint magnets and easily scratched with the slightest touch of a cloth.

We all know that Sony is all about money now... while value is on the back burner.
I think the first versions were always glossy though, just to be an eye catcher.
The Slim versions are to correct the problems that they initially, purposely created just to keep sales moving.

Back